Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-11-2016, 09:25 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Sunspots and Pixel Shift

For several years I've used my K30 (together with a Sigma 150-500 and DIY solar filter) to take pictures of sunspots. Today I tried the K-70 using the Pixel Shift feature. I wasn't expecting much as I assumed the resolution of the lens was the limiting factor. However, the results are WAY better than I ever achieved with the K30 - not sure how to explain this.

Looking forward to trying the moon next!

Below is a 100% crop (after much stretching of levels in PP)

Attached Images

08-11-2016, 09:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not an astronomer, but I think you've done very well with the K-70 and your post-processing technique. Neat.

QuoteOriginally posted by planteater Quote
On the other hand, it might be difficult to find sunspots there.

Looking forward to your moon shots, and any other celestial subjects!

- Craig
08-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Looks like dust spots on your sensor... only kidding . Very impressive!
08-11-2016, 11:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

looks good to me! great job.

08-11-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Nice! I think the increased resolution will really help out for astro shots.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-11-2016, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

For several years I've used my K30 (together with a Sigma 150-500 and DIY solar filter) to take pictures of sunspots. Today I tried the K-70 using the Pixel Shift feature. I wasn't expecting much as I assumed the resolution of the lens was the limiting factor. However, the results are WAY better than I ever achieved with the K30 - not sure how to explain this.
Nice. I am a professional solar physicist, so I appreciate your efforts. Can you tell us more about your solar filter?

It would be interesting to try pixel-shift with a much longer lens; well, actually, with an amateur astronomical telescope. However, the real limiting factor would be "seeing", i.e., atmospheric turbulence. No matter how high your resolution, you won't get past this. Modern large professional solar telescopes such as the Swedish Solar Telescope on La Palma use adaptive optics to keep this in check. Or we go to spacecraft to avoid it altogether. These are out of amateur reach of course, but it certainly is nice to see what can be achieved with a humble Pentax DSLR.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 08-15-2016 at 01:32 PM.
08-11-2016, 01:55 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by darylk Quote
Looks like dust spots on your sensor... only kidding . Very impressive!
That's why you use "rocket" blower to clean them! (Although you'd need the REALLY big one for those spots.)

08-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #8
Pentaxian

can you describe your DIY solar filter? I assume a solar filter is just a stronger ND filter? or does it notch out specific wavelengths?

I used a 9-stop ND and was able to see sunspots during an eclipse once, but was all the way out at 1/8000th : Sun Spots
08-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
can you describe your DIY solar filter? I assume a solar filter is just a stronger ND filter?

It's a sheet of Baadar Solar film taped to a cardboard box that fits over the Sigma lens hood.
08-11-2016, 03:50 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It's a sheet of Baadar Solar film taped to a cardboard box that fits over the Sigma lens hood.
thank you
07-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #11

Below is a 100% crop (after much stretching of levels in PP)
amazing! I have both a K70 and a sigma 150-500, and a film solar filter. I've not been able to get more than just the ring of the sun. What settings did you use? Were you at 500mm on the lens? Will I get more detail with a small aperture and longer ss? You rock!
07-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very impressed with these results from what is for this type of activity, humble kit. Always more questions though...
I imagine only live view is suitable for this type of shot?
Could the sensor be damaged by insufficient filtering?, I note Mike was at the limit with a 9 stop filter.
Good luck with the moon as well, I have tried at 300 mm and found it moves too fast for Pixel shift, but filling the frame more at 500 mm and under exposing could get the speed up where it works, costs nothing to try.
07-16-2017, 06:01 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
Oh my goodness!. I've a Sigma 50-500mm that I've been using for lunar photography, it's time to get out there and shoot the sun once I've affixed the appropriate filter of course.