Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2021, 11:27 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-1 battery cover

Does anyone know any way to purchase a Pentax K-1 battery cover? I have checked with Precision, and they say they do not sell parts. I cannot find anything on eBay or Amazon nor even by just googling the entire internet. Any assistance will be gratefully appreciated.

02-17-2021, 11:38 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
US Camera may have one. They are no longer able to get parts from Ricoh, but will fulfill from residual inventory while stock lasts.

USCamera | Parts Downloads Light Seals | Cameras Lenses More | HomeUSCamera | Knowledgable – Large Inventory – Fast Shipping

Steve
02-17-2021, 11:54 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please PM me,
02-17-2021, 02:03 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
US Camera may have one. They are no longer able to get parts from Ricoh, but will fulfill from residual inventory while stock lasts.

USCamera | Parts Downloads Light Seals | Cameras Lenses More | HomeUSCamera | Knowledgable – Large Inventory – Fast Shipping

Steve
Thanks Steve. Unfortunately, that is the first place I checked and they have no supply or idea of how to get supply on this and other similar Pentax parts.

02-17-2021, 09:30 PM   #5

Try Advance Camera in Oregon. They won't sell you parts either but are (or was) an authorized Ricoh repair service for non-warranty work. Their rates are usually significantly lower than Precision's even if they have to send the equipment to Precision (in some cases).
02-18-2021, 03:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Try Advance Camera in Oregon. They won't sell you parts either but are (or was) an authorized Ricoh repair service for non-warranty work. Their rates are usually significantly lower than Precision's even if they have to send the equipment to Precision (in some cases).
Thank you. I have solved my problem as a kind member is sending me a cover from his damaged parts camera.
04-18-2021, 03:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I had my door snap in half when the camera fell from a table. When I had the door open when the battery was charging.

I used plastic model cement to glue the two pieces together. And it worked! So depending on your damage, that might help.

04-18-2021, 04:34 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
I had my door snap in half when the camera fell from a table. When I had the door open when the battery was charging.

I used plastic model cement to glue the two pieces together. And it worked! So depending on your damage, that might help.
Thank you. I also fixed mine using a sort of magic glue, and then a kind member sent me an intact part, so I have two solutions.
04-18-2021, 07:03 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Thank you. I have solved my problem as a kind member is sending me a cover from his damaged parts camera.
Bless this good friend. I suspect he is the same person who supplied me with an AF button. I won't give his name as he chooses to help on his terms where he has the part.
04-19-2021, 06:13 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Bless this good friend. I suspect he is the same person who supplied me with an AF button. I won't give his name as he chooses to help on his terms where he has the part.
Yes, he just wants to help and does not care about payment or even expressions of appreciation, but it is very much appreciated any way. The world needs more people like him!
04-25-2021, 12:10 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by SirTomster Quote
For the record which cement did you use? They are based on different solvents some of which may not work on the resins used in the camera case. Typical solvents are xylene, toluene and MEK.

Thanks
04-25-2021, 03:25 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
For the record which cement did you use? They are based on different solvents some of which may not work on the resins used in the camera case. Typical solvents are xylene, toluene and MEK.

Thanks
Apologies, but I did not do it myself. I had a jeweler do it for me. Alas, it has broken again, and now I will use the unbroken part as a replacement.
04-25-2021, 01:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks
It was Tamiya cement for models.
04-25-2021, 04:46 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
In my experience, depending on the type of plastic, the plastic specific mixed epoxies are the better repair adhesives, and the UV hardened materials are perhaps the best. That said, in every case, pull-strength is stronger than shear-strength (bending/twisting).
04-25-2021, 06:59 PM   #15

Model glues or cements work by melting the plastic and forming a weld or probably more accurately a meld (combination of melting and welding).. The classic tube model airplane glue is toluene mixed with styrene. The dissolved styrene gives the glue body and provides the welding material. Bottle or "liquid" model glues contain less styrene or may even be almost pure solvent. Typical solvents are toluene, xylene, Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) or acetone. Tamiya extra-thin model cement is 50-50 butyl acetate and acetone.

Model kits are usually made from styrene / polystyrene which isn't a very strong plastic - it is rather brittle and cracks or shatters easily. Anyone who has dropped their Spitfire MkII on a concrete floor will know what I mean. If the solvent won't dissolve the plastic being glued the weld will only be as strong as the styrene used in the glue.

PVC pipe glue/cement is typically MEK mixed with ABS plastic. ABS is much stronger than styrene so PVC pipe glue should give a stronger weld.

Super glues or cyanoacrylates form bonds with the joining surface and cures as an acrylic. It requires moisture to form the bonds and plastic chains. UV cure cyanoacrylates can form stronger bonds through faster and more complete curing as long as the UV can penetrate throughout the material.