Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2017, 07:26 AM   #1

Should I upgrade to K-70

I've a Pentax K-5 which I've learned to use it and I like this Pentax very much, but in the last few weeks it has been giving me little problems.
In a couple of weeks I'll be starting a 3 week trip, our vacation this year for my wife and I, and it will be very disappointing if my K5 fails during this trip.
So my question is: if I'm to upgrade my camera, which one do you recommend the K-70 (more affordable and newer) or the K-3II (more expensive but manageable, but with more years in the market)?
Thank you for taking your time to answer this question.
Best regards
JP Sanchez

Last edited by photolady95; 05-13-2017 at 08:39 AM.
05-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Impossible to answer.

How do you use your K-5? What is important to you? Compared to the K-70, the K-3 II has a more advanced AF, better build quality, deeper buffer I believe, but it lacks a flash.

And even after all of this, I would never tell anyone he or she "should" upgrade. It's not my decision, it's yours. I can tell you what I might do, that's all.
05-13-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-5 was a flagship APS-C in its day. The K-3II is also a flagship level APS-C model. The feel and functionality will be similar but performance with the K-3II will be a noticeable improvement over your current camera body. The K-3II also has a shutter life that is double that of the K-70. If you keep your cameras for a long time - the more robust longer lasting model is a worthwhile investment.

The K-70 is a mid-range model. Terrific camera but a tier below to what you are accustomed. If you can spring for the K-3II you should seriously consider it.
05-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How much do you need the onboard flash in your daily shooting? If the answer is "a lot", the K-3ii is not for you.

05-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
K3ii at the current price is a steal. I just upgraded from a K30 and couldn't be happier.
05-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Starbase218 asked a central question: How do you use your current camera?

I take a lot of pictures while bicycle touring --so size and weight are important to me. Also, I don't have room in my bag for a flash, so high-ISO is important to me, as is a built-in flash. The K-70 is slightly smaller than the K3 II, and weighs nearly 100 grams less with battery. The K-70 built in flash is better than my previous K-50. The K-70 has max ISO 102400, as opposed to 51200 for the K3 II.

I have not used a K3 or K3 II, but for the reasons mentioned, I chose the K-70. It feels great in my hands, and I like it a _lot_ more than the K-50.
05-13-2017, 04:44 PM   #7
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Start with this comparator: Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

And see this helpful comparison: https://tweaknhack.blogspot.com.au/2016/07/pentax-k-70-vs-pentax-k-3-ii-detailed.html

Now you have the underlying facts, the question is which features matter most to you.

I've got one flagship camera (K-3) and one lighter-weight model (K-S2). I like them for different things. The K-3 for more robustness, battery life, much better AF, better metering, more heft (good for telephoto and other heavy lenses), dedicated buttons (e.g. ISO button), top LCD, better dust control, faster frame rate, etc. K-S2 for flippy screen (very handy for live view shooting above or below eye level), wi-fi, light wieght. The comparison would be closer with the K-70.

For a 3 week vacation, the lighter weight, flippy screen and in-built flash of the K-70 might seem to give it an edge over the K-3ii - but remember that the weight advantage is diminished by needing to carry a couple of spare batteries for the K-70 because of the much lower capacity.

Last edited by Des; 05-14-2017 at 05:33 PM.
05-15-2017, 11:18 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Impossible to answer.

How do you use your K-5? What is important to you? Compared to the K-70, the K-3 II has a more advanced AF, better build quality, deeper buffer I believe, but it lacks a flash.

And even after all of this, I would never tell anyone he or she "should" upgrade. It's not my decision, it's yours. I can tell you what I might do, that's all.
Starbase 218: thank you for your reply. I'm an amateur photographer, now only using the M function on my K5
I do my early morning pictures (almost every day), flowers and family pictures; not professional, just for my personal use.
05-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Saltwater Images Quote
The K-5 was a flagship APS-C in its day. The K-3II is also a flagship level APS-C model. The feel and functionality will be similar but performance with the K-3II will be a noticeable improvement over your current camera body. The K-3II also has a shutter life that is double that of the K-70. If you keep your cameras for a long time - the more robust longer lasting model is a worthwhile investment.

The K-70 is a mid-range model. Terrific camera but a tier below to what you are accustomed. If you can spring for the K-3II you should seriously consider it.
Saltwater images:
Thank you for your answer, it helps me to understand where the K5 stands, relative to more "professional" or "consumer", with de K3-II and K70
05-15-2017, 03:38 PM   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPSanchez;4000874I:
'm an amateur photographer, now only using the M function on my K5 I do my early morning pictures (almost every day), flowers and family pictures; not professional, just for my personal use.
Either the K-70 or the K-3ii will have all the features you are likely to want, and probably more.

To be honest, if you are using only the kit lenses, you might get more value from either repairing your K-5 or buying a second-hand K-3 (which has the advantage of a popup flash, unlike the K-3ii), and spending the difference on one really good lens, whether a zoom (such as the DA 16-85 or the Sigma 17-70C), or a prime at your preferred focal length.
05-15-2017, 05:45 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Start with this comparator: Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax K-3 II - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

And see this helpful comparison: Pentax K-70 vs Pentax K-3 II - A Detailed Feature Comparison

Now you have the underlying facts, the question is which features matter most to you.

I've got one flagship camera (K-3) and one lighter-weight model (K-S2). I like them for different things. The K-3 for more robustness, battery life, much better AF, better metering, more heft (good for telephoto and other heavy lenses), dedicated buttons (e.g. ISO button), top LCD, better dust control, faster frame rate, etc. K-S2 for flippy screen (very handy for live view shooting above or below eye level), wi-fi, light wieght. The comparison would be closer with the K-70.

For a 3 week vacation, the lighter weight, flippy screen and in-built flash of the K-70 might seem to give it an edge over the K-3ii - but remember that the weight advantage is diminished by needing to carry a couple of spare batteries for the K-70 because of the much lower capacity.
Des:
Thank you for the links. Great information!
I decided that I'll like best the features of the K3-II .