Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2017, 06:39 PM   #1

Slowest shutter speed for Pixel S Res handheld

What is the slowest shutter speed you would use with Pixel Shift Resolution mode handheld and with Shake reduction on? Is it a good idea to shoot in PSR mode handheld at all?

04-29-2017, 07:07 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just don't bother to shoot pixel shift hand held.

Pixel shift is based on tiny movements of the sensor, literally one pixel in different directions to improve color data. There is no way that this has any benefit unless you are steady on a tripod. Just shoot a single frame and process it and it will be fine and save pixel shift for relatively still days combined with a tripod.
04-29-2017, 07:09 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tigs Quote
Is it a good idea to shoot in PSR mode handheld at all?
You should never use it hand held. Your images will be worse than without PSR (unless you extract a single frame).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-29-2017, 10:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Its a myth to be able to shoot PS handheld.

Any claim that it can be done is because the user has been using a software that does not tell him/her that the layering in PS did not work due to movement (of which a pixel worth of movement will be enough for PS to not use the other frames).

So just use a tripod.

04-29-2017, 11:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've had a play with this in order to see what difference it makes and from my observations, pixel shift doesnt do anything positive when handheld, shake reduction doesn't do anything positive when on a tripod.

I don't know what the compatibility of pixel shift and shake reduction is, but I can't see how they wouldn't work against each other.
04-30-2017, 02:38 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pixel shift disables shake reduction automatically.
04-30-2017, 02:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

That makes sense

04-30-2017, 02:59 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Just don't bother to shoot pixel shift hand held.

Pixel shift is based on tiny movements of the sensor, literally one pixel in different directions to improve color data. There is no way that this has any benefit unless you are steady on a tripod.
This is very descriptive thus helpful answer, thank you.
04-30-2017, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For pixel shift, I always use my heaviest tripod (a surveyors tripod actually). The travelling tripods or even my fairly hefty Gitzo Studex doesn't quite cut it. I was frankly amazed at what a difference the choice of tripod made in producing sharp architectural images. For landscapes using the Motion Pixel shift, its seems the type of tripod used is less important.