Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #1

Handgrip

Hi, I love my K-70, the photo quality is superb compared to my old Nikon D3300 and I love pretty much everything else... but, I have large(fat) hands and I can no longer use my old hand grip/strap as it's too tight to actually reach a lot of the controls. I removed the strap and it's a nice grip on the camera, but it's too small. My fingers are hanging of the bottom of the camera. I had the same problem with my Nikon but I bought a third party cheap battery holder for the bottom of the camera to give me a much better hold on the camera. Now, I know there aren't any battery grips to fit the K-70, but has anybody else managed to solve this?

Any ideas will be gratefully received. I don't want to have to get rid of the camera because it's awkward for me to hold and doesn't feel secure anymore.

Cheers

03-06-2019, 01:51 PM   #2

I don't think there's much you can do other than buy a bigger camera, or one with a battery grip.

What handstrap did you use? Perhaps a different one would feel more comfortable without being too tight.

I use the Peak Design Clutch, which is comfortable and easy to adjust, and though I don't have particularly large or small hands, I'm finding that there is plenty of slack to adjust tightness in either direction.
03-06-2019, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is an aftermarket grip that fits onto the tripod sock. It has a shutter trigger with a socket to accept wires to go into the camera's cable-release port. I don't whether that you suit your needs any better, but if you want I look I'll try to hunt it down on B&H.
03-06-2019, 02:17 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StarTroop Quote
I don't think there's much you can do other than buy a bigger camera, or one with a battery grip.

What handstrap did you use? Perhaps a different one would feel more comfortable without being too tight.

I use the Peak Design Clutch, which is comfortable and easy to adjust, and though I don't have particularly large or small hands, I'm finding that there is plenty of slack to adjust tightness in either direction.
I use the same Peak design clutch. It worked fine on my Nikon, but I just cannot get it to feel right on the K-70. I've even contemplated getting some exotic hardwood and carving/machining a base.

03-06-2019, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BrasBasdun Quote
Hi, I love my K-70, the photo quality is superb compared to my old Nikon D3300 and I love pretty much everything else... but, I have large(fat) hands and I can no longer use my old hand grip/strap as it's too tight to actually reach a lot of the controls. I removed the strap and it's a nice grip on the camera, but it's too small. My fingers are hanging of the bottom of the camera. I had the same problem with my Nikon but I bought a third party cheap battery holder for the bottom of the camera to give me a much better hold on the camera. Now, I know there aren't any battery grips to fit the K-70, but has anybody else managed to solve this?

Any ideas will be gratefully received. I don't want to have to get rid of the camera because it's awkward for me to hold and doesn't feel secure anymore.

Cheers
There is a thread on here where a member 3D printed a grip for his camera.

Here it is; I made a grip for my K-3 - PentaxForums.com
03-07-2019, 01:15 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote

And IIRC, somewhere on the forum, someone adapted a Nikon 3000-series grip to fit a K-30 - which is roughly the same size/shape as the K-70.

Thus, can someone track that thread down, as it may give some clues as to how do something similar for a K-70?
03-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
And IIRC, somewhere on the forum, someone adapted a Nikon 3000-series grip to fit a K-30 - which is roughly the same size/shape as the K-70.

Thus, can someone track that thread down, as it may give some clues as to how do something similar for a K-70?
That would be cool! I've tried finding it, but no luck.

03-07-2019, 05:05 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote

That was really cool, I'd love a 3d printer.
03-08-2019, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

That would be cool! I've tried finding it, but no luck.
Here is the thread in question, 6 pages but the photos in the early posts now missing.
Battery Grip Pentax K30 - PentaxForums.com

Seems I was wrong about using a Nikon 3000 series grip, but many other ideas are given.

BTW: just compared the base plates of my K-30 and K-70, and they are very similar (but not identical) - the critical part being that the tripod bushes appear to be in the same positions, and thus something that fits onto a K-30 would probably have a chance of fitting onto a K-70
03-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #10

I use the same Peak design clutch. It worked fine on my Nikon, but I just cannot get it to feel right on the K-70. I've even contemplated getting some exotic hardwood and carving/machining a base.
Ah, I see. It could be that the position of the strap lug causes the strap to sit an an awkward angle. I had this issue with the KP, where it was even more prominent because of the strap lug sits quite far back, and the shutter release button is on the top plate rather than on the grip. I found that you can adjust the angle of the strap by rotating the quick release plate in 45 degrees increments, or moving the strap connection to a different lug on the plate.

Maybe this is already to much of a compromise to be helpful for you, but in my configuration, my strap is sort of tilted back, so my hand can firmly grasp the grip and reach the top controls, and my pinky rests on the plastic buckle of the strap. It's not the tightest feeling, but it is secure without being restrictive.
03-26-2019, 12:57 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
There is an aftermarket grip that fits onto the tripod sock. It has a shutter trigger with a socket to accept wires to go into the camera's cable-release port. I don't whether that you suit your needs any better, but if you want I look I'll try to hunt it down on B&H.
I don't have any trouble holding it in landscape orientation, but it would be nice to have something like that for portrait orientation shots.
03-26-2019, 03:21 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentax360 Quote
I don't have any trouble holding it in landscape orientation, but it would be nice to have something like that for portrait orientation shots.

Go to B&H and search for either "Vello B-800" or "Vellow trigger grip." Under $20, worth a look if it might be of use.