Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2016, 04:25 PM - 1 Like   #1
Junior Member
*Rich's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 31
How to change ISO while LCD is facing camera body?

I do a lot of shooting from a kayak and was planning to reverse the LCD screen so that it faces inward against the camera body when things get rough. But it seems certain adjustments can not be made w. the screen in that position, ie. ISO.

Does anyone know if the K-70's ISO adjustment can be set up to work w/o viewing the LCD screen in its normal position? Thanks.

11-25-2016, 05:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 789
You could select TAv Mode and watch the ISO change in the viewfinder as you alter Av and Tv with the rear and front control dials. Alternatively you could use any of the Tv, Av, or Sv Modes, and go to Camera Menu 5, choose Button Customisation, followed by E-Dial Programming, then select one of the options for each mode that gives you control of ISO on either the rear or front control dial.
11-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #3
Moderator
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 9,622
There's an under documented feature that used to be on the bodies prior to adding a dedicated ISO button. Press the "Ok" button on the 4-way controller when the meter is on. ISO only will display in the viewfinder and you can change it with the front eDial. See if that works on the K-70.
11-25-2016, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,007
I don't have a K-70 at hand, but figure there is no harm in suggesting. Try this while looking through the viewfinder:
  1. Up-arrow on the four-way controller to enable change ISO
  2. Down-arrow for fixed ISO
  3. Rear e-dial (or front, whichever works) to adjust fixed ISO, new value should be visible in the viewfinder
  4. OK to confirm and exit (half-press on the shutter release may also work)
I don't believe the camera needs the rear LCD to be active in order to change non-menu settings.


Steve


Last edited by stevebrot; 11-25-2016 at 05:47 PM.
11-29-2016, 05:22 AM - 2 Likes   #5
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bratislava
Posts: 13
It works just like stevebrot wrote (step 2 is not necessary as with the screen facing toward camera body you can only set fixed ISO value). To return to Auto ISO press the green button while in ISO select mode. You won't be able to change the upper and lower ISO setting for Auto ISO without flipping the LCD towards you though.
12-08-2016, 11:44 AM   #6
Junior Member
*Rich's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 31
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There's an under documented feature that used to be on the bodies prior to adding a dedicated ISO button. Press the "Ok" button on the 4-way controller when the meter is on. ISO only will display in the viewfinder and you can change it with the front eDial. See if that works on the K-70.
Thanks, but that work-around doesn't seem to work on the K-70. With LCD screen turned towards the body and meter on, pressing the "OK" button doesn't seem to do anything when either eDial is used. Holding the "OK" button also doesn't seem to do anything.

---------- Post added 12-08-16 at 12:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't have a K-70 at hand, but figure there is no harm in suggesting. Try this while looking through the viewfinder:
  1. Up-arrow on the four-way controller to enable change ISO
  2. Down-arrow for fixed ISO
  3. Rear e-dial (or front, whichever works) to adjust fixed ISO, new value should be visible in the viewfinder
  4. OK to confirm and exit (half-press on the shutter release may also work)
I don't believe the camera needs the rear LCD to be active in order to change non-menu settings.
Steve
Thanks Steve, but the procedure you laid out doesn't seem to work.

Tried it in the Av (Aperture Priority) mode, which I normally use, and also the AUTO and P modes. And a line never appears below the ISO setting in the viewfinder indicating it can be changed via an eDial. The only way I can achieve this is in Sv (Sensitivity Priority) mode, but then I lose control of the aperture & shutter speed settings which are being set automatically.

Also tried having ISO AUTO set initially, and then your procedure, but no luck.

Actually, it looks like none of the four-way controller dial settings can be altered w. the LCD screen closed towards the camera body. Looks like I need to come up with another work-around.

Even w. an LCD protector installed, the screen is going to get smashed eventually shooting one-handed from all the action in a moving kayak. Rapidly changing luminosity from canyon walls, trees etc., really require ISO to be changed. I have tried the ISO AUTO setting, but it just doesn't seem to come up w. the best aperture/shutter combinations I require.
12-08-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,007
QuoteOriginally posted by *Rich Quote
Thanks Steve, but the procedure you laid out doesn't seem to work.
That sucks...

