Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
06-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Disable IBIS for DSLR video or go back to Samsung for your sensors
You missed putting this inside sarcastic tags. Very unlikely Sony is going to leverage access to their sensors in order to keep Ricoh/Pentax from implementing IBIS in video mode. Basically, if a camera assembler pays its bills, Sony will sell it sensors. There isn't even a lot of evidence that Sony is holding back new sensors to give its own cameras an advantage in the marketplace.
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Canon and Nikon would wet their pants if the K-1 had that feature set, even Sony would get worried.
I think Ricoh sees video as a checkbox feature (a feature included so your product has a similar set of attributes as its competitors, but that feature doesn't have to be better than what the competitors offer, or even particularly useful). A serious hobbyist can take high quality still photographs by themselves in their spare time, it is impossible to do that with video. You need a trained, experienced videographer working with a genuinely talented team to put together a properly scripted video or you end up with Youtube garbage. So, if video is the domain of the professional, why not use professional, dedicated video equipment?

06-10-2016, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #17

the 28mp bsi sensors found on the nx1 and nx500 are not so shabby.ü
06-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I third the above, but suspect Steve's comment may be completely relevant also.

Fact. Pentax had this working.

Fact. The presented software alternative is an embarrassing failure, especially for a company that prides itself on IQ.

Serious Pentax Forums, this issue needs to be more strongly presented to Pentax next time. The company is essentially unreachable to the end customer.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

---------- Post added 06-11-16 at 09:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
You need a trained, experienced videographer working with a genuinely talented team to put together a properly scripted video

You missed putting this inside sarcastic tags.
06-10-2016, 03:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
There isn't even a lot of evidence that Sony is holding back new sensors to give its own cameras an advantage in the marketplace
Not surprisingly either. But it is a sound strategic move which is neither illegal or immoral.

06-12-2016, 10:18 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Sony: "Disable IBIS for DSLR video or go back to Samsung for your sensors"
Ricoh: "Oh, ok - will do"
It's the only thing that really makes sense, I suspect that that is it.

Companies do shady things all the time, just look at how MS strongarmed big companies into doing what benefits MS.

Sony does keep some sensors to themselves, to keep an advantage. They know their crowd, and they know they may wander off to Pentax if Pentax were just a little bit more competitive.

The K-70 has proper AF for video, with lenses designed for consumer video (i. e. easy to use). Doesn't sound like a checkbox feature to me...
06-13-2016, 07:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I would also like to know the answer to this. It seemed to work fine in the K5. If there is a reason to not include it, it would be nice for us to know it, so we don't keep asking for it.
06-13-2016, 10:20 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The last two posts seem to summarise the situation well. The K70 has some new features which give great advantage for video so why not have the same stabilisation which worked on the K5?

Or is this being saved for a K2? or whatever they call the K3 follow on?

06-13-2016, 01:01 PM   #23
Pentaxian

It's disappointing that this new uprated SR mechanism (to allow for pixel shift on the K-3ii, K-70 and assume something similar for the K-1) can't be used in video mode.

I'm not impressed to see developments of the mechanism that don't look to also address the issues preventing it's use in video mode.

Unless of course one of the two alternative options are correct. - Either they've done some sort of deal with Sony to not enable it in video mode in exchange for their sensors, or Pentax truly don't give a
06-13-2016, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
...... or Pentax truly don't give a
Or RICOH don't.
It was after the RICOH aquisition that MovieSR was introduced.
06-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Or RICOH don't.
It was after the RICOH aquisition that MovieSR was introduced.
Good point. I feel it was introduced to increase standardisation across the model ranges, and reduce software development costs by having a common block of code available for use on devices both with and without mechanical sensor stabilisation hardware.
06-13-2016, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
Good point. I feel it was introduced to increase standardisation across the model ranges, and reduce software development costs by having a common block of code available for use on devices both with and without mechanical sensor stabilisation hardware.
Which devices without?

AFAIK it was introduced after Fujitsu introduced a new generation of Milbeaut processors that have software based video stabilization integrated (a feature that all the other users of Milbeaut processors seem to have skipped... I wonder why...).

Do keep in mind that the cameras still have SR on in live view, if I'm not mistaken. The software, at least parts of it, has to be present.
06-13-2016, 03:05 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Which devices without?

Ricoh action cams for example:

Specifications / WG-4 | RICOH IMAGING