Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2018, 09:25 AM   #16

I also notice flucfuation of battery levels on my K-70. If I rember correctly, after long shooting bursts the battery levels tend go low and sometimes (rarely) the camera shuts down. After that the indicator may show half full battery.

04-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tigs Quote
I also notice flucfuation of battery levels on my K-70. If I rember correctly, after long shooting bursts the battery levels tend go low and sometimes (rarely) the camera shuts down. After that the indicator may show half full battery.
this sounds like normal battery function to me, high use will deplete the battery but it will recover somewhat after some time, determining if you battery function is below normal may be a little difficult to determine, probably the easiest method would be to compare the performance against another battery, it's a good thing to have a second battery
04-11-2018, 01:11 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
this sounds like normal battery function to me, high use will deplete the battery but it will recover somewhat after some time, determining if you battery function is below normal may be a little difficult to determine, probably the easiest method would be to compare the performance against another battery, it's a good thing to have a second battery
Based on my experience, the word "normal" doesnt come to mind.
However I think that on my third-party backup battery the effect is worse. I would have to test the batteries side by side to arrive to a more reliable conclusion.
My friend uses a k-50 with the same batteries and doesnt suffer from the same problems (at least as much).
04-11-2018, 06:32 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tigs Quote
Based on my experience, the word "normal" doesnt come to mind.
However I think that on my third-party backup battery the effect is worse. I would have to test the batteries side by side to arrive to a more reliable conclusion.
My friend uses a k-50 with the same batteries and doesnt suffer from the same problems (at least as much).
the K70 is a different camera to K50, different electronics I believe. Faster / Better can mean higher peak currents for similar operations. Perhaps "normal" was the wrong choice of word, maybe "not all that unusual" would be more appropriate. The amount of sag in battery voltage depends on the state of charge and general condition of the battery, as a battery ages its internal resistance becomes greater which means greater internal losses and more terminal voltage sag under load. The same can be said about batteries of lesser quality. The most valid comparison would be with a battery from the same manufacturing source known to be good (or new). Alternately you could try your battery in another K70 for comparison if you think the camera is at fault.
cheers

05-30-2018, 01:36 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I’m sorry I haven’t written until now.
I got the flu and completely forgot I made this topic.
----------
After reading all of your comments I noticed what I had previously said isn’t the case.

After second inspection the charge indicator only drastically changed when live view, flash, brightness settings were altered or when auto focusing, and it only seems to happen once the battery is “half full”.

So I believe MarkJerling’s initial post best fits and there’s nothing wrong with the camera or my OEM battery.

Thanks everyone for your help.
05-30-2018, 05:03 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for the feedback.