Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2016, 12:21 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Touchscreen is a practical addition to live view (mirrorless mode) and video, now that video can have AF.

As long as the camera still provides the traditional button abilities then traditionalists can simply turn off the touch features.

Traditionalists won't ever use the screen anyway, waiting instead to see what it looks like once the shoot is over, and they're back in front of the computer.

Or they'll take their memory card directly to a photo printing lab and only see the pictures for the first time when they've paid to print them...

I don't like the idea of a separate K-S series of cameras as I see it as unnecessary for a small company trying to pump out models in APS-C, FF and MF, but... Given the k-70 may be here for 2 years before it gets replaced I'm forced into hoping a K-S3 comes out really soon AND includes mechanical SR in video again. Seriously Pentax, a video capable model will open door to another customer base, or at least retain some more.

06-12-2016, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
I don't like the idea of a separate K-S series of cameras as I see it as unnecessary for a small company trying to pump out models in APS-C, FF and MF,
Richard, this is no different from the three APC-S lines Pentax have offered for a long time.
I think of the K-S* line as being positioned as the now defunct K-*00 line. Those were the low end-entry level without WR while the K-*0 line were the enthusiast line which had WR and some of the trickle-down bells'n'whistles from the previous K-* Pro line model.

They are hardly pumping out MF bodies now are they

PS: You don't have to wait another two or more years just to see if IBIS makes a come-back, there are other options. In any case, even if in two years the K-80 does see IBIS back, imagine how much further the competition has advanced in that time.
As you know, I came to that conclusion last year - there was no point in waiting. The result : I now have a system that does what 'I' want rather than what the manufacture wants.
06-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I do agree Steve.

I think the K-S2 picking up weather sealing threw me a bit. That was always a major differentiator between entry and mid range. By adding that they effective made two camera ranges at the same level and not particularly different.

The K-S1 I could understand. Not saying I think it met its brief of attracting new younger users at all, but I could see the reasoning.

The K-S2 could have easily belonged in the K-50 range and one look st the rear of the K-70 reaffirms this.

The K-70 looks great. On a par with the value package the K-30 originally offered me years ago. From a K-30 personally though I'd be upgrading for a mic in socket and a twisty screen, and the hope that this sensor offers some better low noise at high ISO abilities mixed with that 14bit raw.
06-13-2016, 11:36 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
I do agree Steve.

I think the K-S2 picking up weather sealing threw me a bit. That was always a major differentiator between entry and mid range. By adding that they effective made two camera ranges at the same level and not particularly different.

The K-S1 I could understand. Not saying I think it met its brief of attracting new younger users at all, but I could see the reasoning.

The K-S2 could have easily belonged in the K-50 range and one look st the rear of the K-70 reaffirms this.

The K-70 looks great. On a par with the value package the K-30 originally offered me years ago. From a K-30 personally though I'd be upgrading for a mic in socket and a twisty screen, and the hope that this sensor offers some better low noise at high ISO abilities mixed with that 14bit raw.
Pentax probably did it to revive the K-Sx series since the K-S1 turned out to be a disappointment overall with bad reviews... so they added more features compared to the K-S1 like WR, articulating screen, wifi & many advanced features.