Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2018, 06:03 PM - 6 Likes   #1

K-70 First Use

My K-70 body was received in late December, with planned first real use the first week in January during a family trip on the North Shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota. Today was the first day the high temp reached above 0 degrees F. First day of use was near the Canadian border at 24 degrees below 0 F., without windchill factor. Though the K-70 was kept under my outer layer when hiking, it was out frequently. The K-70 performed flawlessly, faring much better than my fingers.

I used my DA 15mm almost exclusively mainly because it was too darn cold to switch to my DA 40mm! Seriously, I would have likely switched minimally anyway as the subject matter was scenery, usually frozen waterfalls and ice formations along Lake Superior.

The purpose of this post is to thank all on this forum that answered my many questions and provided pertinent opinions leading up to the purchase of my K-70 and 2 lenses.

I wish everyone a great 2018!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
01-06-2018, 06:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a sister who works in Superior but lives in Ely. The Northern shore of Superior is a part of the state I have never visited, even when I lived in St.Cloud. Nice shots and welcome to the forums!
01-06-2018, 08:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice work! Question: How was the battery performance? I have been a little underwhelmed when taking the K-70 out in the cold. Also, SSGGeezer, you have to take a trip that way when you get the chance. The north shore highway from Duluth has waterfalls all the way up to the Canadian border.
01-06-2018, 09:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Looks good! Thanks for posting. Glad to hear the K-70 performed that well in such cold weather.

01-14-2018, 10:56 PM   #5
whafrog

QuoteOriginally posted by NoCo Pentaxian Quote
Nice work! Question: How was the battery performance? I have been a little underwhelmed when taking the K-70 out in the cold. Also, SSGGeezer, you have to take a trip that way when you get the chance. The north shore highway from Duluth has waterfalls all the way up to the Canadian border.
I've had my K-70 out in -30C several times now. In -20C it lasts a good 2-3 hours under fairly constant use. At -30C it's more like 1.5 hours before I need to swap batteries. I have a couple extra batteries (one from a defunct K-30, and one 3rd party) so I've never been completely out of juice on a day outing.
01-15-2018, 06:53 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NoCo Pentaxian Quote
I kept the camera in my coat when hiking for any distance to get to frozen waterfalls, so the camera was never external around my neck, in a fanny or backpack. So I cannot truely say the batteries were overly challenged by the cold temps. ...my fingertips were when shooting however.

I looks like whafrog has a better opinion on the cold affect on battery duration.
01-20-2018, 06:48 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Circle Tour

Nice shots! As a Canadian travelling to Ft.McMurray in Alberta I have taken the US route on a couple of occasions on the south side of Lake Superior, crossing the border @ Sault Ste Marie, MI, following the Lake Loop route through Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnestota. Beautiful scenery! Some day I would love to follow the entire loop full circle! Lake Superior Circle Tour - adventures around the worlds largest lake

01-20-2018, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
"Superior Circle Tour". My goal as well.