QuoteOriginally posted by miky Quote
It works just like stevebrot wrote (step 2 is not necessary as with the screen facing toward camera body you can only set fixed ISO value). To return to Auto ISO press the green button while in ISO select mode. You won't be able to change the upper and lower ISO setting for Auto ISO without flipping the LCD towards you though.
Perhaps you two can trade a few private messages to figure out what is different between setups.


Steve

12-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,007
QuoteOriginally posted by *Rich Quote
I have tried the ISO AUTO setting, but it just doesn't seem to come up w. the best aperture/shutter combinations I require.
TAv mode?


Steve
12-08-2016, 01:12 PM   #9
Junior Member
*Rich's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 31
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
TAv mode?

Steve
Nope. Looks like none of the four-way controller based settings can be adjusted w. the LCD screen facing the camera body.
12-09-2016, 04:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 789
The method I outlined in Post #2 works with the K-70 - which is why I wrote the post!

E.g. I have just tested it again by setting it in Tv Mode - front dial for Tv and rear dial for ISO - closed the LCD and used the dials - watched the Av vary appropriately in the viewfinder as each dial is turned to different values.

Try it!

Last edited by MrB1; 12-09-2016 at 04:45 AM.
12-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #11
New Member




Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Bratislava
Posts: 13
I've just checked my settings and have to give a correction to my previous post. You can change the ISO on Sv mode - that's the standard funkcionality and then you can change it in Tv and Av modes by setting up the eDial in Button customization to Tv/ISO/ISOAuto for Tv mode and ISO/Av/ISOAuto for Av mode. Then when shooting with closed LCD, you just use the other dial for change of ISO value.
12-10-2016, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #12
Junior Member
*Rich's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Silver City, New Mexico, USA
Posts: 31
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
You could select TAv Mode and watch the ISO change in the viewfinder as you alter Av and Tv with the rear and front control dials. Alternatively you could use any of the Tv, Av, or Sv Modes, and go to Camera Menu 5, choose Button Customisation, followed by E-Dial Programming, then select one of the options for each mode that gives you control of ISO on either the rear or front control dial.
Thanks. Downloaded the extended User Manual and studied the details of doing this. I shoot in Av mode, so I set the front eDial to adjust aperture while the rear eDial adjusts ISO. Works great, even w. the LCD screen turned towards the body for protection. I can see the adjusted ISO in the viewfinder. Thanks.
12-11-2016, 01:46 AM   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 789
QuoteOriginally posted by *Rich Quote
Thanks. Downloaded the extended User Manual and studied the details of doing this. I shoot in Av mode, so I set the front eDial to adjust aperture while the rear eDial adjusts ISO. Works great, even w. the LCD screen turned towards the body for protection. I can see the adjusted ISO in the viewfinder. Thanks.


"I love it when a plan comes together!"
03-22-2017, 01:28 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Kuzma's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Moscow
Posts: 454
And is there any posibility to change ISO in M mode without switching controller regime? It is very uncomfortable. To change ISO and then go back to AF-points I have to do too much actions: switch regime, press Up-arrow, change ISO, again switch regime.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
auto, button, camera, change, change iso, controller, iso, iso while lcd, k-70, k70, lcd, pentax k-70, position, screen, settings, viewfinder
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When camera is in "AF Active Area Select" how to use ISO, Flash, WB, timer buttons? Newtophotos Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 10-12-2015 06:23 AM
How to change LCD on K-r Pentax_Manitu Pentax K-r 2 05-07-2012 03:55 PM
How bad is to change lens while K5's power is on nirVaan Pentax K-5 & K-5 II 15 07-18-2011 07:03 PM
How to change ISO in Manual Mode closekd Pentax K-r 2 07-04-2011 09:26 AM
How to reduce high ISO noise while shooting PentaxPoke Pentax DSLR Discussion 21 05-17-2008 07:17 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:42 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top