Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2018, 04:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

Strange behaviour from my K-70...aperture block?

I thought my K-70 was toast tonight! Maybe it still is! Took it out of the bag for a few shots of a rainbow and it was displaying all signs of aperture block failure. No amount of resetting or removing battery helped. The photos were all black unless I cranked up exposure and even then still very dark. Yes, I tried a variety of modes and photographing a variety of subjects with varying lighting. Metering, complete garbage. I swapped the lens for an old manual K to do further testing. Photos were fine but I was setting aperture manually. I put the kit lens back on and now everything seems to be working fine again. However, now that I think back I would say that one out of every 20 or 30 photos for the past few months was black or severely underexposed. I chalked it up to poor metering or bad settings but thinking back I think it was probably aperature block failure. Has anyone ever heard of this as being an intermittent issue. Any advice? Not sure what I should do. I think my camera warranty expired just a few days ago!

09-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you bought if from a store, you could try calling them and see what they say about the warranty...maybe they will still honour it?
09-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
If you bought if from a store, you could try calling them and see what they say about the warranty...maybe they will still honour it?
I hope so. I did buy it from local camera store. I doubt I will be able to replicate the issue for them though. Hopefully they take my word.

09-17-2018, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this can be how the aperture block fail symptoms begin with K30 & K50. Its usually the first one or two shots after turn on then things start working, there is a sticky thread on how to test / diagnose. It could also be an unrelated failure of the aperture.

Dark exposure problems on K-30 or K-50? Read me first!

09-18-2018, 02:14 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks. After reading this, unfortunately it seems my K-70 aperture motor is failing.

The first few shots are dark, then it wakes up. Same settings. It must be headed to permanent failure soon. Wow, this is very disappointing. I've owned this camera for exactly one year. I love it, but I expected much better reliability. Will let you know how it goes with warranty.

09-18-2018, 07:12 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by drumhead Quote
Thanks. After reading this, unfortunately it seems my K-70 aperture motor is failing.

The first few shots are dark, then it wakes up. Same settings. It must be headed to permanent failure soon. Wow, this is very disappointing. I've owned this camera for exactly one year. I love it, but I expected much better reliability. Will let you know how it goes with warranty.
this will be very disappointing if this is the case, there hasn't been any widespread reporting of this issue with K70 as far as I know, so maybe an isolated incident, this doesn't help you I know. It will be interesting to see how you get on with warranty, best of luck.
09-18-2018, 08:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

That is not good. Hopefully this is just an isolated incident. There's this temporary fix that you can do when the camera has that issue. But yeah, if you can get it fixed or replaced, even better.

09-18-2018, 05:32 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Update: I got up this morning and tried camera with kit zoom. I took a dozen photos, all very dark/black. Plenty of light, iso cranked. I swapped for manual lens and left for work. I took ~100 photos in the field. Worked great. This evening I tried the kit zoom again and the camera seems to be working fine. Safe to say the aperature motor failure is intermittent, if that is what is going on.

Good news is that I purchased the camera on Sept. 27, 2017 so it is still under warranty. I'm taking it to the local camera shop where I bought it tomorrow. Will let you know what they say.

09-18-2018, 05:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best of luck at the camera shop tomorrow. I certainly hope this is an isolated issue with your K-70, and not the dreaded ABF rearing its ugly head again!
09-18-2018, 07:12 PM   #10
Forum Member

omg....another thread k70 aperture motor failing

i just bought one 5 months ago, made me worry, man!
09-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
The camera has been sent for repairs. The guy at the store figured it was indeed aperture block failure. Although he was quite familiar with the issue, this was the first K-70 he has had to send in for repair.

Also, I learned today Pentax camera warranty is 2 years here in Canada. Repair only has 6 month warranty.

09-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #12
Pentaxian

^ Hopefully this is a random isolated case. It would be pretty bad if Ricoh decided to keep using that same faulty "green" solenoid on a 5th generation camera since the K-30, K-50, K-S1, & K-S2. We'll see in the next few months if Ricoh made the right or wrong move inside the K-70.
09-30-2018, 11:42 AM   #13

Just saw this thread and wanted to join to reply. Bought my K70 Sept 17, 2017 and have take around 3400 photos. Mine failed last week. Looks like aperture block failure as well, but mine went all at once and never intermittently came and went. Very disappointing.
10-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
^ Hopefully this is a random isolated case. It would be pretty bad if Ricoh decided to keep using that same faulty "green" solenoid on a 5th generation camera since the K-30, K-50, K-S1, & K-S2. We'll see in the next few months if Ricoh made the right or wrong move inside the K-70.
If this is the case I wouldn't say "pretty bad" I would say "very bad", the K-70 came out 4 years after the K-30.
10-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tangent88 Quote
If this is the case I wouldn't say "pretty bad" I would say "very bad", the K-70 came out 4 years after the K-30.
Has anyone taken a K-70 apart and actually looked at the mechanism?
That is the only way to be certain it is the same mechanism.