Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

Questions about Live View on K-70

Hello all,

Does anyone know if the functionality of live view was changed from K-30 to K-70? This is probably not the best description of it, but it seems to function more slowly than it did on my old K-30. Almost sounds like the shutter is opening and closing a couple times, and if I'm trying to take a shot hand held, I have to hold the camera still for significantly longer than when using the OVF.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

12-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That sounds odd. My K-S2 is the same speed and operation as my K-30 in live view. it hasn't gotten changed over to the 2 sec delay has it? I know my K-S2 gets moved if I am not careful and bump the 4 way dial then it behaves like you say with what sounds like a double shutter release n LV.

Last edited by patrick9; 12-25-2017 at 06:41 PM.
12-25-2017, 06:28 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It should feel smoother in low light if anything. Also, it's possible that the shutter sound is a little bit different as it's been optimized for better stability in LV. Wasn't the K-30's shutter coupled with the mirror?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-25-2017, 08:46 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you both. I found the following quote in a review of the K-70 on another site:

“It’s not too bad as DSLRs go, but it’s much slower autofocusing in live view than any mirrorless competitor, and personally I found it too clunky for normal use. This is compounded by the camera’s insistence on flipping the mirror down and up again to take a picture in live view, which feels about a decade out of date.”

I don’t necessarily understand it, but that mirror down and up action would seem to describe both what I’m hearing and the delay. Not sure why it’s necessary in live view. Perhaps someone out there can help me?

12-26-2017, 06:46 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Now just adding a little more information in case it's useful/interesting to anyone.

Prior to today, I'd never put the camera in the "mirror lock up" setting. I tried it today, took a shot or two, then reset it to regular single shot exposure. Since doing that, the issue I described in this post originally seems significantly improved. The shutter sound is still different in live view than when using OVF, but not as exaggerated as it used to be. No idea if there's any logic to that, or if it's just all in my imagination. Anyway, I'm happy for now
01-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anselesn Quote
I don’t necessarily understand it, but that mirror down and up action would seem to describe both what I’m hearing and the delay. Not sure why it’s necessary in live view. Perhaps someone out there can help me?
The entry level Pentax cameras also use the mirror motor to step down the lens aperture when a shot is taken. A solenoid (infamous from K30/K50 aperture block failures) is used to stop the lens completely closing down as the mirror cycles. In live view, these cameras need to drop the mirror again, so the motor can drive the aperture mechanism when the shot is taken. The higher end models (like the K-3) have a separate aperture stepper motor, so they don't need to drop the mirror in live view.

In live view, the shutter is also open prior to the shot (so you can frame the scene on the LCD). When the shot is taken, the shutter first closes (while the sensor is cleared), and then opens for the specified time to capture the shot (just like a normal OVF shot). Afterwards, the shutter opens again to put the camera back in live view mode.

I'm not totally familiar with the operation of the K-70 (especially the mirror lockup mode), so it may behave slightly differently. I know it has the capability of using an electronic shutter for the successive shots in pixel shift mode but I'm not certain if this is used at any other time. If someone has more experience, please let us know.
02-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
Here I have a question regarding Live View shooting with K-70. When I take a picture in Live View Mode and of course would like to look back how it is then I push the Play button. In that case the mirror flip and when I go back to the Live View Mode to continue shooting then the mirror flip again. This is so annoying that every single photo the mirror flips 3 times. Why not possible to look back the photo with the Play button without mirror flip? Is it possible to switch off this function somewhere or that's the way it is? My other DSLR camera brand doesn't do it. Thanks for everybody's help.

Last edited by Carlos33; 02-28-2020 at 10:21 AM.
03-02-2020, 02:09 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Carlos33 Quote
Here I have a question regarding Live View shooting with K-70. When I take a picture in Live View Mode and of course would like to look back how it is then I push the Play button. In that case the mirror flip and when I go back to the Live View Mode to continue shooting then the mirror flip again. This is so annoying that every single photo the mirror flips 3 times. Why not possible to look back the photo with the Play button without mirror flip? Is it possible to switch off this function somewhere or that's the way it is? My other DSLR camera brand doesn't do it. Thanks for everybody's help.
I don't have only Pentax bodies here but it is similar as you describe it with the K30 and K5, LV is switched off as soon as you switch the button with the blue arrow (Playback). Not so with the KP, it keeps LV switched on.
I can't remember how it was with the K3 though, mine is gone but possibly similar to the KP.

