Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2018, 12:36 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Trouble with Interval Shooting/Multiple Exposures

I'm having some trouble with the Interval Shooting modes (both interval and star stream).

When I set the number of exposures and start the process in interval mode, it takes one photo and then stops. I then have to press the shutter button again so on and so forth. Is there a way for the camera to automatically cycle the shutter through the entire interval without my having to constantly depress the shutter?

In star stream and the other modes in that same set, it only takes a small number of pictures out of the whole set. Say I set the number of exposures at 200. The camera will only take 26 or so pictures out of that total 200. I've checked and I have enough space on my SD card (64Gb) even for RAWs. I'm not sure why it only records a small fraction of the total number of exposures it was supposed to take. Can anyone help me out here?

01-27-2018, 01:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I'm having some trouble with the Interval Shooting modes (both interval and star stream).

When I set the number of exposures and start the process in interval mode, it takes one photo and then stops. I then have to press the shutter button again so on and so forth. Is there a way for the camera to automatically cycle the shutter through the entire interval without my having to constantly depress the shutter?

In star stream and the other modes in that same set, it only takes a small number of pictures out of the whole set. Say I set the number of exposures at 200. The camera will only take 26 or so pictures out of that total 200. I've checked and I have enough space on my SD card (64Gb) even for RAWs. I'm not sure why it only records a small fraction of the total number of exposures it was supposed to take. Can anyone help me out here?
You haven"t said what shutter speed and interval time you are using.

01-27-2018, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

You have to set the interval to the same time as your shutter speed plus some extra on top for processing and writing to the buffer. For example when I do an interval for a startrail picture I set the shutter speed to 30 seconds and the interval to 33 seconds. It takes some trying to find out what works. When I tried this for the fist time I set the interval to 31 and then 32 seconds. But because that still wasn’t enough and the camera only took every second frame I then set it to 33 which finally works as it’s supposed to.

In a very recent thread I finally found the reason for this. The camera actually exposes for 32 seconds when the shutter is set to 30 seconds.
Actual shutter speeds versus "standard" values - PentaxForums.com
01-27-2018, 06:54 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote

Stupid thing I did once: Have you checked if you are actually in interval rather than multiple exposure mode?

01-27-2018, 09:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your camera may not be completing the entire 200 exposures because of battery power. Time exposures usually take quite a bit of power since the camera is always "active". Make sure you're starting with a full battery and check your battery power meter if your camera quits. It may show the battery is low.

Also, if you have a K-1, there may be a chance that you have noise reduction turned on. If that is the case, the camera will take two shots for a time exposure. I did that once, and the camera would take a 30 second exposure and then time another (30s). I thought the camera was locking up after taking the first and was turning it off and back on to get it to work until I discovered that at the end of about 60 seconds the time exposure actually completes and the camera is ready for another.
01-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
You haven"t said what shutter speed and interval time you are using.
20 secs-30 secs and 2 seconds.

QuoteOriginally posted by alpheios Quote
You have to set the interval to the same time as your shutter speed plus some extra on top for processing and writing to the buffer. For example when I do an interval for a startrail picture I set the shutter speed to 30 seconds and the interval to 33 seconds. It takes some trying to find out what works. When I tried this for the fist time I set the interval to 31 and then 32 seconds. But because that still wasn’t enough and the camera only took every second frame I then set it to 33 which finally works as it’s supposed to.
Thanks I'll try that.