Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2016, 12:56 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Another K-70 video example. Sadly quite poor also, soft and in places smeary, similar to the OP example.

08-30-2016, 04:58 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be clear - I don't do any video typically on my DSLR's or Mirrorless cameras. I just don't love video the way I love still images. I use my smartphone for video when I have to and that's about it.

So video doesn't matter a whole lot to me except on rare occasions. But I'm interested in how Pentax is progressing in this area because it does matter to a lot of people. I think better video = broader appeal. I have a buddy who is leaving Pentax for Canon because he makes Videos of bands and needs to up his game. He is creative and talented and has run out of ways to work around Pentax video. So we lose a lifelong Pentax photographer because the feature is so lacking that it is unacceptable at this point for him to consider Pentax seriously.
08-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I'm a hobby photographer, personal fun stuff only - however Pentax lost me too because of very poor video IQ, poor features (no HDMI out when recording) and their utterly crap'n'nasty digital SR.
I was sorry it came to that, but I'm much happier now..
One day I may return to the brand, who knows - nothing is forever. But it depends how Pentax evolve.
10-15-2016, 06:23 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I feel a little sad regarding this issue. Reading all the feedback and the review will force me to buy a Nikon d5300 for my daughter as she would like to do some video with her camera. This will be another deviation from my plan. How I wish we'll just have one system.

10-16-2016, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #20

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
I feel a little sad regarding this issue. Reading all the feedback and the review will force me to buy a Nikon d5300 for my daughter as she would like to do some video with her camera. This will be another deviation from my plan. How I wish we'll just have one system.
Personally I would like a review that actually shows the video differences between the Pentax K-70 and the Nikon and Canon cameras and lenses at the same price range specifically for video. The grass is always greener over there, so it would be interesting to see actual comparisons than just Pentax shortcomings.

I use my K-70 with a stabilizer grip (easier to handle for video anyway along with even more separation of the microphone and camera body). The gimble like results allow for smooth turns, pans and walking without a dolly setup. With the Movie Shake reduction turned off I have none of the wobbly shutter roll you normally get on pans and turns with SR on. I use AFC, but use wide angle. No hunting and looks great. Would love being able enable mechanical SR since I use an external microphone, bet a non-stabilizing grip could be used great if that was possible.

For real sports stunt shots I use a scorpion Jr. And my smartphone. With the WR that Samsung has had for a while and the new WR iPhone 7 you can see the reason the GoPro is struggling to maintain relevance.

Get a top notch IQ stills camera with some video like the K-70 and then upgrade her smartphone to one of the new Samsung (not the Note 7 of course) or an iPhone 7. With the clippy lenses I find the results superior to most needs.

Check out the use of smartphones for a number of shots in box office releases in recent years.

So I use two cameras, my DSLR and smartphone and have it all pretty well in hand.

Last edited by SeaRefractor; 10-16-2016 at 11:34 AM.