Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF with K-70

Is anyone having the same AF issues with the K-70 that have been reported with the KP??

Pentax KP AF issue - PentaxForums.com

I'm thinking the two cameras should have the same AF module.

06-06-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm thinking the two cameras should have the same AF module.
Nope, the K-70 still has the old 11-point SAFOX X system from the K-5 II, while the KP has SAFOX 11 from the K-3 II. Tried and tested!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-70 uses the same SAFOX X AF engine as the older K-5II and K-S2, while the KP has SAFOX 11.

Looking at that thread, I'm not entirely sure the KP is suffering from any AF issues. The most obvious explanation for the behaviour described is a combination of high contrast background with lines or geometric shapes, and a center AF area that's larger than the user realises (it's much bigger than the little AF confirmation square).

As I'm sure you're aware, AF isn't fool-proof. You have to provide it with a suitable target to get a high chance of accurate focus. Every DSLR I've owned and still own is capable of being confused by certain targets, and you learn to recognise those and look for alternatives...
06-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The thread you are referencing appears to be behind the viewfinder. My KP has no issues if there is any contrast at all. The OP in that thread was very defensive and was not actually reading what was suggested for improving his autofocus results. Very skilled folks (not me,) tried to help him understand. Read the thread carefully and you will see, too little information on initial settings and what appeared to be anger at a poorly understood comment.

06-06-2018, 10:54 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you @Adam, @BigMackCam, @SSGGeezer for correcting my misunderstanding. I keep hearing that build quality is the primary reason for selecting the KP over the K-70, but apparently AF module is another issue to be considered.
06-06-2018, 12:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For me, the only real negative of the K-70 is the limited battery life and no availability of a battery pack. There are always going to be those days when you forget to pack the extra battery.
06-06-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
For me, the only real negative of the K-70 is the limited battery life and no availability of a battery pack. There are always going to be those days when you forget to pack the extra battery.
Does it go through batteries faster than its predecessors - K-30, K50, K-S2??

06-06-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you @Adam, @BigMackCam, @SSGGeezer for correcting my misunderstanding. I keep hearing that build quality is the primary reason for selecting the KP over the K-70, but apparently AF module is another issue to be considered.
As a K-70 owner, I keep wondering why people mention build quality as a K-70 downside. The K-70 is built like a tank, I’ve tried to hold other camera brands in the same price range, if you aks me, the K-70 is in a league of it’s own.
Btw. I have two batteries, my daughter has two batteries for her K-S2 as well.
06-06-2018, 01:43 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
As a K-70 owner, I keep wondering why people mention build quality as a K-70 downside. The K-70 is built like a tank, I’ve tried to hold other camera brands in the same price range, if you aks me, the K-70 is in a league of it’s own.
Btw. I have two batteries, my daughter has two batteries for her K-S2 as well.
As a K-30 owner, I'm just a little suspicious of the aperture control on the K-70. I believe this control most likely dates back to the Super Program I purchased in 1983 - and that camera is working just fine - but the K-30 has an issue with the control that most likely has to do with the parts provider used for the K-30 / K-50. People keep assuring me that the K-70 doesn't have that variant of that part, but it will be hard for me to ever completely trust it again.

In addition, the KP does have a strong metal chassis under the plastic, just as the K-7, K-5,K-3, K-1 do, so the K-70 is weaker than the KP by comparison.
06-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

As a K-70 owner, I keep wondering why people mention build quality as a K-70 downside. The K-70 is built like a tank, I’ve tried to hold other camera brands in the same price range, if you ask me, the K-70 is in a league of it’s own.
I agree, and so does the K-70 review here on PF - "Beneath the polycarbonate exterior, the K-70 has a sturdy metal frame. The camera has no noticeable flex in everyday use, and there’s no detectable creaking or groaning from any of the body panels". Consider also that polycarbonate is a very tough impact-resistant plastic used to make, among many things, crash helmets, safety goggles and even cockpit canopies for supersonic fighter aircraft.
06-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

As a K-30 owner, I'm just a little suspicious of the aperture control on the K-70. I believe this control most likely dates back to the Super Program I purchased in 1983 - and that camera is working just fine - but the K-30 has an issue with the control that most likely has to do with the parts provider used for the K-30 / K-50. People keep assuring me that the K-70 doesn't have that variant of that part, but it will be hard for me to ever completely trust it again.

