Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2018, 07:33 AM   #1

Remote Capture, Mirror Lock, Shake Reduction for K70

Hello all! Purchased a K70 last November and so far I'm loving it. It's my first DSLR and I'm still learning all the time. I have a few questions however.

1. I don't own a remote shutter release. I've just been using the image sync app on my phone which has been great however it looks like it only works with single drive which means no mirror lock up. If I were to purchase a cable shutter release would I be able to unlock this ability. What benefits would I get with the shutter accessory vs the app?

2. With mirror lock on the K70, is there a way to use this drive mode in conjunction with a self timed? If so that would solve my problem in my first question but I cant figure it out on the K70. It seems like it's one or the other (mirror lock or timer).

3. Do you guys keep the shake reduction turned on with your K70s? I have heard that it's better to turn off sometimes if your shooting astrophotography or using a tripod. Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this. Same goes for noise reduction. I noticed this is on by default. What are the best times to use these features or should I leave them on by default?

If anyone has any other tips or settings they recommend tweaking feel free to chime in, thanks!

10-24-2018, 08:11 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Josbor11 Quote
1. I don't own a remote shutter release. I've just been using the image sync app on my phone which has been great however it looks like it only works with single drive which means no mirror lock up. If I were to purchase a cable shutter release would I be able to unlock this ability. What benefits would I get with the shutter accessory vs the app?

The cable is nothing more than a shutter release button (but yes, unlike Image Sync, it will work in any drive mode). You can also go for the IR remote, which is what I'd recommend for astro work.

2. With mirror lock on the K70, is there a way to use this drive mode in conjunction with a self timed? If so that would solve my problem in my first question but I cant figure it out on the K70. It seems like it's one or the other (mirror lock or timer).
The 2s self timer setting accomplishes this.

3. Do you guys keep the shake reduction turned on with your K70s? I have heard that it's better to turn off sometimes if your shooting astrophotography or using a tripod. Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this. Same goes for noise reduction. I noticed this is on by default. What are the best times to use these features or should I leave them on by default?
Always turn off SR when on a tripod. If you use the setting above, it will automatically be turned off for you.

As for JPEG noise reduction, I usually turn it off because PP software can do better (and if you're shooting in RAW, editing that would be better still). The one exception is slow shutter speed noise reduction, which is advisable IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-24-2018, 12:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The 2s self timer setting accomplishes this.
So you can use mirror lock up and a two second self timer at the same time? Is this a hidden setting somewhere? I know how to turn them on individually but I dont see an option to use them in conjunction with each other.

Always turn off SR when on a tripod. If you use the setting above, it will automatically be turned off for you.
Which setting turns it off, mirror lock?

As for JPEG noise reduction, I usually turn it off because PP software can do better (and if you're shooting in RAW, editing that would be better still). The one exception is slow shutter speed noise reduction, which is advisable IMO.
So the K70 noise reduction setting only applys when shooting in JPEG?
10-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

So you can use mirror lock up and a two second self timer at the same time? Is this a hidden setting somewhere? I know how to turn them on individually but I dont see an option to use them in conjunction with each other.
They are always used in conjunction when you select the 2s self timer option (the mirror goes up right away, then the shutter fires 2 seconds later).

So the K70 noise reduction setting only applys when shooting in JPEG?
Yes, with the exception of slow shutter speed noise reduction, which performs dark frame subtraction before saving the image data.

Which setting turns it off, mirror lock?
That, as well as the self timer drive mode.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
They are always used in conjunction when you select the 2s self timer option (the mirror goes up right away, then the shutter fires 2 seconds later).
Good to know, had no idea! Does this also happen with 12 second self timer or just 2 second?

Also why is the IR remote better than cable for astrophotography? Thank you for all your responses. You've been very helpful. I feel like I have much to learn and experiment with. I haven't even tried using pixel shift or HDR yet and I'm still trying to get better at taking star photos (I did pickup the astrotracer).
10-24-2018, 03:01 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Good to know, had no idea! Does this also happen with 12 second self timer or just 2 second?
I think it's just the 2s. As for the IR solution, it's nice because you never have to touch the camera, or worry about where the cable is hanging when it's dark.

Adam