Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2021, 09:44 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Metadata is different and your version of LR lacks the mapping of the numeric lensId in the EXIF to friendly name for the D FA 28-105. That is not something that can be addressed by updating the profiles. Similarly, your version of LR will never be able to process PEF files from your K-1II.

When you were done, you should have had the following files in the two directories:

C:\Users\{your username}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Camera
Pentax K-1 Mark II Adobe Standard.dcp
Pentax K-1 Mark II Camera Bright.dcp
Pentax K-1 Mark II Camera Landscape.dcp
Pentax K-1 Mark II Camera Natural.dcp
Pentax K-1 Mark II Camera Portrait.dcp
Pentax K-1 Mark II Camera Vibrant.dcp
C:\Users\{your username}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles
RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. (HD PENTAX-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR) - RAW.lcp
After restarting Lightroom (probably would not hurt to restart computer too), you should see the following profile options for the Develop module Camera Calibration pane:
  • Embedded
  • Adobe Standard
  • Camera Bright
  • Camera Landscape
  • Camera Natural
  • Camera Portrait
  • Camera Vibrant

...and for the Lens Corrections pane (Profile corrections enabled):
  • All the Pentax profiles installed with Lightroom
  • HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR

Of course, this assumes the copied files are readable by your user account.

Steve
I do have those files in those locations, so that is not the issue I guess. Under Camera Calibration, I only see "Embedded". Under lens corrections, I have about a dozen makes, from Apple to Zeiss, but no Pentax in that list.

My main desire is for both camera and lens to be correctly shown in the metadata list. Camera (K-1 Mark II) is shown fine. When I import jpegs from my K-70, camera and lens (the 18-135WR) are both shown fine in metadata. When I import jpegs from the K-1M2, the camera is shown correctly in metadata but there is no lens entry shown at all. Aren't the metadata entries made by the camera itself in to the picture file on the SD card, and LR simply reads them out to the screen? Before I downloaded the new Camera Raw and copied and pasted the camera and lens profiles, my LR profiles were all from 2014, and they didn't include the K-70 nor the 18-135WR. Yet they both show up in metadata just fine.

Thanks for trying to help me on this. I'm reluctant to uninstall and reinstall my LR again. I just did that a few weeks ago after finishing this new PC build, and it took me some gyrations to get this old copy of LR running again with all of my catalog entries correct. I'd rather not go through that again.

03-06-2021, 10:26 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I used the exiftool program to look at the exif data that was written into the jpeg file by the camera, and the lens is correctly shown. I'm not sure why Lightroom doesn't just pull this information out and show it on my metadata screen, just as it does for the 18-135WR lens.
Attached Images

03-07-2021, 01:03 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
I do have those files in those locations, so that is not the issue I guess. Under Camera Calibration, I only see "Embedded". Under lens corrections, I have about a dozen makes, from Apple to Zeiss, but no Pentax in that list.
The reason why you only see "Embedded" is because Lightroom could not find the camera profile (.dcp) file for the K-1II.

Did I properly read that you overwrote the Lightroom installation profile directories? It is not obvious, but Lightroom maintains a database that points to those files and when they are not there or in the wrong places, things go strange. In addition, the catalog XMP for the edits you have done also point to those files.

I'm not sure why Lightroom doesn't just pull this information out and show it on my metadata screen, just as it does for the 18-135WR lens.
Fasten your seatbelt. This is going to get thick pretty quick...

First off, the ExifTool snippet is of the ExifTool composite tags, meaning that they don't actually occur in the file, but have values based on interpretation of the EXIF metadata. Pentax does not store the lens maker/model information in the standard EXIF. Instead, it is stored as a numeric character code in the makernotes section at a location ExifTool references by the tag name LensType. For your D FA 28-105, the code is '8 61'. That code is all that is stored in the EXIF.

Your version of ExifTool has access to a lookup table that maps a numeric code to proper lens names and uses that to output the value for the composite LenInfo tag in your snippet. If your copy were older, it might fail to find the name and be in the same situation as your version of of Lightroom. All your version of Lightroom has to work with is '8 61' and nothing more; a code that is not in its lookup tables. Strangely, while Lightroom is able to register the existence of a new profile (.lcp) file for your lens that includes multiple references to the '8 61' code as well as the display name, Lightroom does not automatically add that information to its lookup tables. This is despite your being able, to the define default profile for lenses identifying as '8 61' to the profile for the D FA 28-105. Go figure.

