Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2019, 02:58 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Something <28. I'd go with a 12-24 myself as it nearly meets the 28-105 at the high end and its a very versatile lens for the APS-C camera. Even a CHEAP 18-55 gives you a MUCH wider perspective on the camera than your 28-105.

02-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brofessor Quote
How does K70s autofocus compare to K-x, especially in low light? I have been frustrated by K-x auto focus.
I woke a few hrs early for work this morning and took a few shots and was very impressed with the outcome. I would say the K-70 (on my 3rd day now) is at least twice as good. The extra color and light sensitivity I was impressed with.
02-05-2019, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VILLAINofOZ Quote
I should also mention that I eventually want to get a set of decent 35mm/50mm/70mm primes or similar.
Given your slight confusion with the 28-105, I'd respectfully suggest you think carefully about what you need those primes for. If you know that 35, 50 and 70mm lenses will provide the fields of view you're looking for, that's great. Otherwise, it might be wise to consider what you want to shoot, and whether these focal lengths are the best choice. On APS-C, a 35mm lens will be more-or-less "normal". 50mm will be a short tele-photo (great for portraits with a fairly natural look, for example), whilst 70mm will be a slightly longer tele-photo (in that same portrait scenario, you'd need to be stepping back from your subject, and you'll get a slightly flatter look as a result).

What I don't see in your primes list is any wide angle capability - such as the DA21 or DA15...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-05-2019 at 05:20 PM.
02-05-2019, 05:19 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I bought my DFA 28-105 at a good price...
Impressive list of lenses in your sig sir. I am humbled.

02-05-2019, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Impressive list of lenses in your sig sir. I am humbled.
Eventually, as you get older and financially more secure, these things come into reach, especially if you have a gem of a wife. Since I neither drink nor smoke, or spend money on much else, she is content to let me follow my photography passion as I like, provided I don't take pictures of her.
02-05-2019, 06:24 PM   #21

When I travel with my K-5, I usually take my DA 10-17 or my DA 21 for wide-angle. The 10-17 is great for shots inside churches or for wide street scenes. My walk-around lens is either the 18-135 or 16-85; the 18-135 is a little lighter and more compact.
02-06-2019, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #22
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
From a fellow Victorian, congrats on the K-70!

Too many options.... Nahh... I really do want more lenses to replace the old glass.I wish this was easy.
I think it's hard because you are trying to go in a lot of directions at once. Time to pause and think generally about the kit you would like to have and how to build it from here, on a budget.

Some nice lenses amongst your old ones, but most of them are really average consumer lenses that aren't going to fetch much.

As everyone has pointed out, your kit is lacking at the wide end. I would agree with the comments above that a 16-xx, 17-xx or 18-xx zoom provides a much more useful walkaround range on an APS-C camera. There are many options amongst these zooms from the constant f2.8 ones like the Pentax DA*16-50 or Tamron 17-50 to variable aperture but wider-ranging zooms like the Sigma 17-70, Pentax DA 16-85 or DA 18-135. The DFA 28-105 is really the full-frame counterpart of one of those variable-aperture lenses. Most of us would really miss the wider end in a walkaround zoom on APS-C.

Let's break down your moves from here.

The first question is, do you want to keep the 28-105 as your walkaround zoom? Your answers so far are yes. If so, I'd suggest you follow the suggestion of @docrwm and get a Pentax DA 12-24. And be prepared for a lot of lens changes. If you are open to re-thinking that, get an affordable APS-C walkaround zoom like the Tamron 17-50 or Sigma 17-70 or Pentax DA 18-135, even secondhand, and have an easier time in your travels.

The second question is, are you really looking to full frame in the foreseeable future? If so, you should be trying to fill out your kit with full-frame compatible lenses as far as possible. You should study carefully the threads and articles about full-frame compatibility. It's not obvious. Some lenses that you might think would be OK on FF, like the DA 70 Ltd, aren't, but some you wouldn't think are (like the DA 12-24 at the longer end of its range). So, for example, you might be better to get the FA 77 Ltd rather than the DA 70 Ltd. And the DA 12-24 rather than the DA 15 and 21 Ltd. The DA*300 is FF compatible so that's a good target. But on FF 300mm might not give you enough reach for birds and other wildlife, so you might need to think about a DFA 150-450 instead, or about keeping an APS-C body like the K-70 for telephoto use.

The third question is, what are the priorities for your budget? I'd say get your main zoom(s) sorted first, then worry about more specialty lenses later.

Finally, the prices you mention above are for new lenses. Don't pay $750 for an FA 43 Ltd; I got mine for around $400. Don't pay $450 for a DFA 50 f2.8 Macro; I got my FA 50 f2.8 macro (same optical formula) for less than $150. Be patient and shop around. If you must buy new, only buy when DCXpert or Pentax Aust has a 15% or 20% off sale. (DCXpert does now.) Gumtree is hit and miss but there is still the occasional bargain. The PF marketplace is a better starting point. Even lenses in excellent condition shouldn't fetch more than around 75% of their new price. So keep tabs on the best new prices as an idea. The sold items list here is useful too for assessing current market prices.

