Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-31-2018, 12:06 PM   #1

Whew, almost bricked a new K-70 on a firmware update

Whew, had a scary bit today. I just bought a brand new K-70 from a major online photo retailer as a "replacement" (well add on) to my K-x. It came with firmware 1.00, and I saw that there was 1.11 on the website. So I wanted to update it. Followed the instructions, had a fully charged battery, etc. It did the update and said Complete on the screen. Then, still following the instructions, I turned off, took the card out and turned it back on to verify the new version number and...NOTHING. Blank screen, no shutter/AF action. Just the power ring and a the SD access light flashing. Nothing else. Tried taking the battery out, tried using the Menu button on power on to see if it would load the FW again, nothing. Took the battery out and went for a walk. Came back, put battery back in and....WHEW, turned on! Shows the updated firmware version.
So I have no idea what happened...but I followed the directions, charged (and new) battery, new SD card, etc.

That was a scary hour...the whole walk I was stewing about how I'd have to pack it up, ship it back, wait for another...and hoping no hassles with my dealer.

So if this happens to you when updating a K-70, take the battery out and let it sit for a while. That's assuming you have the "Complete" message like I did. (If not, then you probably had a different problem).

03-31-2018, 12:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello and welcome!,
A very nice camera you have there and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Firmware updates can be scary, some folks won't do it unless absolutely necessary but I have found it to be OK. You had little to lose with a new camera but even so, I think that should not have happened but you trouble shot it through so all is good
Did you get a lens as well? they can be useful.
The lens clubs here can addictive, you have been warned!.
03-31-2018, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You said you took the card out but did you close the card door in before turning the camera on?

Your frightening symptoms sound like how the camera behaves if the SD card door is not shut.
03-31-2018, 12:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
You said you took the card out but did you close the card door in before turning the camera on?

Your frightening symptoms sound like how the camera behaves if the SD card door is not shut.
I’ve done that

03-31-2018, 01:12 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Hello and welcome!,
Did you get a lens as well? they can be useful.
I bought the kit with 18-135/3.5-5.6. I have a number of lenses from my K-x, including a 14mm/2.8 that I use for astroscapes. I'm debating on the O-GPS1 for the K-70 still.

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote

Hmm...good question! I don't know! I just tried it with the door open and blank screen. Closed the door, works fine. Now I see the little tiny plunger. I wish they mentioned that in the firmware instructions!! I just tested my K-x and it works even with the door open.

THANKS!