Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 58 Likes Search this Thread
01-05-2021, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is clearly not infallible, but I only ever take one card out at a time and then only to download files to the laptop, after which I replace the card in the camera immediately. I do this at the end of any day where I have shot images - sometimes several times a day if I touch base between bouts of photography. Not infallible, as I say - and doesn't help with card failures - but its not let me down yet

01-05-2021, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just use the cable to transfer images. That way, the card never leaves my camera.
01-05-2021, 12:02 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
I just use the cable to transfer images. That way, the card never leaves my camera.
Now that you mention it I wonder where I put that cable?
01-05-2021, 12:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Now that you mention it I wonder where I put that cable?
Haha, I forgot to say that I leave the cable dangling from my desktop.

01-05-2021, 12:20 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I really wish the "No Card in Camera" would appear prominently upon start up
You can check the top LCD on startup.

But I got my first "No Card in Camera" message a couple of days ago. Thing is, I'd been shooting for a while, and chimping the images, so there really was a card in the camera!

Explanation? It was cold, around the lower operating limit for the K-1. But that low limit is no use, if it's below the temperature limit for the card.

Back in the warm, I took out the battery to recharge it, and let the camera and the card get back to their comfort zone.

Unfortunately, the K-1 with a good lens is too large to keep under my coat, the way I've usually done before with lesser cameras.
01-05-2021, 01:28 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't own a dual slot camera, or a laptop. All of my file transferring is done inside at the desktop computer. When I pull the card, I leave the door on the camera open as a reminder.
01-05-2021, 01:32 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Kind of inbuilt memory (say for 50 images) would save me several times.
That’s a strangely interesting idea. Could they do it?

01-05-2021, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
When I pull the card, I leave the door on the camera open as a reminder.
I do that too, but almost stuck the K-3 back in the bag with the door open one day as I was running out to get that once in a lifetime shot.

Steve
01-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Michail_P Quote
Could they do it?
The existing memory is what we call "buffer". It may be possible to operate the camera on buffer alone; but of course the images will be lost if the camera is turned off.

Steve
01-05-2021, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

I will stick a spare card in my wallet when I plan on being out and too far from the bag. Has saved me more than once.
01-05-2021, 02:00 PM - 2 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I do that too, but almost stuck the K-3 back in the bag with the door open one day as I was running out to get that once in a lifetime shot.

Steve
The doors are so fragile I wouldn't invite a problem by not closing it. I almost always grab my camera first by the Spyder-strap and wouldn't necessarily notice the SD door was open.

For others it might work, but my luck says nope.

Last edited by gatorguy; 01-05-2021 at 02:28 PM.
01-05-2021, 10:49 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The existing memory is what we call "buffer". It may be possible to operate the camera on buffer alone; but of course the images will be lost if the camera is turned off.
He's talking about having photo storage memory specifically for that purpose; some older cameras had that, plus a card slot, but no Pentax DSLRs.

You *may* be able to take one photo, and have it stay in the buffer without a card until you turn it off, but maybe not.

Edit: Actually that wouldn't work, opening the door to insert a card will turn off the camera.
01-05-2021, 11:08 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
He's talking about having photo storage memory specifically for that purpose; some older cameras had that, plus a card slot, but no Pentax DSLRs.

You *may* be able to take one photo, and have it stay in the buffer without a card until you turn it off, but maybe not.

Edit: Actually that wouldn't work, opening the door to insert a card will turn off the camera.
I remember older cameras that would write to buffer for in-store demo purposes, but none that provided non-volatile RAM. It is the lack of such that makes supporting such a feature unfeasible as anything other than a hardware upgrade.

Steve
01-06-2021, 02:43 AM   #29
Pentaxian

If you use a battery grip, there may be a slot to store a spare SD card.
01-06-2021, 08:08 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
When I pull the card, I leave the door on the camera open as a reminder.
Yuh - me too - I should have mentioned that