Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2021, 12:15 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Small flash unit to use with a Pentax K-1 Mk II?

I do often use the pop-up flash on my K-70 and my several Pentax film bodies that have pop flashes, often for fill in flash in bright sunlight, and also for family snapshots around the house (when I can't do available light). I'd like to carry a small flash in the camera bag/backpack along with the K-1 so I can pull it out when I need to for similar use. What do you folks use for this kind of application? I'd like it to be small, light, and P-TTL for quick and easy use. If I want to do any serious flash, I'll use my AF360FGZ or the several old flashes and slave triggers. Is the AF201FG the one to get? I'd rather keep the cost below $200.

Another idea I had is to get the Godox TT350P which is small, light, and P-TTL. I already have two TT350S units and a trigger that I use for both on camera and off camera TTL on my Sony A6000. I was wondering if I used the TT350P on the K-1 in master mode it could do TTL control of the two TT350S units as slaves (using the built in 2.4 GHz common to the units). I've read in posts elsewhere that this works if you upgrade the flash firmware. The TT350P is only about $80.

Besides the AF360FGZ (which is a great flash, works in M, Auto, TTL, P-TTL, optical slave), I also have the AF280T, AF200T, AF160SA, so some of those can work in auto mode or TTL mode, but only the AF360FGZ will do P-TTL. I believe the K-1 only does P-TTL.

Thanks - Richard.

03-02-2021, 12:37 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think the AF200FG is a great "little" flash, and should be less than $50 !

I've used mine on my K1 II and it works fine, and is P-TTL.
03-02-2021, 12:38 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The AF201FG is a capable little flash - I use one with my K-3II on the very rare occasion that I feel the need - and it could be more versatile than the pop-ups as it has a tilt head and a built-in diffuser, but YMMV. It's also really light and compact to slip in your pocket.
03-02-2021, 12:53 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Auto mode is flash only and independent of the cameras so that will work with limitations. The p-TTL with throws off my typical recommendation.

If manual or auto is sufficient that opens more options.

03-02-2021, 01:35 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
Another idea I had is to get the Godox TT350P
Yep...given the form factor and the capabilities, it is an obvious option.

I was wondering if I used the TT350P on the K-1 in master mode it could do TTL control of the two TT350S units as slaves
That is something you might want to confirm with one of the Godox mavens on this site or customer service at Adorama. The manual is explicit that a TT350P as TTL slave will work, but my understanding is that TTL master/slave compatibility on other TTL-capable models is patchy.

Steve
03-02-2021, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the AF200FG with an accompanying short flash cable for off-camera use. Outdoors, it is used for fill flash and macro which is where the cable comes in handy. It also can serve as a bounce flash using the cable. I think the AF201FG is also very nice but unfortunately neither will serve as a master for wireless flash :-(
03-02-2021, 01:58 PM - 3 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

That is something you might want to confirm with one of the Godox mavens on this site or customer service at Adorama. The manual is explicit that a TT350P as TTL slave will work, but my understanding is that TTL master/slave compatibility on other TTL-capable models is patchy.

Steve
I've used the TT350 (Pentax) as master on a K-70 with an AD200 and v860II (Fuji version) as slaves without issue.

IMO the TT350 is a great little flash which takes up very little space in my sling.

03-02-2021, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I believe the K-1 only does P-TTL.
Your K-1 should do auto and "program" auto mode quite nicely with Pentax flash having those features. Amazingly, current cameras support the pre-digital dedicated flash protocols. I regularly use my AF280T with my K-3 and behavior is quite transparent with behavior similar to my Super Program in X, P, and Tv modes (with fixed ISO), and to a lesser extent in M mode (green button should be set to program line or Av shift for dedication to work).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-02-2021 at 02:22 PM.
03-02-2021, 06:41 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
The AF201FG is a capable little flash - I use one with my K-3II on the very rare occasion that I feel the need - and it could be more versatile than the pop-ups as it has a tilt head and a built-in diffuser, but YMMV. It's also really light and compact to slip in your pocket.
Thanks. Do you find it has enough power, given that it uses AAA instead of AA batteries? Sometimes those little flashes with bounce capability actually don't have enough power to do much of a bounce.

---------- Post added 03-02-21 at 07:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Auto mode is flash only and independent of the cameras so that will work with limitations. The p-TTL with throws off my typical recommendation.

If manual or auto is sufficient that opens more options.
Yes, some of the flashes I have now can do auto mode, so that is a possibility. For the type of use I want the flash for (just quick "throw the flash on for a few quick pictures" or "I need to lighten up those shadows in bright sun") I don't want to be messing around with manual. Actually I'd really rather prefer PTTL operation, I just spend a lot of money on a K1 and I would like to use its capabilities.

---------- Post added 03-02-21 at 07:49 PM ----------

Steve
Thanks. Yes, maybe I should check with Adorama or B&H on that point. I read some photo discussion site comments where folks said they got "cross brand" TTL after updating the firmware on their TT350s. One example was using a TT350P on the K-1 and then having it control two TT350Fs remotely in TTL mode. Another person said they used the TT350P as master and controlled a TT350S remotely in TTL. However, other people said that the TT350P was not supposed to have that capability. Even if it doesn't, it is still a good option. Most of the other options (AF200, AF201, some of the Metz units) likewise can't serve as a wireless master flash.