In addition, the KP does have a strong metal chassis under the plastic, just as the K-7, K-5,K-3, K-1 do, so the K-70 is weaker than the KP by comparison.
The K-70 was released for sale almost two years ago (June 8th.), mine has a shutter count of almost 12.000 (since December 24th. 2016). I don’t know the failure statistics of the cameras with the aperture problem, but the fact that there are no reports of aperture failure on the K-70 tells me it has been fixed (in line with what is being said).
I don’t know if you have tried to hold a K-70? I can’t tell whether it’s plastic or metal, and it doesn’t matter to me - it’s still built like a tank
06-06-2018, 05:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The K-70 was released for sale almost two years ago (June 8th.), mine has a shutter count of almost 12.000 (since December 24th. 2016). I don’t know the failure statistics of the cameras with the aperture problem, but the fact that there are no reports of aperture failure on the K-70 tells me it has been fixed (in line with what is being said).
I don’t know if you have tried to hold a K-70? I can’t tell whether it’s plastic or metal, and it doesn’t matter to me - it’s still built like a tank
My initial purchase of a Pentax would have been a K-70 if I could have found a deal but I found a deal on a K-50 and put over 16K clicks on it in 9 months, It was fine but the way the KP feels is a bit different, and not just the size. I will admit I get annoyed when my drive mode goes to multi-exposure when I let it hang loose around my neck with a large lens and battery grip mounted. (Inertia can be very unkind when it presses important buttons!) But results count also and I love what my KP gives me. And I haven't even tried shooting pixel shift images yet.
06-06-2018, 08:27 PM   #13

Im not happy with af using live view. I use the screen constantly for extending my composition. Tried many settings. No prob with viewfinder. The swappable screen is an overlooked benefit. I am guessing split prism not available due to the af? Topic is swaying but do people like the K70 finish? I dont mind it but seems abradable. My trusty plastic fantastic p30t may be dated looking but it refuses to wear out. (im a metallurgy guy not polymers).
08-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just bought the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm/f2.4AL at Adorama and yesterday it arrived. It takes really nice photos, but the only problem I had was that when I pressed the K-70 shutter release half way to initiate the auto focus, nothing happened. I read the instruction sheet that came with the lens where it said I could use the AF button to trigger auto focus. Huh? Back to the manual and there it was. The AF button does in fact trigger auto focus, but I still don't understand why the shutter release doesn't. I have never updated the firmware so it is still original from the factory. I also just tried my Sigma 17-70 and the shutter release is not triggering auto focus on it either. That's new. It always had in the past. Any ideas? Is there a setting that I may have inadvertently changed w/o realizing it?
08-10-2018, 11:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruzer Quote
I just bought the SMC Pentax-DA 35mm/f2.4AL at Adorama and yesterday it arrived. It takes really nice photos, but the only problem I had was that when I pressed the K-70 shutter release half way to initiate the auto focus, nothing happened. I read the instruction sheet that came with the lens where it said I could use the AF button to trigger auto focus. Huh? Back to the manual and there it was. The AF button does in fact trigger auto focus, but I still don't understand why the shutter release doesn't. I have never updated the firmware so it is still original from the factory. I also just tried my Sigma 17-70 and the shutter release is not triggering auto focus on it either. That's new. It always had in the past. Any ideas? Is there a setting that I may have inadvertently changed w/o realizing it?
“Back button focus”
Have you somehow changed the AF/AE-L button setting to “Enable AF2”? Then the camera will only focus by using the AF button.
It’s menu 5 “Customizing the Button”.