Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2016, 06:53 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dminstrel Quote
the way the indoor stadiums are setup here, it's impossible to go on the sidelines
I'm assuming the field is considerably bigger than a basketball court, so the 18-135 really won't have enough reach. Tough choice, but 70-200mm is probably the ideal zoom range for you and there is a big difference between f2.8 and f5.6 (or whatever the 55-300 will open up to at 200mm). The Tamron should work with whatever Pentax body you have for the next 10 years, so if the screwdrive AF is acceptable you won't have to invest in an even more expensive fast zoom if you eventually upgrade your camera.

10-17-2016, 07:50 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The new HD 55-300 PLM seems intriguing (and is a lot cheaper than a 70-200 2.8).
Too slow, IMHO.

But your definition of 'keepers' might differ from that of others.
10-17-2016, 08:08 PM   #18
Pentaxian

The new HD 55-300 PLM seems intriguing (and is a lot cheaper than a 70-200 2.8). This means a body upgrade because of KAF4. Not many reviews online of this lens as it's so new.
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Too slow, IMHO.
But your definition of 'keepers' might differ from that of others.
I believe the root of the best answer is in your previous response
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Indoor venues are very dark, Dminstrel, and in indoor soccer the players are very close to your lens so freezing motion is much harder than the football pic above.

You already have an f2.8 lens and a good camera. Keep the shutter speed high, shoot in RAW, crank up the ISO, process in B&W where necessary if there's too much grain, and just accept it ... your shots will *never* be as good as if your son played outdoor soccer. :-)
We probably won't be in a position to give good answers for another year. We'll need a year of trials by pioneers such as the OP, trying various approaches and showing what they can do with this new K-70 camera and its largely unknown high-ISO capabilities.
10-18-2016, 09:55 AM   #19

Original Poster
Just to update you guys, after pondering your recommendations, I've pulled the trigger on the Tammy 70-200 2.8. I look forward on testing it in a couple of weeks (On order. I got a great price at my local store that didn't have it in stock).

Thanks!

10-19-2016, 12:50 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Just to update you guys, after pondering your recommendations, I've pulled the trigger on the Tammy 70-200 2.8. I look forward on testing it in a couple of weeks (On order. I got a great price at my local store that didn't have it in stock).

Thanks!
Good move

If you don't mind... share some results with us once you get the new setup going