I only can guess that having it more comfortable such as with the KP will cost.
The K70 has an amazing low price, is an amazing bargain/best-buy DSLR so one can't have all.

What you can do is to change "Instant Review" (menu camera-symbol 5 directly beneath Live-View options)

from 1 sec. to 3 or 5 sec.! Thus you will have more time to review the taken photo
03-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
I don't have only Pentax bodies here but it is similar as you describe it with the K30 and K5, LV is switched off as soon as you switch the button with the blue arrow (Playback). Not so with the KP, it keeps LV switched on.
I can't remember how it was with the K3 though, mine is gone but possibly similar to the KP.

I only can guess that having it more comfortable such as with the KP will cost.
The K70 has an amazing low price, is an amazing bargain/best-buy DSLR so one can't have all.

What you can do is to change "Instant Review" (menu camera-symbol 5 directly beneath Live-View options)

from 1 sec. to 3 or 5 sec.! Thus you will have more time to review the taken photo
Hello

Many thanks for your help. Now I changed to "HOLD" instead of 3 or 5 sec and this way if I take a photo in Live View it holds the photo. I can zoom in, look back.
It is wonderful and without flipping the mirror.
Yes, I really like my K-70 although I expected more of the 55-300 PLM. At 300mm the f6.3 is too soft, I cannot use is for small birds. Maybe the KP a bit better?
08-16-2020, 07:39 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Carlos33 Quote
Hello

Many thanks for your help. Now I changed to "HOLD" instead of 3 or 5 sec and this way if I take a photo in Live View it holds the photo. I can zoom in, look back.
It is wonderful and without flipping the mirror.
Yes, I really like my K-70 although I expected more of the 55-300 PLM. At 300mm the f6.3 is too soft, I cannot use is for small birds. Maybe the KP a bit better?
Sorry for a very delayed answer, I didn't notice it:
I have both, the K70 and the KP as well as the 55-300PLM.
I must admit, the K70 is more a backup, I use the KP most of the time.
Particular for birds the AF of the KP is superior!
These days you find pretty good deals for the KP.
Also the K70 can develope the stuck-solenoid i.e. aperture problem. More rare that with the K-S2 or others, but it does happen at times.

So if you can sell it and get a KP: A great choice!

About the sound you hear when using LV:
the solenoid actuates twice as does mirror up. This is normal for a DSLR in LV mode because it is a DSLR and not a mirrorless body.
The mirror has to go up because in LV-Mode you see on the LCD what the sensor sees! And thus the mirror would be in its way, it has to go up.

Last edited by photogem; 08-17-2020 at 03:14 AM.
08-16-2020, 03:52 PM   #11
Forum Member

Honestly... I don't find live view to be slow at all.

At least for me, the live view speed compares favorably to my MILCs: Sony a6300, and my Olympus E-M10's (II and III). For me it depends on the lens; my primes focus fairly quickly, while it hunts a bit more with zoom lenses. The one zoom I own that focuses nearly as quick as the primes is the Sigma 17-50 f2.8, constant aperture. It's a bit heavy, but I don't mind.
08-17-2020, 03:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
The entry level Pentax cameras also use the mirror motor to step down the lens aperture when a shot is taken.
No, the mirror motor has nothing to do with stepping down the lens aperture. This is done by:
QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
A solenoid (infamous from K30/K50 aperture block failures) is used to stop the lens completely closing down as the mirror cycles. .
This complex mechanims is synchronised, both .... mirror-up motor and solenoid ... work together, but it is the solenoid and its mechanical mechanism combined with an optical sensor and its mechanism which step down the lens aperture.
The mirror-up motor sits on the same board as the solenoid, the socalled diaphragm-control-block but both work independant.