Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2020, 12:28 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus screen replacement and lessons learned

Lessons learned from today's focus screen debacle are:

1. Don't use sharp tools with optics ever
The metal pointed forceps that Focusing Screen sends with the screen can damage a screen with minimal force. Be careful, or better yet, use something else.

2. Make sure latches are latched when you latch them.
First installation showed me I needed a shim adjustment, so I installed a shim and thought I had the door latched. I did not. The screen fell out while a lens was mounted, and dismounting the lens somehow created a large s-shaped gouge on the new screen.

3) If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I didn't really *need* this focus screen. I just read too many positive reviews about it and thought I'd give one a try. The brief few minutes I spent with it didn't exactly impress me as much as the new technique I bumped into after the cleanup of this mess.

4) Isopropyl cleans stuff real good.
Re-installation of the stock screen showed it was dirty. No, actually filthy. I used 70% isopropyl and some Qtips to clean both sides, and problem solved!
[edit] - Turns out IPA might ruin some plastics, so clean distilled water is best for light cleaning, according to just about everyone who commented. That said, 70% did not damage my screen and it did do a good job cleaning.

5) A new technique instead of new gear could be the best option.
I found if I start with the lens focused behind the target, then bring focus past the target thru to the front, then walk the focus back slowly until desired plane is in focus, I can hit the intended target better than just "eyeballing it." I was able to do this a few times with a few objects. Frankly, I think the only way to hit focus faster is with an EVF.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone.

Last edited by jcdoss; 09-21-2020 at 06:44 AM.
09-19-2020, 12:59 PM - 3 Likes   #2

Couple of notes:

Wrap the tips of any sharp or metal objects with some tape. Plain old masking tape works well and usually won't leave sticky residue. Or get some of that plastic dip stuff for putting grips on tools. Or use wooden implements.

Isopropyl alcohol can damage some plastics. I had it fog one of the replacement screens for my Minolta. Dish soap and lukewarm water is a better alternative. Rinse well with distilled water to avoid any residue.
09-19-2020, 02:09 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
2. Make sure latches are latched when you latch them.
It helps to put the shim under the shim frame and not try to sandwich it in with the screen.

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Isopropyl alcohol can damage some plastics. I had it fog one of the replacement screens for my Minolta. Dish soap and lukewarm water is a better alternative. Rinse well with distilled water to avoid any residue.
Yep...maybe even wear clean nitrile gloves while doing the wash. (Your suggestion is the same technique recommended by Katzeye for screen cleaning.)

Steve
09-19-2020, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The focus screen is glass, not plastic, right?

09-19-2020, 02:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Most SLR ones are plastic not glass and IPA usually destroys them very fast.....like instantly. Of yours has survived you have been very lucky indeed.
09-19-2020, 04:16 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
The focus screen is glass, not plastic, right?
Plastic, that is why they are so fragile. An errant brush from a fingernail can flatten the Fresnel ridges.

Steve
09-19-2020, 04:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You only hold the tab with the tweezers.... but it is quite a delicate operation.... I love my S screen.... sorry your attempt didn't work for you.... they aren't cheap!

09-21-2020, 12:02 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best for cleaning anything is purified, a.k.a. distilled water. Damp (not soak) a microfibre cloth with it. Wipe the object and afterwards dry it with a fresh dish towel (cotton) or a plain tissue.
Repeat if needed.
Please do not hold me responsible for destroyed gear because you do not know the difference between a damp (ok for electronic) and a wet (deadly) microfibre cloth.
09-21-2020, 11:09 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Unregistered User

Nothing expresses true wisdom like the voice of experience.
09-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
Nothing expresses true wisdom like the voice of experience.
Yes, but sadly we all seem to learn by experience only.
09-22-2020, 04:32 AM   #11
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Yes, but sadly we all seem to learn by experience only.
So true. I've always maintained that it's best to learn from OTHER people's experience. Hence the need for the study of history, queen of the sciences.
09-22-2020, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
So true. I've always maintained that it's best to learn from OTHER people's experience. Hence the need for the study of history, queen of the sciences.
About all I read is history or biography. Harry Truman once said: "The only thing new is the history you don't know yet.".
09-23-2020, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #13

You're clearly much braver than I am. I consider myself quite handy with small repair but am terrified of opening up my camera. Especially the view finder housing. So I assume that you didn't get the screen installed? I can see the temptation of one of these kits as someone who uses a lot of manual focus lenses. Split screen would be nice but spoooky spooky install.

On a side note: I was really questioning how these focusing screens could be $1500+...before I noticed that the prices were in Taiwanese Dollars by default.

Last edited by spurious-signal; 09-23-2020 at 08:13 PM.
09-23-2020, 07:13 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's not hard once you know what you're doing. The screen sits in a frame which closes with a latch that I failed to secure. I am contemplating getting another one, but not another S-type. I like the microprism model F6-J.