Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2021, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The power output is the same from AAAs as from AAs, just a smaller capacity for fewer shots, I guess. The 201 had enough bounce power for the few shots where I’ve actually used it... 😉 But it obviously hasn’t got the range of the bigger units.

03-03-2021, 08:14 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the info stevebrot. This quote is from the "Flash Systems Evolution..." link above:
"[B]Only the AF bodies achieve dedication with the F-flashes. However, all Pentax bodies, AF or not, are capable of controlling all non-F flashes[/B]."

I don't know and do not see any definition of "controlling" - what does this mean?
Of course any body will "control" enough to fire the flash, but does this mean any additional "control" of exposure, or cameral settings?

I ask because after some testing with various Pentax bodies, I find my AF 400 FTZ will fire-sure for sure; but there is no exposure control with P-TTL bodies.
Needless to say I'm a bit confused and perhaps this should be a new thread and not clutter up the OP's question.
03-03-2021, 12:09 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DonV Quote
I don't know and do not see any definition of "controlling" - what does this mean?
For "F" flashes it means both the flash and the camera have the "digital" contact that allows a "conversation" and exchange of complex information for digital protocol TTL and/or P-TTL and associated features. For non-F flashes the choice of wording used by the page authors is poor. For analog TTL, the body is able to "quench" the flash when sufficient light has reached the film. That is the full extent of control and only applies to those bodies that use the analog TTL protocol exclusively (Super Program/Super A, LX, and 645...IIRC) support the analog TTL protocol when paired with those flash.* For analog dedication using the "center", "mode", and "ready" contacts, the flash provides information to the camera, but not the other way around.

As for your AF400 FTZ, it supports TTL and manual modes only using the digital protocols and is of limited usefulness on a Pentax dSLR. You can download the manual for free from:

Pentax Manuals | Accessories (PDF password = Pentax)

Steve

* Those flash and bodies that provide broad support usually have a compatibility matrix in the user manual.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-03-2021 at 07:18 PM.
03-03-2021, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote

Another idea I had is to get the Godox TT350P which is small, light, and P-TTL. I already have two TT350S units and a trigger that I use for both on camera and off camera TTL on my Sony A6000. I was wondering if I used the TT350P on the K-1 in master mode it could do TTL control of the two TT350S units as slaves (using the built in 2.4 GHz common to the units). I've read in posts elsewhere that this works if you upgrade the flash firmware. The TT350P is only about $80.

Thanks - Richard.
I use my 350P with Godox flashes for micro 4/3 for TTL and they work fine. You just need to make sure all of the firm ware is up to date.

03-03-2021, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
For "F" flashes it means both the flash and the camera have the "digital" contact that allows a "conversation" and exchange of complex information for digital protocol TTL and/or P-TTL and associated features. For non-F flashes the choice of wording used by the page authors is poor. For analog TTL, the body is able to "quench" the flash when sufficient light has reached the film. That is the full extent of control and only applies to those bodies that use the analog TTL protocol (Super Program/Super A and LX...IIRC). For analog dedication using the "center", "mode", and "ready" contacts, the flash provides information to the camera, but not the other way around.

As for your AF400 FTZ, it supports TTL and manual modes only using the digital protocols and is of limited usefulness on a Pentax dSLR. You can download the manual for free from:

Pentax Manuals | Accessories (PDF password = Pentax)

Steve
Thanks Steve
I thought I was missing something, but what you have written is what I understand/understood to be correct.

The AF400 FTZ does work correctly with the *istD and *istDS digital slr cameras, they are the only two with both TTL and p-TTL ability.; the handle AF 400 T is also supported by these two cameras.
03-04-2021, 07:56 AM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have found a like new Metz M400 for 136 Euro.
It's complete, small and very handy. You can put it in your pocket when not needed.
And it can be used for videos.
03-05-2021, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #22

If you are looking for a small flash just for a fill flash, I have the Pentax version of the Metz 26AF-2 for my K-1. It has a full set of flash contacts, so it operates in intelligent TTL mode so the flash output is automatically adjusted for ISO, f-stop and flash exposure adjustment. (It also has an LED continuous light for movies.)

It is about the size of a deck of playing cards, so it is easy to stick in a pocket or camera bag. It won’t light up anything more than about 20 feet away, but as good as a pop-up flash. Not something to shoot a wedding with, but convenient when you need it. (One hint... do not turn the flash on until it is mounted on the camera, otherwise it won’t fire.)

For a big family portrait, I pull out my old Sunpak Auto 383 Super. That thing will light up a warehouse!

03-05-2021, 10:02 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MaineNative Quote
If you are looking for a small flash just for a fill flash, I have the Pentax version of the Metz 26AF-2 for my K-1. It has a full set of flash contacts, so it operates in intelligent TTL mode so the flash output is automatically adjusted for ISO, f-stop and flash exposure adjustment. (It also has an LED continuous light for movies.)

It is about the size of a deck of playing cards, so it is easy to stick in a pocket or camera bag. It won’t light up anything more than about 20 feet away, but as good as a pop-up flash. Not something to shoot a wedding with, but convenient when you need it. (One hint... do not turn the flash on until it is mounted on the camera, otherwise it won’t fire.)

