Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2021, 08:59 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom not showing lens identify HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR

I just imported my first few pictures with my new Pentax K-1 Mark II, take with the HD Pentax-D FA 28-105 lens. I noticed after importing the photos (JPEGS) that the metadata in LR is not showing any lens identification. When I import my K-70 photos taken with the SMC PENTAX-DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-135mm lens the lens is correctly identified no problem. In fact, most of my lenses are picked up just fine by LR, except the older K and M42 lenses. Is the fact that this is a relatively new lens causing this issue?

I'm using an older version of LR "classic", Lightroom 5.7.1. I don't believe I get any updates for this any longer.

I searched the Forum here and I saw a thread where someone had a similar issue, and they were told to download and import a newer version of Camera Raw and then manually cut and paste some lens profile files into the right subdirectory on their computer, and then LR would pick up the lens ID in the proper way. Is that something I need to do?

By the way, I started a thread recently here where I asked if I should buy the D FA 28-105 along with the K-1, and nearly everyone strongly recommended the lens. Thanks for talking me into it. I was hoping it would prove to be a great all-around and not too heavy to carry around lens, like my 18-135 on the K-70, and so far it has good promise to become that kind of lens.

Thanks - Richard.

03-05-2021, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OldChE Quote
I searched the Forum here and I saw a thread where someone had a similar issue, and they were told to download and import a newer version of Camera Raw and then manually cut and paste some lens profile files into the right subdirectory on their computer, and then LR would pick up the lens ID in the proper way. Is that something I need to do?
The download you want to do is for the Adobe DNG Converter program. Installing the DNG Converter will provide updated camera and lens profiles that should be automagically discovered by Lightroom. You need not run the DNG Converter program.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

What operating system are you using?

Steve
03-05-2021, 09:42 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The download you want to do is for the Adobe DNG Converter program. Installing the DNG Converter will provide updated camera and lens profiles that should be automagically discovered by Lightroom. You need not run the DNG Converter program.

Adobe Digital Negative Converter

What operating system are you using?

Steve
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm using Windows 10 Pro. So I just download and install the DNG Converter, but don't need to manually copy the files from one place to another afterwards? Adobe Lightroom will find them?

I just built this computer a few weeks ago, with photo editing in mind, and it is working great so far. I have a new Asus ProArt 27" WQHD monitor with certified color calibration. Pictures look much nicer than on my old ViewSonic HD 24" monitor.
03-05-2021, 11:00 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Adobe Lightroom will find them?
It is supposed to, but may not do so automatically on import without a few nudges. Install the DNG Converter, reboot, and run LR. Take a few photos with your K-1 and 28-105 and import them into Lightroom. If it detected the camera correctly, it should be identified as K-1ii with Develop module camera profile options for Adobe Standard as well as several scene-specific profiles corresponding to Pentax custom image types. If the lens was detected correctly, it should identify as such. If not, try to find the lens profile using that pane in the Develop module. If found, you should have the option to set the profile as default for that lens. If you can't find the profile, you will have to do some copying.

03-06-2021, 11:39 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It is supposed to, but may not do so automatically on import without a few nudges. Install the DNG Converter, reboot, and run LR. Take a few photos with your K-1 and 28-105 and import them into Lightroom. If it detected the camera correctly, it should be identified as K-1ii with Develop module camera profile options for Adobe Standard as well as several scene-specific profiles corresponding to Pentax custom image types. If the lens was detected correctly, it should identify as such. If not, try to find the lens profile using that pane in the Develop module. If found, you should have the option to set the profile as default for that lens. If you can't find the profile, you will have to do some copying.
Unfortunately that didn't work. The camera is identified correctly, but it was doing that before as well. When I open one of the newly imported photos in Lightroom in the Develop module I don't see the "scene-specific profiles corresponding to Pentax custom image types" that you mentioned. No lens is identified at all in the metadata. I went to the lens profile area in Develop, but Pentax is not listed at all under Lens Corrections - Profile - Make. Only Canon, Nikon, Sony, Sigma, etc. are listed there.

I'll have to investigate this further.

Thanks - Richard.
03-06-2021, 01:16 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Adobe won't provide support any longer for that version of lightroom. However they do have a program called Adobe Lens Profile Creator to use for that purpose.
03-06-2021, 01:46 PM   #7
Closed Account

I use a third party add on called Lens Tagger

03-06-2021, 02:12 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I went to the lens profile area in Develop, but Pentax is not listed at all under Lens Corrections - Profile - Make. Only Canon, Nikon, Sony, Sigma, etc. are listed there.
Well, that is strange.

So...on to the next step.

Profile file locations
The DNG Converter's profile files should be at the following location (or similar) on your computer...
C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw
Adobe Standard for your K-1II is located at...
C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Adobe Standard
Camera-specific profiles K-1II are located at...
C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Camera\Pentax K-1 Mark II
Pentax lens profiles are located at...
C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Pentax
What to copy and where to copy to:

Find or create the following directories in your user profile...
C:\Users\{your username}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Camera
C:\Users\{your username}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles
Copy C\ProgramData\...\Adobe Standard\Pentax K-1 Mark II Adobe Standard.dcp and the file contents from the C\ProgramData\...\Camera\Pentax K-1 Mark II\ folder to the \Camera folder in your user tree above.

