Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-11-2020, 01:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Highlights w/Histogram + Highlight Alert show overexposure incorrectly w/manual lens

I have not been able to figure this out. I can stop it down all the way, increase the shutter and still both the histogram and the Highlight Alert in Live View show my highlights are clipping when using a manual focus lens. It happens if there is any white or near white in the frame. My AE Metering is set to Multi-Segment. I am shooting M using a Rokinon 14mm ED.

Suggestions?

10-11-2020, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by jrdimond Quote
I have not been able to figure this out. I can stop it down all the way, increase the shutter and still both the histogram and the Highlight Alert in Live View show my highlights are clipping when using a manual focus lens. It happens if there is any white or near white in the frame. My AE Metering is set to Multi-Segment. I am shooting M using a Rokinon 14mm ED.

Suggestions?
If you use a manual focus lens you cannot use multi segment metering. If you set the metering to multi-segment it is automatically switched to center weighted. That is why you keep seeing that the highlights are clipping.
10-11-2020, 03:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
If you use a manual focus lens you cannot use multi segment metering. If you set the metering to multi-segment it is automatically switched to center weighted. That is why you keep seeing that the highlights are clipping.
Thanks!
10-11-2020, 04:58 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jrdimond Quote

Suggestions?
With a manual aperture lens you can only use Manual exposure mode too *. press the green button or use the DOF preview lever to turn on the meter. After the picture check the histogram.

* You can actually use Av mode too with a manual lens and you should get correct metering...but it will always be wide open.