Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2018, 01:27 PM   #1

Needed advice for cleaning

My k70 has dust on the top side of the focus screen... Is there an easy way to clean it?

08-03-2018, 03:58 PM   #2

Original Poster
Anyone?
08-03-2018, 04:00 PM   #3

If it's bad enough to impede taking pictures, you can very likely follow the various YouTube videos on how to remove/replace the focusing screen of the K30/50 predecessors, and see if that looks like the interior of your K70.
08-03-2018, 05:54 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you already tried using a manual air blower?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-03-2018, 06:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I cleaned mine with a soft brush. Huge mistake. Left visible black scratches. Use a blower or forget about it.
08-03-2018, 09:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

First, I'll try a blower blub.

If that does not work, then I use an expensive sensor cleaning brush. Before using it I hit the bristles with canned air. This charges them and helps them to pick up and trap loose particles on the focus screen.
08-04-2018, 01:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you. So the trick was to remove the screen, which i managed but then damaged the surface... still working but will need new one.

08-08-2018, 11:32 PM   #8

My K-70, which I just purchased in June of this year, has dust on the sensor, unfortunately. I first noticed a fuzzy line in the same spot on many photos and then discovered it was lens independent and got worse with smaller aperture. Finally tonight I did some testing and then cleaned with a small blower. The fuzzy is gone, but now I have dust specks all over (again, same spot on every photo)I have dust shake enabled with each turn on, so I turned camera on and off multiple times, too - no good. I just ordered a large rocket blower per advice from other posts. We will see if that works, but what are next steps if not? Will cleaning beyond just using blower void warranty? Dry or wet clean?

I don't think the K-70 has the "dust mapping" feature that some other Pentax units have?
08-09-2018, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bought my K-70 January 1st. I change lenses a lot. Rarely out in the field though. But trust me. My house and vehicle are far from being a dust free environment. I have dust removal enabled at start up. I've needed to use a rocket blower on the sensor three times. As of yet have not needed to resort to any more drastic measures. I do use the rocket blower on the lens every time before attaching to camera. Also have rear cap on lens loosened and orange dot facing me to ensure a quick switch. These small precautions have so far worked for me.
08-09-2018, 10:50 PM   #10

Thanks, I'm really hoping the rocket blower does the trick. I'm going to be more cautious in the future regarding lens changes.
09-11-2018, 08:34 PM   #11

I bought a K70 in May and have just noticed what I am guessing are dust spots on the sensor ( it does it with both my lenses' ) showing up in the top left corner. It is most noticeable when that area of the photo is sky. I also have dust removal enabled at start up but it has not solved the problem. I have rarely changed lenses so far and have always done so in an inside environment so am a little disappointed that I would be dealing with dust on the sensor already with this camera. I have a generic bulb blower but have not tried it yet. Is the rocket blower better? I do not want to make things worse as described by daveo76.
Thank you.
01-28-2019, 07:49 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

The sensor cleaning mode bought me another couple of weeks then the dust stuck on again.

I have a Koh Global Hepa Jet, it filters the air so it can't blow dust back into the camera.
I've cleaned my sensor and mirror twice so far without having to touch it with anything.
11-20-2019, 02:44 AM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tigs Quote
My k70 has dust on the top side of the focus screen... Is there an easy way to clean it?
I bought a Pentax K70 to replace my stolen K500. Both units when new showed small specs/smears on the censors. Ultimately I decided that they were in fact manufacturers oil smears, minuscule as they were. I exposed the censors on each occasion and stroked ever so gently with a previously well examined earbud on the surface of the censor that I had to ask myself whether I had touched at all. I was lucky, it worked both times.
11-20-2019, 06:39 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
I tried to clean with a vacuum cleaner and rocket blowe together, with little success.Now I always blow the lens frame out before replacing it .No more dust
11-20-2019, 06:58 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by joerotheray Quote
I bought a Pentax K70 to replace my stolen K500. Both units when new showed small specs/smears on the censors. Ultimately I decided that they were in fact manufacturers oil smears, minuscule as they were. I exposed the censors on each occasion and stroked ever so gently with a previously well examined earbud on the surface of the censor that I had to ask myself whether I had touched at all. I was lucky, it worked both times.
I previously dabbed with a clean, dry earbud at dusts to remove them, no stroking on my part. This did a decent enough job but eventually I purchased a VSGO APS-C cleaning kit with the solution at 12 swabs. 2 swabs later and everything is absolutely pristine again*. From what I've heard, the ultrasonic dust cleaning of the K3ii/KP/K-1 etc. is vastly superior to the sensor wobble we K-70's get. Such is life!

*Until the other day where I noticed a dust-spot, light, directed blow with an air blower, whilst holding the camera face-down did the trick nicely. Everything absolutely immaculate again. Would wholeheartedly recommend the VSGO kit if [you] are steady-handed. It's worth mentioning that I'm hugely OCD about these sorts of things. My OH loves when I clean because I'll spend an entire day on it and everything will be truly spotless.

---------- Post added 11-20-19 at 07:00 AM ----------

I'm wondering also whether the OP means dust on the mirror and therefore visible through the viewfinder, or on the viewfinder itself. I assumed the sensor wasn't easily removable, given their statement about removing the screen.