Copy C:\ProgramData\...\LensProfiles\1.0\Pentax\RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. (HD PENTAX-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR) - RAW.lcp to the \LensProfiles folder in your user tree above. If there are any other lens profiles you want to add, copy them too.

I hope this helps.

Steve
03-06-2021, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 3by2 Quote
I use a third party add on called Lens Tagger
This updates the metadata only and does not provide lens correction profiles.

Steve
03-06-2021, 02:31 PM   #10
Closed Account

This updates the metadata only and does not provide lens correction profiles.

Steve
Apologies, yes it does only update the metadata.
03-06-2021, 03:41 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, that is strange.

So...on to the next step.

Profile file locations
The DNG Converter's profile files should be at the following location (or similar) on your computer...
C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw
Adobe Standard for your K-1II is located at...
C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Adobe Standard
Camera-specific profiles K-1II are located at...
C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Camera\Pentax K-1 Mark II
Pentax lens profiles are located at...
C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\LensProfiles\1.0\Pentax
What to copy and where to copy to:

Find or create the following directories in your user profile...
Copy C\ProgramData\...\Adobe Standard\Pentax K-1 Mark II Adobe Standard.dcp and the file contents from the C\ProgramData\...\Camera\Pentax K-1 Mark II\ folder to the \Camera folder in your user tree above.

Copy C:\ProgramData\...\LensProfiles\1.0\Pentax\RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. (HD PENTAX-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR) - RAW.lcp to the \LensProfiles folder in your user tree above. If there are any other lens profiles you want to add, copy them too.

I hope this helps.

Steve
I'm going to try it, wish me luck. I'll let you know how it works out.

I figure someday I'll have to break down and start subscribing to Adobe monthly for Lightroom. I've avoided that for a few years, but perhaps eventually these workarounds will no longer work. Of course, I used Eudora for email for over 20 years before I broke down and switched to Outlook. Not because I couldn't get Eudora to work any longer on a modern computer running Windows 10, surprisingly I was able to do so just fine. But my kids kept telling me that Eudora was not as secure (wasn't encrypting email), so I finally conceded.
03-06-2021, 04:25 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

But my kids kept telling me that Eudora was not as secure (wasn't encrypting email), so I finally conceded.
Firebird E-mail?

Eudora was an excellent e-mail client. FWIW, I still use Quicken for DOS...

Steve
03-06-2021, 05:11 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Firebird E-mail?

Eudora was an excellent e-mail client. FWIW, I still use Quicken for DOS...

Steve
Quicken for DOS - Ha! That's something. Quicken is subscription based too, as is my MS Office 365.

Well, I copied the files as you indicated. First I just copied the entire CameraProfiles/Camera directory and the LenProfiles directories from Camera Raw to both the AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw locations. For good measure I copied them as well to my Lightroom 5.7.1 locations, overwriting the old profiles (I backed those up first). Lens still doesn't show up when importing new files from the SD card (camera still shows up OK). Then I noticed that you said to copy the Pentax specific dcp and lcp files to CameraProfiles\Camera and LensProfiles directories (i.e., not nested below as they are in the original Camera Raw source). So I copied them up a level to that spot. Still not showing the lens tag in the metadata. Maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall LR 5.7.1 and start all over again?

---------- Post added 03-06-21 at 06:18 PM ----------

Also it seems odd to me that when I go into Develop and enable lens profiles, I have a dozen different lens manufacturers listed, but no Pentax. Yet when I look at the directory of lens profiles in Camera Raw's directory, there is clearly a Pentax subdirectory.
03-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Also it seems odd to me that when I go into Develop and enable lens profiles, I have a dozen different lens manufacturers listed, but no Pentax. Yet when I look at the directory of lens profiles in Camera Raw's directory, there is clearly a Pentax subdirectory.
I suspect the various changes you made to the LR installation directory may be at fault. I would not have touched those.

Steve
03-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Still not showing the lens tag in the metadata. Maybe I need to uninstall and reinstall LR 5.7.1 and start all over again?
Metadata is different and your version of LR lacks the mapping of the numeric lensId in the EXIF to friendly name for the D FA 28-105. That is not something that can be addressed by updating the profiles. Similarly, your version of LR will never be able to process PEF files from your K-1II.

When you were done, you should have had the following files in the two directories:

Pentax K-1 Mark II Adobe Standard.dcp
Pentax K-1 Mark II Camera Bright.dcp
Pentax K-1 Mark II Camera Landscape.dcp
Pentax K-1 Mark II Camera Natural.dcp
Pentax K-1 Mark II Camera Portrait.dcp
Pentax K-1 Mark II Camera Vibrant.dcp
RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. (HD PENTAX-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6ED DC WR) - RAW.lcp
After restarting Lightroom (probably would not hurt to restart computer too), you should see the following profile options for the Develop module Camera Calibration pane:
  • Embedded
  • Adobe Standard
  • Camera Bright
  • Camera Landscape
  • Camera Natural
  • Camera Portrait
  • Camera Vibrant

...and for the Lens Corrections pane (Profile corrections enabled):
  • All the Pentax profiles installed with Lightroom
  • HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR

Of course, this assumes the copied files are readable by your user account.

Steve