Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 42 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2020, 10:34 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I recommend reading the hole manual from start to finish. You will find some jems in there...
The hole manual? Is that about the lens mount? (I couldn't resist)

09-28-2020, 03:16 AM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
. . . when there is a specific issue, going to the Appendix at the back of the manual will narrow down which part of the manual to read.
hey

what the ________

now you tell me

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The hole manual? Is that about the lens mount? . . .
clearly it's the aperture being referred to by " hole "

Last edited by aslyfox; 09-28-2020 at 04:31 AM.
09-28-2020, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #18

A little different but still a display issue. With the K1MII I find it annoying that in manual mode, Live View you get a stopped down view, which is really annoying, not to mention mostly impossible when trying to focus manually. The only workaround I've found is rotate the dial to Bulb, focus then rotate back to manual. Any thoughts on where I've missed this in the manual?
09-28-2020, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Modern manuals are pretty awful things - perhaps because there's just so much functionality in these computers with image sensors that we've learned to call "cameras"
I don't think it has anything to do with the complexity of the product but rather the desire to cost cut 'unnecessary' areas. Tech writing has always been a production
cost 'necessary evil' even in the best of times.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
the user manual for an old Yaesu radio receiver I own. It's in letter-sized format, printed on thick, glossy paper, bound with an even thicker cover, and a pleasure to hold, look at and read. It not only explains how - and, importantly, WHY - each control on the radio is operated, but includes a full service procedure for testing, trouble-shooting and aligning it using basic tools almost anyone would own (or could borrow). Compared to modern manuals, it's a revelation.
Heck, the manual for the K10D was at least twice as thick as the manual for the K-3. That tendency towards cost cutting extends into the modern age.

Anyone remember the novella sized manuals that used to ship with PC video games? Almost no developer writes manuals like that anymore; the burden
of writing a 'manual' has been shifted onto the players, in the guise of fan hosted wikia pages and such. One might argue that fan sites like Pentax Forums,
and the internet in general, have let companies like Ricoh off the hook when it comes to providing an in depth manual.

09-28-2020, 08:08 AM   #20
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
hey

what the ________

now you tell me

clearly it's the aperture being referred to by " hole "
Haha, very funny. :/ Now I understand. Hole as hole in the ground. Whole as all of it...

I am Swedish...
09-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I found the info screen almost blinding

---------- Post added 09-27-20 at 05:55 PM ----------

impossible, so how blinding , lightly on a couple of keys (depending on which functions I have priority) as needed I leisurely adjust the brightness of the screen so that I don't enter the menu,
or I didn't understand you well ,or I don’t understand your sarcasm

Last edited by mbukal; 09-28-2020 at 12:03 PM.
09-28-2020, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The first thing I don’t like on my K1 MKII
It’s taken me a long time , (18 months and over 10,000 shots) but I finally found something I don’t really like about the K1

You can’t turn the rear display off AT ALL

Sure, you can turn it red for low light, but it is still very annoying that it simply does not have an option to turn off.

At least not that I have found.
QuoteOriginally posted by Slavek Quote
OK - press INFO button two times. Third option on the screen is switching off the display
So now the OP has the same number of things to dislike on the K-1ii as I do - none

09-28-2020, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mbukal Quote
impossible, so how blinding , lightly on a couple of keys (depending on which functions I have priority) as needed I leisurely adjust the brightness of the screen so that I don't enter the menu,
or I didn't understand you well ,or I don’t understand your sarcasm
I was at the time focusing on Jupiter, while 130 km north of Toronto in the middle of a farm field it was, except for the info screen absolutely dark. Yes, it was blinding and distracting compared to the focusing screen

---------- Post added 09-28-20 at 05:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
So now the OP has the same number of things to dislike on the K-1ii as I do - none
It is a great camera.
09-28-2020, 06:39 PM - 3 Likes   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
I agree 100%, but many members don't use (and don't want to use) every feature of their cameras, so for them, reading the whole manual is toooo much.
Sure, but when somebody wants to know about a feature *and* it's in the manual ...

I'm in IT so see this all the time ... 'RTFM' is how my industry works. I'd be fifty percent less employed if everyone bothered to read instructions.
09-28-2020, 06:59 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I'd be fifty percent less employed if everyone bothered to read instructions.
Viva le laziness........................................
09-28-2020, 10:10 PM - 5 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to say, I love this community. Just this is worth owning a Pentax or two.
10-02-2020, 12:58 PM   #27
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smoke665 Quote
A little different but still a display issue. With the K1MII I find it annoying that in manual mode, Live View you get a stopped down view, which is really annoying, not to mention mostly impossible when trying to focus manually. The only workaround I've found is rotate the dial to Bulb, focus then rotate back to manual. Any thoughts on where I've missed this in the manual?
If your lens has an aperture ring with an A setting then use the manual aperture setting rather than the "A" to keep the aperture open.
10-02-2020, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Sure, but when somebody wants to know about a feature *and* it's in the manual ...

I'm in IT so see this all the time ... 'RTFM' is how my industry works. I'd be fifty percent less employed if everyone bothered to read instructions.
and 50% less marriages if we all read that manual first.... just imagine if there was a manual on how having kids worked....
10-02-2020, 05:34 PM - 2 Likes   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
and 50% less marriages if we all read that manual first.... just imagine if there was a manual on how having kids worked....
Well, you see blokes marrying for the fourth or fifth time, I'm not sure any manual would have any effect, even if page three said: "A definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results. DON'T DO IT!".

Last edited by clackers; 10-02-2020 at 09:04 PM.
10-02-2020, 07:27 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Veteran Member

Well, you see blokes marrying for the fourth or fifth time, I'm not sure any manual would have any effect, even if page three said: "DON'T DO IT!".
Yes.... they are beyond even a quick reference guide......