Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #1

K-70 rear adjustment wheel acting up after fog

While I'm posting things, thought I'd share something annoying I noticed during a recent vacation trip. I spent a couple of nights shooting on a foggy beach (not getting salt splashed or anything, just humid) and the next day after each time, the rear adjustment wheel (aperture, etc.) sometimes wouldn't work. Each time power cycling fixed the issue temporarily. After some time in dryer air the problem went away.

I'm perplexed. The fact that powering off/on fixed things would suggest something more electronic than just a wet wheel-to-sensor connection, but it on the other hand I've only seen this after getting it damp. Also, you'd think moderate fog usage would fall under the weather resistant "umbrella" (pun indented). Shooting in moderately inclement weather was one of the main Pentax attractions for me (this is my first dslr...).

Anyone experience this? Should I be worried or just assume it's a quirk? If it's a weather sealing defect I'd feel sheepish if I ignored it and subsequently trashed the body during the next light rain shower (or let it happen and buy a K-1???).

Thanks!

08-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

i would return it
08-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tinylights Quote
While I'm posting things, thought I'd share something annoying I noticed during a recent vacation trip. I spent a couple of nights shooting on a foggy beach (not getting salt splashed or anything, just humid) and the next day after each time, the rear adjustment wheel (aperture, etc.) sometimes wouldn't work. Each time power cycling fixed the issue temporarily. After some time in dryer air the problem went away.

I'm perplexed. The fact that powering off/on fixed things would suggest something more electronic than just a wet wheel-to-sensor connection, but it on the other hand I've only seen this after getting it damp. Also, you'd think moderate fog usage would fall under the weather resistant "umbrella" (pun indented). Shooting in moderately inclement weather was one of the main Pentax attractions for me (this is my first dslr...).

Anyone experience this? Should I be worried or just assume it's a quirk? If it's a weather sealing defect I'd feel sheepish if I ignored it and subsequently trashed the body during the next light rain shower (or let it happen and buy a K-1???).

Thanks!
How long have you had it? If less than 60 days, I would contact the store from which you purchased to to exchange for a new one. If you have had it longer, warranty service might be a good option. The problem may not be related to the fog.

Steve
08-12-2017, 06:30 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tinylights Quote

Thanks!
Was the camera in instant review mode by any chance?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-12-2017, 07:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks very much Adam, Steve, Jeff.

I've had the camera since January, only taken about 4000 shots (started out slow), but spending pretty much all my time in Av TAv and M modes (using that wheel a lot). The thing I'm worried about is that, if I send it in for warranty repair or replacement it DEFINITELY will not display this problem when they test it. I've spent like 10 hours shooting in dry conditions after those fog incidents with no problems. I don't have any experience with Ricoh's CS but I'd rather not give up time with my only camera body only to be told I'm SOL. I don't imaging I can get them to go for a two-hour walk in the fog then test!!!!

Adam: I do indeed have instant view mode enabled (1 sec). I'm not accidentally zooming in on my last shot instead of changing aperture, if that's what your intimating. Or is there something else I'm not considering? Pretty much every time the problem has occurred I noticed the lack of response and power cycled before any shutter releases. The wheel wouldn't respond within the menus either.

Thanks,
Jamin