If you desire display of the lens name in the LR user interface, you will have use a utility that is able to read the '8 61' code from the makernotes, look up the name, and write that information to the standard EXIF LensModel tag where it can be read by Lightroom. I use ExifTool to do that task as do several other users on this site. Another option might be the Lens Tagger utility mentioned above.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-07-2021 at 01:15 AM.
03-07-2021, 10:01 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The reason why you only see "Embedded" is because Lightroom could not find the camera profile (.dcp) file for the K-1II.

Did I properly read that you overwrote the Lightroom installation profile directories? It is not obvious, but Lightroom maintains a database that points to those files and when they are not there or in the wrong places, things go strange. In addition, the catalog XMP for the edits you have done also point to those files.
Thanks for your comments. I took all of the camera and lens profiles from the latest version of Camera Raw and did use them to replace the similar files in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1\Resources\CarmeraProfies, for example. It seemed to me that the new files included what used to be there, plus newer models. Of course, I backed up what was originally there, I could reverse the procedure. However, even before I started all of this (and in fact before I switched to my new PC build and re-installed LR 5.7.1), I never had Pentax listed as a manufacturer under that camera profile and lens profile section of the Develop module.

If you desire display of the lens name in the LR user interface, you will have use a utility that is able to read the '8 61' code from the makernotes, look up the name, and write that information to the standard EXIF LensModel tag where it can be read by Lightroom. I use ExifTool to do that task as do several other users on this site. Another option might be the Lens Tagger utility mentioned above.
Thanks for the explanation. I was reading about Lens Tagger yesterday, I might consider that. However, if I just started subscribing now to Adobe's $20/month version and used the latest Lightroom and/or Lightroom CC versions, would they pick up the latest lenses without using 3rd party software? Or does Adobe just not fully support Pentax as a brand and some of these work-arounds are inevitable?

Thanks again - Richard.

03-07-2021, 12:48 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

However, if I just started subscribing now to Adobe's $20/month version and used the latest Lightroom and/or Lightroom CC versions, would they pick up the latest lenses without using 3rd party software? Or does Adobe just not fully support Pentax as a brand and some of these work-arounds are inevitable?
You should not have to jump through any hoops with the subscription service. FWIW, this sort of problem with unsupported versions of Lightroom is a general issue across brands and has nothing to do with Pentax. In general, Adobe has historically been very responsive to new Pentax cameras and lenses with updates for Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw coming out as cameras and lenses are launched. Unfortunately fully support for your lens requires minimum Lightroom 6.6 with your camera not being fully supported in any but subscription versions.

Adobe Camera Raw | Supported Cameras Lenses

Steve
03-08-2021, 07:24 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
You should not have to jump through any hoops with the subscription service. FWIW, this sort of problem with unsupported versions of Lightroom is a general issue across brands and has nothing to do with Pentax. In general, Adobe has historically been very responsive to new Pentax cameras and lenses with updates for Lightroom and Adobe Camera Raw coming out as cameras and lenses are launched. Unfortunately fully support for your lens requires minimum Lightroom 6.6 with your camera not being fully supported in any but subscription versions.

Adobe Camera Raw | Supported Cameras Lenses

Steve
Well, it is good to know that Adobe supports Pentax equipment well in current versions. I'll have to think about subscribing. Thanks for your help!
03-08-2021, 08:10 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think the root of your problem is that you are looking at jpeg files rather than RAW. The lens and camera profiles are only available for RAW files. Try a .DNG file and see if the profiles are available.

03-08-2021, 11:38 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
I think the root of your problem is that you are looking at jpeg files rather than RAW. The lens and camera profiles are only available for RAW files. Try a .DNG file and see if the profiles are available.
Yes, I understand that, I haven't tested yet with RAW files. However, the root of my problem has nothing to do with using camera and lens profiles. I actually just wanted the metadata to correctly show both the camera model and the lens used when I import JPEGS. Right now it correctly shows the camera model (K-1 Mark II), but it doesn't show the lens at all (the lens field doesn't even appear in the LR metadata tables) when I'm using the 28-105.
03-08-2021, 12:34 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I actually just wanted the metadata to correctly show both the camera model and the lens used when I import JPEGS. Right now it correctly shows the camera model (K-1 Mark II), but it doesn't show the lens at all (the lens field doesn't even appear in the LR metadata tables) when I'm using the 28-105.
Yep...it was all about display purpose. To be honest, I am surprised you did not run up against this problem before. LR has always limited auto display of lens name to those supported with the most recent installed update version. The only reason you are getting camera name is because it is in plain text as part of the base EXIF.

