Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2021, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should I get the D-BG6 Battery Grip when I buy a K-1 Mark II?

I think I'm finally going to take a plunge and get the full frame K-1 Mark II. I've been shooting with Pentax for over 50 years (Spotmatic in 1970), have a dozen different film Pentax bodies and lenses to go with them, a K-70 which I really enjoy using, and a 645n also. I'll get the body with the D-FA 28-90 (after a recent discussion here where everyone convinced me it is a great lens). So, my final question is, should I get the grip as well? I really like using the battery grips with my MZ-S, and the little grips with my ZX-L and ZX-5n. I recently got the "grip strap" attachment for my Z-1p, and that improves the ergonomics of that camera though it has no batteries.

The K-1 is bigger, of course, than my K-70 (which offers no grip), so perhaps the body doesn't need an extra grip? Some folks say "well I have large hands and I appreciate the larger hand-hold with the grip" but that is not particularly the case for me, I'm more average sized (5 ft 9"). However, with the MZ-S I find that camera is much easier to hold with the grip.

Also how is the Li-ion battery life on the K-1? I probably should buy a second battery, no?

Thanks - Richard.

02-26-2021, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Description:
Weather-sealed battery grip for the Pentax K-1. Includes a tray that can hold a second D-Li90 battery as well as tray that can hold 6 AA batteries.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-battery-grip-d-bg6-for-...#ixzz6ndRWAsgr

are you buying new equipment

if so, what is the return policy

make sure you read all of the " fine print "

extra batteries are always good

QuoteQuote:
Pentax D-LI90 Rechargeable Battery for K-1, K-3, K-5, K-7, K-01 and 645D
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/pentax-d-li90-rechargeable-bat...#ixzz6ndRKcRcQ
02-26-2021, 08:05 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would suggest just get the camera first and see how it feels and works for you. If you feel the battery grip would improve the handling you can always get it later. The exception would be if there is a good price advantage in buying the camera and grip together. Extra batteries are always a must. I like to have at least 3 batteries for each camera.
02-26-2021, 09:03 PM - 2 Likes   #4

Location: Rainforest of Canada Vancouver Island and the sagebrush of southern Okanagan, BC
Battery Grip

I have the battery grips on my K3 and K1 and I would go for one, the bodies 'feel' better, you have twice the battery power and a place to store a spare SD card.

02-26-2021, 10:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Similar path, acquired the battery grip for the MZ-S to improve the feel, one for the *ist D to offset its penchant for consuming batteries (at least there were AA;s) and have had grips on every camera since. With the K-1 it does make the camera bigger and heavier but there's still something about it that finishes the camera feel. With the grip installed (with the two batteries charged and in place),have never run out of power on a full day shoot. Also, there is the security in the second "AA" battery tray also shipped with the K-1 battery grip. Have never needed it but it's a peace of mind thing. Bought the grip with the the K-1 and was able to get an overall discount on the :"package purchase"..
02-26-2021, 10:13 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Read more at: Pentax Battery Grip D-BG6 for Pentax K-1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

are you buying new equipment

if so, what is the return policy

make sure you read all of the " fine print "

extra batteries are always good

Read more at: Pentax D-LI90 Rechargeable Battery for K-1, K-3, K-5, K-7, K-01 and 645D reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Thanks. I did read the product description and the reviews here before I made the post - there weren't many reviews, though they were positive. I am buying new equipment, yes, probably from B&H, Adorama, or Amazon, all have excellent return policies. I do read the fine print - I've been buying camera equipment now for 50 years, though of course anyone can make a mistake and that is good advice. I'll probably buy an aftermarket "two batteries and charger" along with the camera just to have a couple spares at a lower price point than the Pentax batteries, that has worked out well for me with my K-50 and K-70 and my Sony NEX-5n and A6000. However, what I really wanted to know is do YOU have experience with the D-BG6 grip, and based on that what do YOU recommend?

---------- Post added 02-26-21 at 11:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I would suggest just get the camera first and see how it feels and works for you. If you feel the battery grip would improve the handling you can always get it later. The exception would be if there is a good price advantage in buying the camera and grip together. Extra batteries are always a must. I like to have at least 3 batteries for each camera.
Thanks for your comment. I'm not sure there is much of a discount for a package including the grip. For example, right now on B&H the camera and 28-90 lens (with accessory kit) is $2197 ($200 instant savings off list), the camera, lens and grip are $2344 ($300 instant savings off list), so the incremental cost of getting the grip as part of the package is $147. The grip alone is $147 ($100 instant savings off list). Does the grip alone often sell near the list price of $247? Or is it usually around $147, so I can just get it later at that price?

---------- Post added 02-26-21 at 11:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi67 Quote
I have the battery grips on my K3 and K1 and I would go for one, the bodies 'feel' better, you have twice the battery power and a place to store a spare SD card.
Yes, thanks for the comment. How is the grip on the K1 body alone? How do you feel about the extra weight of the grip? I probably won't be using a lot of really long and heavy telephoto lenses, but will use the 28-105, and some film era 70-200 or 70-300 zooms.

