Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-19-2017, 06:12 PM   #1

Wi-Fi Help Needed for a K-70 Novice

Hi Everyone,

My K-70 has been out of the box for three days. I'm trying to connect my camera to my smart phone to download images straight from the K-70. Page 44 of the owner's manual lists the steps, but when I load the camera ID (with camera ID and password), into the Wi-FI section in my iPhone 6C Plus, the iPhone says it can't connect to the K-70.

So, what am I missing? Thank you in advance for helping.

06-19-2017, 09:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Once you have activated the cameras wifi, you should be able to see the ssid in the list of networks on your iPhone, pick the camera ssid and enter the password - that should do it.

Last edited by DrawsACircle; 06-20-2017 at 02:14 AM.
06-19-2017, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you press the Wi-Fi button, a gray wifi icon should appear in the top right of the LCD (near the battery icon, shake reduction and AE metering icon).

When that is turned on, go to Settings in your iPhone and tap wi-fi. Look on the list for Pentax and then some combo of letters and numbers -- that is it.

If you are in another wi-fi hotspot, it won't automatically correct; however, if you're out and about beyond wi-fi, it should. Your iPhone will note there's no internet connection with the Pentax network. That's OK.

Then, you'll need to open your ImageSync app -- you did download that, right? That is another tricky step. It opens to your camera roll or application. I choose application usually. You'll see your phone's pictures. Swipe to the left. If you're connected, you'll start to see what's on your card. A quick tap opens the image, and you can look through them on the phone screen. A tap on the back arrow and you're back to the grid. When you put your finger on the thumbnail and hold it on the screen for a couple of seconds, choices pop up -- I usually pick the one on the left, which saves the pic to the phone. It takes about 10-15 seconds to transfer a file. Even then, it's a little tricky.

I don't use the remote control function. I've got better tools (a remote, a self-timer, etc.) for that function.

The whole process can be finicky -- I use it a lot, but sometimes it takes a few moments for the camera and phone to shake hands. When done right, you'll have the best Instagram account of all your friends. Note, however, that even the jpg files come in big and can fill a phone pretty quick.

Good luck!
06-20-2017, 04:21 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by NoCo Pentaxian Quote
[...] Note, however, that even the jpg files come in big and can fill a phone pretty quick.

Good luck!
If it's just for Instagram, it's enough to process the image in camera and save it as JPEG M, one or two stars compression (out of three). It's more than enough for the Instagram filters and basic edits, and it transfers in 5 seconds max (from the camera to the phone, thru WiFi).

Used it to process a raw file (DNG format) on the phone, using Lightroom and Snapseed (both of them able to process the DNGs). I thought that the transfer has stalled, it took more than a minute to transfer a 29MB file; pretty disappointing, considering that the phone can download (thru WiFi, but also thru 4G) at least 8-10MB/s (about 100Mbps top speed). Pretty disappointing for the Pentax WiFi implementation, but (again) it helps if you resize the original file in camera.

06-20-2017, 05:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
Once you have activated the cameras wifi, you should be able to see the ssid in the list of networks on your iPhone, pick the camera ssid and enter the password - that should do it.
To DrawsACircle: Yes, I've done that and I've seen the network on my phone, picked the Pentax SSID and entered the password. My phone says it cannot connect to the camera. Frustrating. Thanks for your quick response and help. I'll try other suggested options listed on this thread.
03-21-2018, 07:58 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Roger Dier Quote
To DrawsACircle: Yes, I've done that and I've seen the network on my phone, picked the Pentax SSID and entered the password. My phone says it cannot connect to the camera. Frustrating. Thanks for your quick response and help. I'll try other suggested options listed on this thread.
Did you ever figure your WiFi out. I have a new k70 (my second, first was defective). Out of box less than 24 hours. Trying to connect so 1. Picked device in settings, typed in password then it says in orange no internet connection. I know how to do this because it was one of the few things that worked with the defective one. I’m about so over k70.
03-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dmrbrtsn Quote
Did you ever figure your WiFi out. I have a new k70 (my second, first was defective). Out of box less than 24 hours. Trying to connect so 1. Picked device in settings, typed in password then it says in orange no internet connection. I know how to do this because it was one of the few things that worked with the defective one. I’m about so over k70.
?

The phone is connected to your camera by wifi, not the Internet.

03-21-2018, 12:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

As clackers states, your phone connects to the wifi hotspot created by the K-70 - there`s no internet connection, so all you have to do is open Imagesync and you`re good to go.
03-22-2018, 03:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I also have a K-70, I watched this video for wifi connection for the K-S2 and I think the set up is virtually the same, hope it helps!
03-22-2018, 09:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Roger Dier Quote
Could you please post a screenshot? Because the message could be a ✅ tickmark on Pentax ip in your phone but “ no internet connection “ which is fine because your camera is not a router or source of internet and thus phone gives such message. But if ✅ mark is there means it is connected. Now you need to open image sync app and there is a tiny icon on right most corner for establishing connection with camera via image sync. Once that is done you can wirelessly open your camera images, import them to your phone/tab and also shoot using your phone/tab.

K-70 manual needs to have more info on image sync app and its usage.

Atindra
03-24-2018, 04:54 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Wi-Fi & Image Sync App

QuoteOriginally posted by Atindra Quote
Could you please post a screenshot? Because the message could be a ✅ tickmark on Pentax ip in your phone but “ no internet connection “ which is fine because your camera is not a router or source of internet and thus phone gives such message. But if ✅ mark is there means it is connected. Now you need to open image sync app and there is a tiny icon on right most corner for establishing connection with camera via image sync. Once that is done you can wirelessly open your camera images, import them to your phone/tab and also shoot using your phone/tab.

K-70 manual needs to have more info on image sync app and its usage.

Atindra
More info on wi-fi is in the owners manual pg 97 to 107 Ricoh has also issued an update for Image Sync to version 1.1.6
follow the link here: Image Sync / APP / DOWNLOAD / SUPPORT | RICOH IMAGING

Additional Link on connecting to wi-fi for K-70 http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/download/app/image-sync/connect.html

There is also a good explanation on using the app, to bad they didn't include a more thorough help page within the app itself.

Thought I would also add an additional link here for an app a PentaxForum member has developed!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/190-pentax-k-1/352815-alternative-choice...o-sync-12.html

Last edited by SharkyCA; 03-26-2018 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Additional Link