02-06-2019, 05:24 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I really appreciate everyone's advice. I have read and re-read the posts above and I think I agree with everyone. I do need a wider lens.
I am now strongly considering just waiting a few weeks and getting a DA* 16-50 and probably 10-17 fisheye or HD DA 20-40 before going overseas.
02-06-2019, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #24

You have an interesting collection of lenses. I agree that you may like to have a wider lens. I like the 18-135 lens, but often end up using a 16-45 as I like the wider end. I have also learned that I get very tired carry around a lot lenses when touring. I know try to just try to have either one the of two lenses listed above and the 55-300 WR from Pentax. It is not the new PLM version, while I have a K-3, My son has a K-50 and my wife a K-500, which the PLM version will not work. The older I get, the more I like to simplify what I have and especially what I carry.
02-06-2019, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

When touring a wider lens is often unexpectedly useful. I've seen so many with standard zooms at sites trying to back up and being frustrated with the lack of width in the perspective their lens offers. For visiting museums there is no substitute on an APS-C camera for something <16mm - period. I enjoyed my 10-24 for years and now have a 12-24 which offers sharper images and better corners but have been able to navigate many locations with my DA15 prime just fine. However, even 18mm has been too narrow on APS-C in the confines of many locations like museums or with large objects that do not allow zooming with your feet. Good luck with your choices.
02-06-2019, 10:15 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

So i got my K-70 yesterday and with the reading up, the accessory searching and comparing etc.. I decided to spend my money on lenses for the new beast.
Help me decide please... I intend on travelling to Europe for 3 weeks in June this year. Travel lens tips also appreciated.
Grab this lens off Ebay and thank me later. You will.

It's sharp as heck, a fast constant F2.8 good AF, smooth bokeh...
I used it for a portrait shoot this past weekend with very good results, and it makes a great walkaround in big EU cities where you'll often need the wider width. You don't often find Sigma 17-50 DC HSM's at this price and it won't last long IMO.
Sigma DC 17-50mm f/2.8 HSM EX DC Lens For PENTAX/RICOH 85126583613 | eBay
02-06-2019, 11:20 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Grab this lens off Ebay and thank me later. You will.

It's sharp as heck, a fast constant F2.8 good AF, smooth bokeh...
I used it for a portrait shoot this past weekend with very good results, and it makes a great walkaround in big EU cities where you'll often need the wider width. You don't often find Sigma 17-50 DC HSM's at this price and it won't last long IMO.
Sigma DC 17-50mm f/2.8 HSM EX DC Lens For PENTAX/RICOH 85126583613 | eBay
Yeah, that price is ridiculously good for that lens. The only downside is the size.
02-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brofessor Quote
Yeah, that price is ridiculously good for that lens. The only downside is the size.
It's not heavy, and TBH I hadn't noticed the size as an issue on my own K70. But yes it is just a tad larger than a DA35 (Way MORE than a tad)... You can't hide it very easily
02-06-2019, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #29
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I am now strongly considering just waiting a few weeks and getting a DA* 16-50 and probably 10-17 fisheye or HD DA 20-40 before going overseas.
I've got the 20-40 and it's a lovely lens. But I got it as a kind of prime-substitute to complement my 18-135. If you get the DA*16-50 (or another such f2.8 lens like the Tamron or Sigma 17-50) you won't need the 20-40 as well. On the other hand, if you go for the 20-40 instead of the 16-50, you will need to take a wide lens as well. If you rely on the fisheye as your wide angle, you will spend a lot of time de-fishing in post processing. The DA 12-24 or DA 15 Ltd would be a better choice for the wide option IMO. On a Europe trip you will probably use wide focal lengths a lot.

Last edited by Des; 02-06-2019 at 01:49 PM.
02-06-2019, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
provided I don't take pictures of her.
Skin smoothing in PP is a wonderful thing. I wouldn't let Tess even look at a picture before making her look 16 again.

You gotta be sneaky.
If I don't she looks at me with fire in her eyes and yells "What kind of photographer are you? You can make me look better than that."

"I like the way you look." Doesn't even come close to a viable defence.

---------- Post added 02-06-19 at 03:54 PM ----------

I really appreciate everyone's advice. I have read and re-read the posts above and I think I agree with everyone. I do need a wider lens.
See if you can find a used Sigma 8-16 (or even a new one if available.) It's rectilinear, and keeps all those architectural lines straight.

Sigma_8-16 Slideshow by Norm_Head | Photobucket

Last edited by normhead; 02-06-2019 at 01:58 PM.