Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2016, 05:49 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I kind of have a feeling that if Sigma had not made a big deal about this issue (ie. not been proactive) then at some point a user would have noticed the scratch, there would have been some discussion here, and it mostly would have resulted in a shoulder shrug, with people who like their Sigma lenses just living with the superficial scratch, but not freaking out about it.

09-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #62

I have 2 Sigma lenses, a 28-80 Aspherical zoom and a 70-300 DL Macro, and both function normally on my new K-70. Go figgur.
09-07-2016, 01:36 PM   #63
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by g.e.lewis Quote
I have 2 Sigma lenses, a 28-80 Aspherical zoom and a 70-300 DL Macro, and both function normally on my new K-70. Go figgur.
Only certain lenses are affected - it's not a general problem with all Sigma lenses, just a select few
09-09-2016, 12:01 PM   #64
Forum Member

Just my two cents: all of you going on about Sigma being "pirates" and not paying Ricoh for whatever, and suggesting that Ricoh should design their cameras to be inoperable with Sigma and other third-party lenses, etc., don't seem to be taking into consideration the fact that a big part of the reason that Pentax sells as many cameras as it does now is exactly because of all the cheaper lens options available. I don't see any evidence for thinking that Pentax/Ricoh would sell more cameras and lenses if they switched to a closed ecosystem. It could very well have exactly the opposite effect and speed them toward bankruptcy.

09-09-2016, 02:04 PM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by imno007 Quote
Just my two cents: all of you going on about Sigma being "pirates" and not paying Ricoh for whatever, and suggesting that Ricoh should design their cameras to be inoperable with Sigma and other third-party lenses, etc., don't seem to be taking into consideration the fact that a big part of the reason that Pentax sells as many cameras as it does now is exactly because of all the cheaper lens options available..
Possibly, Imno, but the two companies with the most third-party options (Canon and Nikon) are losing the most money. :-)

It's a complex situation - 'partner in the ecosystem' means 'rival', too. For companies who hold camera prices down to make it back in lenses, that's a disaster.

If you consider Sony mirrorless a success, that's been done with the worst third-party support of all.

09-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #66
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Possibly, Imno, but the two companies with the most third-party options (Canon and Nikon) are losing the most money. :-)

It's a complex situation - 'partner in the ecosystem' means 'rival', too. For companies who hold camera prices down to make it back in lenses, that's a disaster.

If you consider Sony mirrorless a success, that's been done with the worst third-party support of all.
Well, my take on it is that if people have thousands to spend on cameras and lenses, maybe they're not as likely to be buying Pentax cameras - not because they aren't good cameras, but because if they have that much to spend they can afford an even better camera with more features. I suspect that the average person, who decides that $650 for a Pentax K-70 is the best bet for the money for him or her, is buying it with the added expectation that they can also get some good lenses for reasonable prices. If they didn't mind paying top dollar for lenses, they probably wouldn't invest in the Pentax system simply because the camera itself was cheaper. Maybe I'm wrong, but if Pentax/Ricoh is on an upswing already, as people seem to believe (I haven't actually seen any figures myself), then why mess with success?
09-09-2016, 06:34 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imno007 Quote
If they didn't mind paying top dollar for lenses, they probably wouldn't invest in the Pentax system simply because the camera itself was cheaper
That's pretty much why I chose the Pentax K-x over the Canon t2i several years ago, even though the t2i with the new 18MP sensor and full HD video was the hottest thing at the time. The Pentax body gave a lot more bang for the buck. I had hardly heard of Pentax at the time, but when I was looking to upgrade from my 4/3 DSLR, I recalled seeing an article about a cool looking Pentax DSLR that was even available in bright red. (I went with the white!)

These days between my Pentax system and my m43 system I spend way more on camera gear than I had ever dreamed back then, so who knows what I would chose today if I were not already into Pentax.

09-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Read the old thread in the K1 Forum. The "scratch" is so tiny and insignificant that only those having that Superman X-Ray vision can even see it!

Regards!
09-10-2016, 12:18 AM   #69
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The "scratch" is so tiny and insignificant that only those having that Superman X-Ray vision can even see it!
Getting older does have its advantages
09-10-2016, 07:19 AM   #70
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
That's pretty much why I chose the Pentax K-x over the Canon t2i several years ago, even though the t2i with the new 18MP sensor and full HD video was the hottest thing at the time. The Pentax body gave a lot more bang for the buck. I had hardly heard of Pentax at the time, but when I was looking to upgrade from my 4/3 DSLR, I recalled seeing an article about a cool looking Pentax DSLR that was even available in bright red. (I went with the white!)

These days between my Pentax system and my m43 system I spend way more on camera gear than I had ever dreamed back then, so who knows what I would chose today if I were not already into Pentax.
Yes, but my point was: would you have done that if you knew that most of lenses you might want for it up the road would cost you a premium? I don't see a lot of Pentax lenses in your signature.
09-10-2016, 07:23 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Getting older does have its advantages
Yep....they are many, but the disadvantages are too.....unfortunately!

Born without hair, teeth and much knowledge....we do revert back to needing what we needed back then....

I do think I was better lookin' then.....you think?

Whatever....Halloween is near and I won't spent a dime on any scary mask!

Old grouchy Norm likes to say my posts are "ridiculous".....and I can't really argue with him on that, but he isn't much more handsome than I am.

Regards! ...we do our best to enjoy or old age, it's tough, but we do pretty good at it...sometimes!
09-10-2016, 07:52 AM   #72
Pentaxian

In desperate need of some Botox I see.
01-05-2017, 08:44 AM   #73
Pentaxian

I have bought K-70 recently. Before buy it I had a lot of doubts about how it will go with my Sigma lenses. Used it with my SIGMA 24-70mm F2.8 IF EX DG HSM and SIGMA APO 120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM that are both in the list of "problem lenses". I am pleased to inform you that these lenses donīt leave any scratches.
01-15-2017, 07:14 PM   #74
Veteran Member

I just found this thread having just received my K-70 this past Friday. Of course, after reading this thread, I tried my glass on the K-70. All I shoot is Sigma. NONE of my glass has any issues. I must be lucky.
01-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #75

Photos: Albums
My lens is on the selected few list, but it's not caused a scratch on my K-70. Either it was "repaired" at the factory prior to sale, or this was an over hyped issue that Sigma did a good job of addressing.