Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2016, 12:22 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Plenty of new K-3 available off-the-shelf here in the UK and Europe...
Not in Canada, though. I recently checked.

09-15-2016, 12:29 AM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
Not in Canada, though. I recently checked.
Checking just now, Amazon.ca is showing 2 in stock with more on the way... Pricing seems high, though. Probably better off buying from the USA - B&H etc.
Attached Images

Last edited by BigMackCam; 09-15-2016 at 12:35 AM.
09-15-2016, 02:22 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Checking just now, Amazon.ca is showing 2 in stock with more on the way... Pricing seems high, though. Probably better off buying from the USA - B&H etc.
When the price for a K3ii from a dealer source is lower, which it is, I reserve the right to have some doubts about the seller!

Pentax Canada has none, or didn't when my dealer checked 7 weeks ago. Would have jumped at a cheap K3. As it was, I ended up going the K70 route. So far I am very pleased with it as an upgrade over the K50.

Last edited by jgnfld; 09-15-2016 at 03:38 AM.
09-15-2016, 02:38 AM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

When the price for a K3ii from a dealer source is lower, which it is, I reserve the right to have some doubts about the seller! Pentax Canada has none, or didn't when my dealer checked 7 weeks ago. Would have jumped at a cheap K3.
Is there any reason why you didn't consider buying from a major US dealer such as B&H?

As it was, I ended up going the K70 route. So far I am very pleased with as an upgrade over the K50.
There's no doubt that the K-70 is an awesome camera, and my earlier recommendation that the OP should consider a K-3 certainly wasn't any slight against the K-70. I'd be happy to own one, that's for sure

09-15-2016, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there any reason why you didn't consider buying from a major US dealer such as B&H?

There's no doubt that the K-70 is an awesome camera, and my earlier recommendation that the OP should consider a K-3 certainly wasn't any slight against the K-70. I'd be happy to own one, that's for sure

The local independent dealer (i.e., not Henry's) here matches box store/internet prices but also adds things like warranties with included loaner while camera out for repair and included necessary cleanings (my K50 extended warranty has already paid for itself on cleanings alone as I had a severe problem for a while after an errant gust of wind at an inopportune time). Plus the Canadian Pentax manufacturer's warranty is significantly better than the US one. Basically, it is cheaper for me here to go the dealer + extended warranty route when considering the life cycle price. I'm speaking here of camera bodies, lenses can be a different matter though they matched the 55-300PLM RE Internet price so I got it there as well. Some dealers really do add value.
09-15-2016, 09:22 AM   #21
Veteran Member

When looking for the best 'in Canada' prices for cameras I tend to start off with this site Photography, Digital Camera, Lens Price Comparisons for Canada - photoprice.ca as it gives you a number of options for the item(s) selected.
09-15-2016, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #22
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a severe problem for a while after an errant gust of wind at an inopportune time
My sympathies - I had that happen at the dinner table once, and it's embarrassing!

09-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Plenty of new K-3 available off-the-shelf here in the UK and Europe...
Readily available in N. America as well.

Steve
09-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by jules99 Quote
My K30 has now completely given up - even on auto settings. I have been struggling with the known aperture issues for a few months now and was planning on buying a K70. One, yes one, arrives with my local dealer tomorrow. However, I am concerned that this may also develop the same problems. The K70 is so new to the market that i'm dithering but have been committed to Pentax because of the lenses I have. What, if any, good comments, reassurances, can anyone give me?
If your focus is on Sports/ fast Action/ Wildlife/ Bird photography, then go for K-3 II. You could also wait for any announcements for K-3 II successor.
I'd avoid the K-3, I dont think it would support future lenses with electromagnetic diaphragm aperture, for which Pentax (& nikon too) are already late. late as in 2-3 decades late compared to canon which used this technology since 1987 in their eos mount totally abandoning FD.

I'd say, you must use this opportunity to make yourself future proof.

If you are into landscapes/ macro/ shoot using tripod/ use awkward angles often (like me), then K-70 is the best solution (better than K-3 II in sensor, tilt screen), plus you get wifi hybrid AF.

& K-1 is off-course the best FF landscape camera.
09-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi jgnfld. Getting anything Pentax on The Rock is a challenge. Henry's used to carry some Pentax but don't any more. I have special ordered lenses from them but their supply chain is a dinosaur from the last century. Taking 10 weeks to receive a lens that is prepaid in full borders on insanity. I have had this experience 3 times with Henry's. I recently bought another high end Pentax prime but ordered from Newfoundland Camera. I paid $25 more than I could get it with a price match from Henry's - I was out shooting with my new glass in 2 weeks!

I have prepaid for lighting umbrellas and accessories from Henry's that have been in the inventory of other Henry's stores and it has still taken 4-6 weeks for the items to arrive. For comparison you should know it takes 8 dats to ship an Expedited Parcel (ground) from Vancouver to St. John's.

The Camera Store in Alberta has the K-3 in stock. They'll ship it Xpresspost with 3 day delivery!

Also, a few days after picking up my HD DA 70 from Henry's I noticed there was something inside the lens. I was told by the staff at Henry's to leave it alone if it doesn't affect the image quality. I was on my own to deal with Pentax for warranty. If you don't buy their extended warranty - you risk being orphaned if there's an issue. As a Henry's customer who had purchased a flagship camera model and 3 Pentax Limited primes over 6 months I had thought Henry's would look after me as a customer. I was wrong.
09-15-2016, 05:02 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by anu l Quote
I'd avoid the K-3, I dont think it would support future lenses with electromagnetic diaphragm aperture, for which Pentax (& nikon too) are already late. late as in 2-3 decades late compared to canon which used this technology since 1987 in their eos mount totally abandoning FD.

I'd say, you must use this opportunity to make yourself future proof.
I suggest that a potential purchaser carefully evaluate the current implementation of this feature before purchase. Improvements (firmware upgrades) may or may not be migrated once a body reaches end-of-life.

Steve
09-15-2016, 05:06 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
I was told by the staff at Henry's to leave it alone if it doesn't affect the image quality.
I think I personally would have escalated the matter with Henry's.

Steve
09-15-2016, 08:17 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi jgnfld... I recently bought another high end Pentax prime but ordered from Newfoundland Camera. I paid $25 more than I could get it with a price match from Henry's - I was out shooting with my new glass in 2 weeks!

I had thought Henry's would look after me as a customer. I was wrong.
I have had truly excellent sales and service from the former but very so so at best from the latter myself over the years. I never deal with Henrys any more, personally except for some supplies.

Good Lord, that's three known Pentaxes on the Avalon now!!! A K1 owned by pete-tarmigan, your K3, and my lowly K70. It's a wonder we're not tripping over each other!

Last edited by jgnfld; 09-15-2016 at 08:35 PM.
09-16-2016, 02:31 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi jgnfld. My colleague Rob in St. John's has two K-20's. I know two other Pentax shooters in the metro area with K-5's. I also sold my FA50 1.4 to a local lady shooting with a K-3. We're up to 8 now!
09-16-2016, 03:03 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi jgnfld. My colleague Rob in St. John's has two K-20's. I know two other Pentax shooters in the metro area with K-5's. I also sold my FA50 1.4 to a local lady shooting with a K-3. We're up to 8 now!

Heavens!!! Tomorrow the woorrrlllld!

That name just clicked...your place of business is very close to my house at the top of Prince of Wales. I drive by every day or two whenever I go west or shop at Dominions.

Last edited by jgnfld; 09-16-2016 at 03:31 AM.