Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 48 Likes Search this Thread
09-16-2022, 05:52 AM   #76

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

are new K-70 free from this solenoid problem in 2022? Thanks

09-16-2022, 07:26 AM - 2 Likes   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe that new K-70 cameras will be free of the ABF issue. I have a 2021 built unit and no issues.
09-16-2022, 09:16 PM - 2 Likes   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by petaling Quote
are new K-70 free from this solenoid problem in 2022? Thanks
Yes, they are!

From 2021 onwards the 3-rd generation China-Solenoid was used:
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com
09-17-2022, 05:36 AM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Yes, they are!

From 2021 onwards the 3-rd generation China-Solenoid was used:
A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com
I read the little bit of History treatise to the extent I can understand it. Thankyou.

I have a circa 1989 Pentax SF7autofocus film camera (? AKA SF10 in some parts of the world/USA) that are sometimes only worth locally $10-20 on facebook marketplace. Would it have the white solenoid in it so I can keep it as spare? I dont think I am handy enough but maybe can give it to a repair shop as spare parts.
Also there is this guy in Japan selling a few 7-9 shutter counts K-S2, as mint used cameras for $300, would this be similar to your German dealer selling "repaired solenoid "demonstrators story?

Thanks

09-17-2022, 09:22 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by petaling Quote
I read the little bit of History treatise to the extent I can understand it. Thankyou.

I have a circa 1989 Pentax SF7autofocus film camera (? AKA SF10 in some parts of the world/USA) that are sometimes only worth locally $10-20 on facebook marketplace. Would it have the white solenoid in it so I can keep it as spare? I don't think I am handy enough but maybe can give it to a repair shop as spare parts.
Also there is this guy in Japan selling a few 7-9 shutter counts K-S2, as mint used cameras for $300
You only can use DSLR solenoids as spares. The difference is made clear in the mentioned history-thread.
Almost unused Pentax bodies such as the mentioned K-S2 in Japan have been stored for a long time (since 2015/2016).
They even have a higher risk of ABF because of not having been used for a long time, this is when ABF occurs most often.
I would rather buy a K-S2 with ABF and then repair it or have it repaired.
And yet, $ 300 isn't expensive at all, so maybe worth taking the risk
12-01-2022, 12:23 PM   #81

We have another step / modification to the solenoid used by Ricoh/Pentax in the K-70 and official repairs!

Maybe Pye located a direct source from China, I tried my best to find any but no success, only/exclusively the fake solenoids for Lenovo.

My K-S1 is with John Pye for repair right now (second occurence of this failure, first was four years ago). I asked their support people about the solenoid as I wanted to know which version they use. The response was "Ricoh only supplies us with one version of the part in question".
12-02-2022, 12:23 AM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clothears Quote
My K-S1 is with John Pye for repair right now (second occurence of this failure, first was four years ago). I asked their support people about the solenoid as I wanted to know which version they use. The response was "Ricoh only supplies us with one version of the part in question".
Remember, this is the K-70 section, your post actually belongs into the K-S1/K-S2 section.

But your answer is interesting and of value:
It shows that those responsible at John Pye don't even know of the three different generations of the China-Solenoid but luckily Ricoh UK supplies them with the 3-rd generation solenoid!

Of course from a different viewpoint one can understand them:
They sell many different brands and thus repair many different brands.
They just repair as they are told to do ... here by Ricoh.
And Ricoh won't tell them that they had used a "bad solenoid" over many years!

It is exactly how it is with car-garages: They usually just repair "as they are told to do".
Household appliances, Audio-equipment....you name it....
Hopefully others do the same.

10-11-2023, 09:55 AM   #83

Photos: Albums
We have another step / modification to the solenoid used by Ricoh/Pentax in the K-70 and official repairs!

Recently I had done some research concerning the cheap "fake Pentax solenoids" offered on ebay, which actually had been made for Lenovo DVD-ROMs. I had ordered a few of them and noticed that they have an even stronger holding force, I noticed that their magnet is longer.

A member from UK had purchased from John Pye Techical Services, UK an orig. Ricoh solenoid for repairing his K-S1. It turned out this solenoid is different again so I ordered one as well to compare it to the different China-made solenoids I know about.