---------- Post added 02-26-21 at 11:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by AlwaysAl Quote
Similar path, acquired the battery grip for the MZ-S to improve the feel, one for the *ist D to offset its penchant for consuming batteries (at least there were AA;s) and have had grips on every camera since. With the K-1 it does make the camera bigger and heavier but there's still something about it that finishes the camera feel. With the grip installed (with the two batteries charged and in place),have never run out of power on a full day shoot. Also, there is the security in the second "AA" battery tray also shipped with the K-1 battery grip. Have never needed it but it's a peace of mind thing. Bought the grip with the the K-1 and was able to get an overall discount on the :"package purchase"..
Thanks for your comment. I have the grip for my MZ-S, and really like it as well. In fact, that is the major reason I'm considering the grip here, I never used to think I'd want a battery grip before that experience with the MZ-S. What kind of a discount did you get with your K1 for the grip? Was it similar to what I posted above?
02-26-2021, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Generally.... I only use the battery grip with the K1 when using the DFA 150-450..... or ... with other lenses if doing a multi hour shoot (ie friends wedding or the like). Otherwise... don't use it.

The KP is a different matter though.

02-27-2021, 01:50 AM - 2 Likes   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
Thanks. I did read the product description and the reviews here before I made the post . . .
one never knows what information a questioner has reviewed before posting a reply.

QuoteQuote:
However, what I really wanted to know is do YOU have experience with the D-BG6 grip, and based on that what do YOU recommend?. . .

I have the battery grip for the K P, K 3, K 3 II and K 1 II

only YOU can decide what is best for you, not me

which is why I recommended trying it out and then returning if you don't like

Remember you don't have to use the grip at all times if you don't want to

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-27-2021 at 08:14 AM.
02-27-2021, 02:19 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet: the grip is recommended when you often shoot handheld in portrait orientation.
02-27-2021, 03:06 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The limited edition silver K1ii came with a grip and was nicely priced. The overall package was similar to the price of the black camera alone. Have a look round before you commit. Happy hunting
02-27-2021, 03:08 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the grip on the K20, K3. K5 and K1Mii and to me it makes a world of difference.

That said it really comes down to personal preference and the way in which you feel most comfortable when shooting.
02-27-2021, 07:08 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
Thanks. I did read the product description and the reviews here before I made the post - there weren't many reviews, though they were positive. I am buying new equipment, yes, probably from B&H, Adorama, or Amazon, all have excellent return policies. I do read the fine print - I've been buying camera equipment now for 50 years, though of course anyone can make a mistake and that is good advice. I'll probably buy an aftermarket "two batteries and charger" along with the camera just to have a couple spares at a lower price point than the Pentax batteries, that has worked out well for me with my K-50 and K-70 and my Sony NEX-5n and A6000. However, what I really wanted to know is do YOU have experience with the D-BG6 grip, and based on that what do YOU recommend?

---------- Post added 02-26-21 at 11:21 PM ----------

Thanks for your comment. I'm not sure there is much of a discount for a package including the grip. For example, right now on B&H the camera and 28-90 lens (with accessory kit) is $2197 ($200 instant savings off list), the camera, lens and grip are $2344 ($300 instant savings off list), so the incremental cost of getting the grip as part of the package is $147. The grip alone is $147 ($100 instant savings off list). Does the grip alone often sell near the list price of $247? Or is it usually around $147, so I can just get it later at that price?

---------- Post added 02-26-21 at 11:24 PM ----------

Yes, thanks for the comment. How is the grip on the K1 body alone? How do you feel about the extra weight of the grip? I probably won't be using a lot of really long and heavy telephoto lenses, but will use the 28-105, and some film era 70-200 or 70-300 zooms.

---------- Post added 02-26-21 at 11:26 PM ----------

Thanks for your comment. I have the grip for my MZ-S, and really like it as well. In fact, that is the major reason I'm considering the grip here, I never used to think I'd want a battery grip before that experience with the MZ-S. What kind of a discount did you get with your K1 for the grip? Was it similar to what I posted above?
Can't specifically recall the amount of discount but remember it was roughly a couple of hundred dollars.
02-27-2021, 07:24 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

My hands are not small but I can still comfortably fit all my fingers on the K-1 grip, i.e., unlike the K-5 II, the K-1 (II) does not need a battery grip to accommodate less than small hands.

In terms of battery life, a K-1 II without grip should be fine for almost all applications.

Having said all of the above, I would not want to be without my D-BG6 for shooting in portrait orientation. Holding the camera with the battery grip is so much more relaxed compared to the usual way of shooting in portrait orientation. Note that the K-1 II is not a particularly light camera, so if you are shooting in portrait orientation quite a bit, I'd recommend getting the battery grip.
02-27-2021, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'm not a gift to photography. Photography is a gift to me.
One of the best things I've read in this thread - thanks!
02-27-2021, 05:20 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
The limited edition silver K1ii came with a grip and was nicely priced. The overall package was similar to the price of the black camera alone. Have a look round before you commit. Happy hunting
Thanks for your comment. On the B&H site, the silver limited edition body with the grip included is right now $2099 (with no sales or discounted noted), whereas I could get the black body for $1797 (there is a note that this is after instant savings of $200) and the grip for $147 (noted as instant savings of $100), for a total of $1944. So silver limited edition would cost $155 more, grip included, than if I got the black body and grip separately. I believe this is because of those special discounts on the black body and grip.

Richard.

---------- Post added 02-27-21 at 06:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
one never knows what information a questioner has reviewed before posting a reply.

I have the battery grip for the K P, K 3, K 3 II and K 1 II

only YOU can decide what is best for you, not me

which is why I recommended trying it out and then returning if you don't like

Remember you don't have to use the grip at all times if you don't want to
Thanks for your comments. Yes, of course only I can decide, but I'm just looking to learn of the experience of others who actually have and use the camera and grip. You are right, I should just get it and then I can always return it (or sell it if return is not possible) if I don't like it.