Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In-Camera processing vs. Lightroom

So, the custom Image finishing tones can be set before the picture is taken.
Can I also have the taken image up on the camera at the same time I am in the controls of the custom finishing tones?
I'd like to see how each tone effects the photo without taking a multiple of photos and manually switching to the next tone.

How do I do that if possible?
Is it even worth it to process images inside the camera when it appears that Lightroom , etc. can do the same things the inner works of the camera can do?

Thanks!

forever thankful that you guys are around to ask for help.

10-15-2020, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Markpszk Quote
So, the custom Image finishing tones can be set before the picture is taken.
Can I also have the taken image up on the camera at the same time I am in the controls of the custom finishing tones?
I'd like to see how each tone effects the photo without taking a multiple of photos and manually switching to the next tone.

How do I do that if possible?
Is it even worth it to process images inside the camera when it appears that Lightroom , etc. can do the same things the inner works of the camera can do?

Thanks!

forever thankful that you guys are around to ask for help.
Yes and yes.

Shoot raw. Then you can create a jpeg in camera using the profile you wish, or use LR to create a jpeg from that raw using the same profile.

You would be better off learning about raw processing and shoot raw and use LR tools other than the Pentax profiles however
10-16-2020, 04:14 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Yes and yes.

Shoot raw. Then you can create a jpeg in camera using the profile you wish, or use LR to create a jpeg from that raw using the same profile.

You would be better off learning about raw processing and shoot raw and use LR tools other than the Pentax profiles however
thanks!

I have been shooting RAW. I'm still confused about the Custom Image because it does effect the Raw image. whether Auto Select/Bright/Radiant/ Flat/ etc.

Or doesn't it matter where the Raw image starts when you get into Light Room?

My confusion is just that point.

I'm looking for the proper & best way to produce a Raw image with the best color/ etc. to take to post processing. Some of the Custom Image settings seem to produce a better Raw image.

So, can I take an image with, lets just say, the Custom Image setting of (Auto Select), then pull that image up on the camera viewfinder and go through the other Custom Image settings and save the best one for post processing??
10-16-2020, 06:10 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks!

I have been shooting RAW. I'm still confused about the Custom Image because it does effect the Raw image. whether Auto Select/Bright/Radiant/ Flat/ etc.

Or doesn't it matter where the Raw image starts when you get into Light Room?

My confusion is just that point.
The custom image settings in-camera will not affect the raw file. They will affect the jpeg preview (included in the raw file). It is the latter that you see on the back of the camera screen. When you look at those raw files in LR the profile applied will be what you have set in preferences..... see here .........Set up raw defaults I have mine set to Adobe default. It does not really matter because none of the pentax profiles or the many Adobe profiles make any permanent changes to the raw file. You can select a profile of your choice and then adjust the sliders to your taste.

I'm looking for the proper & best way to produce a Raw image with the best color/ etc. to take to post processing. Some of the Custom Image settings seem to produce a better Raw image.
The custom image settings in-camera will not make permanent changes to the raw file. They will affect the jpeg preview (included in the raw file). It is the latter that you see on the back of the camera screen. This is what I do....

I have the setting in camera to natural. (remember this is not affecting the raw file) but does help when interpreting the histogram.
I import the raw into LR.
In develop module in the BASIC tab I have the profile set to Adobe Color. I find this to be a good starting point. I will then use the colour sliders in the different tabs to get the look I want. You could also look at the other profiles. Use the browse function to see the Pentax ones. When you have done all the adjustments to the raw file then export it a a JPEG. If you want to do something different with that raw file, reset the sliders to zero and start again.

So, can I take an image with, lets just say, the Custom Image setting of (Auto Select), then pull that image up on the camera viewfinder and go through the other Custom Image settings and save the best one for post processing??
No. You will not be affecting the raw file. Best is to open the raw file in LR and then look at the various profiles in there, including the Pentax ones.