For a big family portrait, I pull out my old Sunpak Auto 383 Super. That thing will light up a warehouse!
Thanks! A few folks have recommended the Metz 26AF-2 as well. Do you every use it as a bounce flash, say in a typical residential room, and if so how well does it work for that? I can get one used for about half the list price of a new one, which is much less that the Pentax AF201FG, and even less than a new Godox TT350P. The Godox unit does have a lot more capability (autozoom, manual settings, HSS, can act as a PTTL master or slave, etc.) and I think it will work in concert with my Sony TT350s for multi-flash TTL. However, the TT350 is a bit bulkier, can't say it would fit in my shirt pocket. Eventually I'd probably get the TT350P anyway, but it would be nice to have something as small as the Metz just to use for fill-in flash outdoors, and indoors for family snapshots. I do have my AF360FGZ for more power if I need it.
03-06-2021, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

Yup, the Metz is quite a bit smaller. The size comes at a cost of power tho, so keep that in mind. You already know the Godox is more fully-featured.

The Metz would also make a poor bounce flash IMHO since it only adjusts up and down from what I see (I've not ever handled one), not left to right, so light control is limited. The Godox swivels a full 270 left to right (ie bouncing off walls) and rotates down further allowing a bit more light feathering if ever needed.

For some unclear reason the Pentax version of the Godox is $15 more than for any other camera, but still quite a lot less than a NEW Metz. Used prices are what they are. Sometimes you come across a bargain.

Metz 26 AF-2:
Dimensions (W x H x D) 2.5 x 3.3 x 3.3" / 63 x 85 x 85 mm
Weight 4.06 oz / 115 g (without Batteries)
Guide Number: 85' at ISO 100 and 85mm

Godox TT350 Specs
Dimensions (W x H x D) 5.5 x 2.4 x 1.5" / 140 x 62 x 38 mm
Weight 7.05 oz / 200 g (without Batteries)
118' at ISO 100 and 105mm

Last edited by gatorguy; 03-06-2021 at 06:40 PM.
03-06-2021, 06:17 PM   #25

I haven’t used the Metz much as a bounce flash. However, I just tried some bounce shots at 35 mm on my K-1 and the exposure was decent. It does have a slave mode, but I’ve never tried it. It doesn’t have a manual mode, but you can adjust flash exposure/f-stop in the camera and the flash automatically adjusts. It definitely is not a full-feature flash. If I am taking portrait shots, I do switch to my big flash so I have greater control. It does have a snap-on cover for telephoto shots but no power zoom. It also works with the red-eye setting on the K-1.
03-06-2021, 10:06 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MaineNative Quote
I haven’t used the Metz much as a bounce flash. However, I just tried some bounce shots at 35 mm on my K-1 and the exposure was decent. It does have a slave mode, but I’ve never tried it. It doesn’t have a manual mode, but you can adjust flash exposure/f-stop in the camera and the flash automatically adjusts. It definitely is not a full-feature flash. If I am taking portrait shots, I do switch to my big flash so I have greater control. It does have a snap-on cover for telephoto shots but no power zoom. It also works with the red-eye setting on the K-1.
Thanks for testing it and letting me know, and for the other comments as well. I understand the limitations, and for this purpose I don't need a full-feature flash (I do have the AF360FGZ which has all the features). Actually what would make the Metz 26 or the AF201FG worth it for me is the small size (I could put it in my pocket), being able to bounce, and being able to do a PTTL fill-in flash in daylight. My little AF160SA is equally small, and actually with its auto mode and built-in sensor does a decent job for snapshots indoors on the K-1, but it is only direct flash (no bounce) and gives too much light for fill-in flash. I could get an AF200FG inexpensively, which would do a good job on fill-in, but again no bounce, and it is a bit heavier as well.
03-06-2021, 10:36 PM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If manual can be an answer...

? LightPix Labs
03-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If manual can be an answer...

? LightPix Labs
Thanks. No, manual wouldn't do. The whole idea is ease of use and convenience, plus small size so I always have it with me when using the camera. I can't exactly take snapshots around the house where I ask people to "hold it" while I take two shots, adjusting the manual flash in between, especially for a bounce. And I certainly don't want to use guide numbers, I had plenty of experience with those back in the '60s and '70s and don't want to go back to that. It was a great day when I finally got an "automatic electronic flash".
03-20-2021, 01:54 AM   #29
Pentaxian

The Metz 26 is excellent if the point is to replace the absent embedded flash and provide very discreet light on top of ambient.

It still allows for bounce (bit only vertical) including down for close ups.

It won't provide 2nd curtain, HSS etc. So very basic. But very small. Also very affordable, got mine new for 30€.
03-21-2021, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
The Metz 26 is excellent if the point is to replace the absent embedded flash and provide very discreet light on top of ambient.

It still allows for bounce (bit only vertical) including down for close ups.

It won't provide 2nd curtain, HSS etc. So very basic. But very small. Also very affordable, got mine new for 30€.
Thanks. They are quite a bit more new here (US$140). However, a fellow Pentax Forum member offered me his Metz 26 AF-2 for a good price, so that is what I bought. It seems to work well for what I wanted - as you stated it, "the point is to replace the absent embedded flash and provide a very discreet light on top of ambient" - exactly right. I do have my AF360FGZ flash if I want more capability - the AF360FGZ is an amazing flash, it works with any one of the 12 or so Pentax cameras that I have, from the K1000 up to the K-1M2, and it can do whatever level of automation that body can do - manual, automatic with built-in sensor, TTL, or P-TTL. The only Pentax I have that it doesn't work with is my Spotmatic, because the flash doesn't have a PC cable and my Spotty lacks a hot shoe. But, I have several great little automatic flashes I can use with the Spotmatic, and many of those flashes I can't use on a DSLR (too high a trigger voltage).

Thanks to everyone for the advice!
Richard.