Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2020, 02:01 PM   #1

Manufacturer Defect

My name "Taher Ahmad" from the State of Kuwait. I am a regular customer of Pentax cameras since 2015 when I purchase first camera "K-5 IIs" & "K-3 in 2017".
Lately, I have purchase "Pentax K-1 Limited Silver " in December 2019.
Unfortunately, I noticed came across two defects after using this camera they are.
1- The focus of the camera is very soft not like my previous cameras which I mentioned above I tried different lenses on this camera but the result was the same!.
2- The camera handgrip is loose when I holding the camera gives a peculiar sound that I find not normal.
Kindly, guide me on what action should I take.

Last edited by Adam; 10-20-2020 at 02:48 PM. Reason: removed PII
10-20-2020, 02:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out my reply in your guest thread:

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Since it sounds like there might be a physical problem with the camera, the best thing would be to file a warranty claim and send the camera in to the service center referenced in the paperwork that came with it (the warranty is good for 1 year in most markets, and 2 years in Europe). That might be one of the European locations, or a local shop. I'd contact Ricoh to seek guidance on this if needed.

It's also possible that there's nothing wrong with the camera. It's normal for there to be a "clunk" sound coming from the SR mechanism when the camera is not in use. It is a bit louder with the K-1, since it has a larger sensor. Also, as for the softness, please do create an account and share some sample photos. It's possible that the increased resolution is giving the illusion of softness, or that there's an issue with the lens/technique.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-20-2020, 02:48 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's possible that the increased resolution is giving the illusion of softness, or that there's an issue with the lens/technique.
... or, indeed, that AF fine adjustment needs to be carried out for the lenses in question. Slight errors in focus accuracy are quite noticeable on a 36MP sensor...
10-20-2020, 03:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Taher,

You should calibrate all your lenses according to the following, if you haven't done so already:

Fixing Front and Back Focus - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

10-20-2020, 04:08 PM   #5

A "creaking" noise has been reported around the handgrip by some early K-1 owners. One or two mentioned tightening some screws in the battery compartment solved the problem. Looseness around the grip might be the rubber covering needs to be re-glued. I seem to recall a post on this having to be done.

The camera should still be under warranty. If calibrating the lenses doesn't help the camera is still under warranty.
10-20-2020, 07:58 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Taher, your post suggests you might think these forums are for official Pentax support. We are all customers and volunteers here, not official representatives of the Ricoh/Pentax company.

We'll gladly help you learn more about the camera and figure out if it's actually broken.
10-20-2020, 08:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also post some unmodified images that are soft with full exif data.
11-12-2020, 07:39 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Taher Ahmad Quote
My name "Taher Ahmad" from the State of Kuwait. I am a regular customer of Pentax cameras since 2015 when I purchase first camera "K-5 IIs" & "K-3 in 2017".
Lately, I have purchase "Pentax K-1 Limited Silver " in December 2019.
Unfortunately, I noticed came across two defects after using this camera they are.
1- The focus of the camera is very soft not like my previous cameras which I mentioned above I tried different lenses on this camera but the result was the same!.
2- The camera handgrip is loose when I holding the camera gives a peculiar sound that I find not normal.
Kindly, guide me on what action should I take.
How I can send the camera to Ricoh service center

11-16-2020, 02:38 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Taher Ahmad Quote
How I can send the camera to Ricoh service center
Taher,

Does Kuwait have a Ricoh/Pentax Distributor? If it does, please send it to the service centre for them to check it out.
11-16-2020, 04:37 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

May be of use >>
Attached Images

6 Days Ago   #11

I don't know if this will help as there are no Ricoh service centers listed for the Middle East:

Pentax Repair Facilities (Wordwide listing) - PentaxForums.com