Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2018, 04:29 AM   #1
Closed Account

SD card errors

Has anyone else experienced any card errors?

My K-70, which I bought about a month ago, is experiencing card errors. "no card in camera" and another error message about creating folder., even though the card is in the camera.

I have tried formatting the card in-camera, format in computer as well as tried other cards as well.

All of these cards worked without issue in my K-50.

I was thinking of downgrading the firmware from 1.11 to 1.10 to see if that helps?

Maybe a factory reset?

10-30-2018, 05:54 AM   #2

If you don't have data on the cards format them with SD Formatter using the Full/Overwrite option. This will format the cards to factory specifications. Make sure to properly eject the card from you PC or Mac.

SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association

Formatting cards on a PC/Mac using the OS is not recommended.

If the camera is having problems reading cards it would seem kind of risky to attempt loading firmware from a card.

Try blowing out the card slots with a lens blower.

Last edited by Not a Number; 10-30-2018 at 06:00 AM.
10-30-2018, 07:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35wailin Quote
Does this mean you've been using the same cards for some time? If so, it might just be time for some new ones. First check that the contacts are nice and clean though as that might be all it is.
10-30-2018, 05:48 PM   #4
Closed Account

Original Poster
Yes, some of them I have been using for up to 3 years without issue in my K-50. When I use them in my K-70, I get errors.

One of the cards is brand new, used for the first time in my K-70 and formatted in camera before first use.

As an electronics tech, I suspect either the contact pins in camera or the card door switch is not making proper contact to indicate there is a card in the camera.

I dont believe it is the cards themselves as they worked fine in the older camera.

10-30-2018, 08:38 PM   #5

Do you have any other card working in your k70 at all? Just try to isolate whether it is card or body problem.

Last edited by protocold; 10-30-2018 at 08:39 PM. Reason: clarify my question
10-30-2018, 09:31 PM   #6

Yes, some of them I have been using for up to 3 years without issue in my K-50. When I use them in my K-70, I get errors.

One of the cards is brand new, used for the first time in my K-70 and formatted in camera before first use.

As an electronics tech, I suspect either the contact pins in camera or the card door switch is not making proper contact to indicate there is a card in the camera.

I dont believe it is the cards themselves as they worked fine in the older camera.
Check with the dealer you bought it from, they may replace the camera. If not, it should still be under warranty unless you bought it used.
10-31-2018, 04:20 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone else experienced any card errors?

My K-70, which I bought about a month ago, is experiencing card errors. "no card in camera" and another error message about creating folder., even though the card is in the camera.

I have tried formatting the card in-camera, format in computer as well as tried other cards as well.

I was thinking of downgrading the firmware from 1.11 to 1.10 to see if that helps?

Maybe a factory reset?
Do you still have the K50 and do the cards work in it?

11-01-2018, 04:54 AM   #8
Closed Account

Original Poster
Yes i do, and yes, they do.

This issue is not constant, but intermittant which gets really tough to isolate what is triggering the errors.