---------- Post added 03-02-21 at 07:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I've used the TT350 (Pentax) as master on a K-70 with an AD200 and v860II (Fuji version) as slaves without issue.

IMO the TT350 is a great little flash which takes up very little space in my sling.
Thanks, that is good news. When you say your TT350P controlled the other two slave flashes, do you mean in full TTL mode, or do you mean in manual mode?

---------- Post added 03-02-21 at 07:59 PM ----------

Your K-1 should do auto and "program" auto mode quite nicely with Pentax flash having those features. Amazingly, current cameras support the pre-digital dedicated flash protocols. I regularly use my AF280T with my K-3 and behavior is quite transparent with behavior similar to my Super Program in X, P, and Tv modes (with fixed ISO), and to a lesser extent in M mode (green button should be set to program line or Av shift for dedication to work).

Steve
Thanks. When you say "auto and program auto" you mean automatic mode where the sensor in the flash is doing the auto-exposure adjustment, correct? You don't mean TTL or PTTL where the camera sensors are doing the adjusting. Some of my "auto" capable older Pentax flashes (like the AF280T) also do TTL, but not PTTL. They do work in TTL mode on bodies like my MZ-S and ZX-L, since those bodies can do both TTL and P-TTL.

My AF280T is a bit bulky, what I'm looking for here is something small and light I can keep in the K-1 bag all the time. Also I'm always worried my AF280T battery door will someday pop open and not reseat. Too bad my AF160SA won't work, it is small but a capable pop-up flash replacement, though it can't do bounce. I often use my AF200T with my TTL bodies, it is about 2X as big as the AF160SA but offers TTL, auto, and manual. That is about as big a flash physically as I'd want to use, though it too doesn't do bounce. The TT350 is about as bulky as the AF200T, though of course with a lot more capability.
03-02-2021, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

@OldChE, In full TTL
03-02-2021, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The AF200fg that has been mentioned is actually discontinued but some are still available and of course used copies are out there. It is very small and does not tilt of swivel. I have one but have not used it much, i just rarely use a flash. it takes up about as much space as a limited prime.
03-02-2021, 08:11 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Af201fg

$149 at b&h
03-02-2021, 08:22 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The 200 FG is listed as a buy it now on ebay for $22 !

If you just want a small flash for occasional use I don't think you can "beat" it.

I have one, but at that price I may just buy a "spare" !
03-02-2021, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hey, thanks for all the suggestions. I don't have the K-1 yet, so I'll play around with it when it comes with some of my existing flashes, and that may give me a better idea of what I want to buy. Also,
Your K-1 should do auto and "program" auto mode quite nicely with Pentax flash having those features.
made me go back and look at my 1985 AF160SA flash. That flash is "program auto" but no TTL or PTTL. Up till now I only used in on older manual film bodies like the Spotmatic or K1000, and even there I often used my Vivitar Auto 252 and Vivitar Auto 225 flashes instead. From my Super Program and later I used one of my TTL flashes. However, I just tested the little AF160SA on my K-70, and it works fine in auto exposure ("program" mode on the flash). I set the K-70 to Tv at 1/50 sec, dial in what ISO I want, and shoot away. The camera automatically senses the flash power, sets the aperture automatically which is appropriate for the ISO level I set, and then the flash automatically adjusts its output (using the sensor on the flash) for proper exposure by measuring the light reflected from the scene during the flash. If I don't like the f-stop I see before the exposure, I can change the ISO until I get the DOF and coverage I want. It even seemed to cover most of the 18mm setting on my 18-135 WR lens. It doesn't have much power with a GN of 16, but since the K-1 should do great at higher ISOs I can compensate a bit for that, and anyway 16 is more power than a typical popup. The flash uses two AA cells, is only 3.6" long, and weighs only 151 g with the batteries. Of course it doesn't do bounce, PTTL, HSS, and I'm not sure how it would work as a fill in flash in sunlight. But, I can take some snapshots around the house, and can use my AF360FGZ if I need more capability, until I decide what I want to buy. Just another reason I love Pentax - a 36 year old flash works as designed on one of the latest DSLRs.
03-02-2021, 11:50 PM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks. When you say "auto and program auto" you mean automatic mode where the sensor in the flash is doing the auto-exposure adjustment, correct? You don't mean TTL or PTTL where the camera sensors are doing the adjusting.
No, I don't mean TTL or P-TTL. Some Pentax flashes have a setting called auto and some have a setting called "program". Program means auto flash with the flash supporting dedication to the body to assist in working with Program exposure modes. That said, some models have a setting called "auto" which may or may not feature similar dedication as those with "program" mode. See the link below for summary information:

Flash Systems Evolution, Features and Operation | The K-Mount Page

Put your AF160SA in Program mode on your K-70 in P mode (fixed ISO) and see what happens.
Edit: I see you tried it. Cool!

Steve