Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2017, 05:37 PM   #1

K-70 User Problem with SMC Pentax F 4.5 - 5.6 100-300 mm lens

I'm embarrassed to ask, but obviously, not too embarrassed.

I'm new to the K-70. I bought a used SMC Pentax-F zoom lens. I used it with the auto timer to take a few test shots of the gibbous moon. Suddenly, the camera and lens began having an argument and what shows up on the live view is the F - - blinking, no matter what ISO setting I have it at. I can't take manual or auto timed shots. If I put in the 18-135 lens that came with the camera, it works great. When I switch out to the 100-300 mm zoom, nothing happens but a lot of blinking.

I'm hoping the solution is obvious. If it is, please share.

I'll watch the thread to answer questions as fast as I can.

Thank you kindly.

07-05-2017, 05:49 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like the contacts on the lens need cleaning - personally (and others will disagree ) I use a pencil eraser to gently go over the contacts - just be careful not to have any eraser bits go inside the lens. Good luck.
07-05-2017, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ChipB is correct. The contacts are dirty. I've had the best luck with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol. Just don't soak it, you don't want alcohol inside the lens.
07-05-2017, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Roger Dier Quote
I'm embarrassed to ask, but obviously, not too embarrassed.

I'm new to the K-70. I bought a used SMC Pentax-F zoom lens. I used it with the auto timer to take a few test shots of the gibbous moon. Suddenly, the camera and lens began having an argument and what shows up on the live view is the F - - blinking, no matter what ISO setting I have it at. I can't take manual or auto timed shots. If I put in the 18-135 lens that came with the camera, it works great. When I switch out to the 100-300 mm zoom, nothing happens but a lot of blinking.

I'm hoping the solution is obvious. If it is, please share.

I'll watch the thread to answer questions as fast as I can.

Thank you kindly.
Also, make sure the aperture ring is set to "A". If it's set to "A", the contacts have been cleaned, and you still can't get it to work, chances are that the aperture mechanism in the lens has issues.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-05-2017, 08:43 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Roger Dier Quote
live view is the F - - blinking
Blinking?

To elaborate on the comments above, "F--" indicates that the body does not detect a lens that supports automatic aperture control by the body. The "F--" display is normal and expected when the lens mounted does not have contacts on the base or the aperture ring (when present) is not on the "A" position. Specifically, it means that one of the contacts, the so-called "A" contact is not detected. If neither is the case, "F--" often means that the contacts on lens and/or body are not making good contact and need to be cleaned. If that does not work and other lenses work fine, there is a fault (most likely a broken wire or something similar) in the lens.

Still, it is the blinking that is most disturbing. A blinking display usually means something as simple as the light on the subject is outside the range of the exposure system. So, now some questions:
  • Does it blink with the lens cap off and the camera pointed at some random daylight scene? (ISO set to 200 with aperture ring at widest setting)
  • If you have access to another camera, are there problems with that body as well?
  • Addendum: Are you sure the aperture ring is in the "A" position? There is a small button that must be pressed to allow the ring to move into place.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-05-2017 at 10:31 PM.
07-06-2017, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
Hello Everyone,

Thank you to everyone who helped me figure this out. I cleaned the contacts with alcohol and a cotton swab, and following that, I also made sure the aperture ring was set to the "A" position. Your suggestions did the trick, and for that I am very grateful. Thank you for your help, sincerely. :-)