Steve
01-01-2022, 10:08 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep...it was all about display purpose. To be honest, I am surprised you did not run up against this problem before. LR has always limited auto display of lens name to those supported with the most recent installed update version. The only reason you are getting camera name is because it is in plain text as part of the base EXIF.

Steve
OK, here is an update to this old thread. I was never able to get Lightroom 5.7.1 to correctly identify the HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR (released in 2016). To refresh the discussion, I was importing jpegs usually, and just wanted the lens to be correctly identified in the metadata panel. I didn't want to do automatic lens corrections or process raw files. Most of my other Pentax lenses were correctly identified by LR 5.7.1, but not this "kit" zoom for the K-1 Mark II.

Today I finally subscribed to the Adobe "Photography" creative cloud offering, so just installed today Lightroom Classic and Photoshop. I'm now using the very latest version (11.1) of Lightroom Classic.

Unfortunately, Lightroom Classic is still not picking up the lens identity for the HD FA 28-105 lens. The lens field is just not shown in Metadata for that lens, while it is shown for others.

I checked the lens profile directories under Camera Raw, and I see a profile for the lens in question. However, the file dates on the profiles I see are old - is it possible that the new Lightroom Classic install didn't overwrite the lens profiles, and I need to do a "clean install" of Lightroom Classic?

I can't see why LR would not identify a lens that is already 6 years old.

Thanks - Richard.

---------- Post added 01-01-22 at 11:58 PM ----------

Another update: When I open one of the K-1 Mark II jpegs using the HD 28-105 lens in Adobe Lightroom (the web version of the program, used to be Lightroom CC) the program DOES correctly identify the HD l28-105 lens in the metadata panel. I notice that when I installed both Lightroom Classic and Lightroom on my PC that the web version (Lightroom) has its own camera and lens profile directories as subdirectories in the program directory. So I looked in the Lightroom Classic program file folder, and I see under a "Resources" folder that Lightroom Classic also has both camera and lens profiles there, and they include the Pentax camera and lenses properly (with file dates of today).

I think the files I checked earlier under Camera Raw, which were in the Adobe folder under appdata and roaming, must have been from my old install of Lightroom 5.7.1.

I'll try importing some new jpegs tomorrow into Lightroom Classic - maybe it will pick up the lens correctly for new imports.
01-02-2022, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I think the files I checked earlier under Camera Raw, which were in the Adobe folder under appdata and roaming, must have been from my old install of Lightroom 5.7.1.
That may well be. Things get very complicated when one considers the appdata files.

Steve
01-02-2022, 03:32 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, problem solved - sort of. I imported some new photos taken with the K-1-2 and the HD 28-105 lens, and Lightroom Classic correctly identified the lens in the metadata. It looks like that assignment of the lens name (based on the exif code) occurs during the import of the file into LR, and then that information is stored in the LR catalog entry for that image. The images using that lens that I had imported previously with LR 5.7.1 do not show the lens identity in the new Lightroom Classic metadata panel, I suppose because the catalog entry for those images was created when they were first imported, the old LR 5.7.1 wasn't picking it up at the time, and the new LR Classic program doesn't update that information since the catalog entry is already existing. Probably if I deleted those images from the catalog and re-imported them with the new LR Classic they would pick up the lens correctly. However, I'm not going to do that, as it's not worth potentially losing the edits I made for them. I might test the theory with one image, just to see.

In any event, I like the new Lightroom Classic, it has some neat new features that my old LR 5.7.1 didn't have (like customizable metadata panel), and I'm looking forward to learning Photoshop as well. I had been using Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 (from 2012) for any editing that I couldn't do in Lightroom.

Sorry to trouble you all with my issue. Perhaps someone searching the forum for answers to a similar problem will find it useful. Happy New Year!