10-16-2020, 06:16 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Interesting! Thanks for replying.

It seems that a lot of the time, my RAW image is not really capturing say, the blue in the sky I can see with my eyes. I just want to know if there is anything pre-shot that will effect the Raw image.

Also: If I use a Polarizing filter to take the shot, does that effect the RAW information attached to the image?
10-16-2020, 06:20 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It seems that a lot of the time, my RAW image is not really capturing say, the blue in the sky I can see with my eyes. I just want to know if there is anything pre-shot that will effect the Raw image.
This is the whole point of shooting raw. If you want the blue in the sky to be lighter/darker/more saturated/different tone...... you just play with the blue slider
If this adversely affects other parts of your image then it is time to get your brain round Photoshop and do local editing on just the sky. I know this is also possible in LR but I prefer the PS concept of working in Layers.

Also: If I use a Polarizing filter to take the shot, does that effect the RAW information attached to the image?
Yes, you will generally get a more saturated darker blue.

---------- Post added 10-16-20 at 02:23 PM ----------

I actually prefer using Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw to using LR for raw files. I may be old fashioned but I still cannot get my head around the concept of making changes to a raw file and then not doing anything with it.....ie create a JPEG or TIFF. In Photoshop you have to save the developed image, you cannot leave it hanging there like you can in LR.

Last edited by pschlute; 10-16-2020 at 06:26 AM.
10-16-2020, 06:26 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cool!

Thats very informative!
Thank you!

10-16-2020, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

RAW. Is exactly that, the information captured at the time, anything else, adjusted, ie, 99% of everything you see posted. You can play around in post processing, or trust in your Pentax camera. I see different dslr's as different films, each has it's own strengths and weaknesses. OOC. Is an actual thing.

And, in my mind, very much a strength. .

Per. Roll of film, of different kinds, circa, let's say 1995, a good roll of film, was $17.00aud, for 36 photos, and $17.00 dollars to process, you, could afford to shoot, a roll a month, on holidays, 2 rolls.....and people today winge about buffers, when they can't take 4000200 photos in a row.... And have to wait 24seconds for buffering.
Try waiting, 4 months to be able to afford the cost of processing a roll of 36 photos you took a month and a half ago.
10-16-2020, 11:45 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
RAW. Is exactly that, the information captured at the time, anything else, adjusted, ie, 99% of everything you see posted. You can play around in post processing, or trust in your Pentax camera. I see different dslr's as different films, each has it's own strengths and weaknesses. OOC. Is an actual thing.

And, in my mind, very much a strength. .

Per. Roll of film, of different kinds, circa, let's say 1995, a good roll of film, was $17.00aud, for 36 photos, and $17.00 dollars to process, you, could afford to shoot, a roll a month, on holidays, 2 rolls.....and people today winge about buffers, when they can't take 4000200 photos in a row.... And have to wait 24seconds for buffering.
Try waiting, 4 months to be able to afford the cost of processing a roll of 36 photos you took a month and a half ago.
Back in the day I shot mostly slide films. For print film there was a place called Clark Color Labs. A mail in service processing service. You could get a 36 exposure roll of film processed and printed using Kodak papers and chemistry for about $3.00 plus a buck or two for the mail. Got your prints back in about a week.
04-19-2021, 09:14 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

t seems that a lot of the time, my RAW image is not really capturing say, the blue in the sky I can see with my eyes. I just want to know if there is anything pre-shot that will effect the Raw image.

RAWs usually are bland since they are not applying any filters. But once you get it into a program such as lightroom, the choices are endless.

Now, some people are those that want everything in camera with minimal post processing. Which is fine. Then there are those that apply their artistic touches to the image.

Both are fine, it all depends on you. Find what you like. If you are good with the image you see on the back of the LCD, then save as JPG and call it good. If you want to take the image and maybe enhance it have some more oomph then learning to process in Post is a must.

But it is YOUR style. Also, your style can change over time. Mine has.