It turned out that Ricoh had modified the solenoid again, last time it was the alloy, this time it is the size of the magnet which is shorter now
and thus had less holding force.

Here a photo of three original Ricoh Pentax solenoids + the fake one constructed for Lenovo DVD-ROMs:

Now the holding force is pretty similar to the white made in Japan DSLR-Solenoid!
Even a tiny bit less. So I strongly believe Ricoh has done it very right this time, the solenoid actuates very nice.

So few failures which the K-70 sometimes had should now be history, same for any repair done at an official repairshop!
In UK the solenoid is very cheap, US$ 14,40 (£9 plus 20%VAT), actually cheaper than the Lenovo-fake!
I pay more than double (US$ 34,49) but yet, it is cheap enough. Maybe Pye located a direct source from China, I tried my best to find any but no success, only/exclusivly the fake solenoids for Lenovo.

I still think the white made in Japan DSLR solenoid is the best, but this one is very close.

Time will show but I see it very positive.

Hi all!
I spent a long time and thoughtfully reading the information on the aperture solenoid for almost a week. Thanks to everyone who wrote. Everything is very useful and informative.
If it is not possible to install a “white” solenoid, then you need to install solenoid 2nd. Modifications. Did I understand correctly?
It's just that I can't find it anywhere.
There's just one problem - I can't find it anywhere his. If someone can provide a link, I will be very grateful.
And the second question.
Is it possible to remove the magnet from solenoid 1.st Modifications and just sharpen it a little on an abrasive wheel?
10-11-2023, 05:11 PM - 1 Like   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmen Quote

Hi all!
I spent a long time and thoughtfully reading the information on the aperture solenoid for almost a week. Thanks to everyone who wrote. Everything is very useful and informative.
If it is not possible to install a “white” solenoid, then you need to install solenoid 2nd. Modifications. Did I understand correctly?
It's just that I can't find it anywhere.
There's just one problem - I can't find it anywhere his. If someone can provide a link, I will be very grateful.
And the second question.
Is it possible to remove the magnet from solenoid 1.st Modifications and just sharpen it a little on an abrasive wheel?
Why you shouldn't file/sand the China solenoid + Avoid Lenovo Solenoids - PentaxForums.com
Source for the white solenoid:
DSLR Pentax bodies with solenoid - PentaxForums.com
or ebay:
Pentax K-30 K-50 K-70 K-S1/S2 K-500 Genuine White Solenoid Part - Japan - | eBay
or you find somebody in UK to help you out:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/459805-true-china-s...k-england.html

If you cannot find either a Ricoh solenoid generation 3 or a white one, then I recommend to do the sanding/filing.
Better than any other option, I have tried all other possibilities and they failed.
10-12-2023, 02:11 AM   #85

Have I labeled the magnets correctly in the photo?
If correct, how are they attached to the stationary solenoid body (welding, glue, varnish, or by the force of the magnet itself).
Is it possible to remove the magnet from this slot and reduce it by grinding with an abrasive wheel?
10-12-2023, 03:19 AM - 2 Likes   #86
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, rare earth magnets can't be ground as they oxidize badly if the plating is removed.
10-12-2023, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
No, rare earth magnets can't be ground as they oxidize badly if the plating is removed.
They even crumble to some kind of dust, which means you have very bad residues in your Pentax.
10-12-2023, 11:44 AM   #88

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
But you can grind it off and cover this place with varnish.

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem:
They even crumble to some kind of dust, which means you have very bad residues in your Pentax.
But I'm not going to grind it so hard that sawdust gets into my Pentax. Or what bad leftovers are you talking about?
The question remains open - how is the magnet attached to the stationary solenoid body (welding, glue, varnish, or by the force of the magnet itself), or does it move freely along the gap?

I found one seller of solenoids. I think it complies with 1.st Modifications. Did I identify correctly?

But in another photo, from the same seller, the magnets are located in different places. One magnet is located closer to the coil, and the other, on the contrary, is further away. Do they move freely along the slot?
10-12-2023, 02:01 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
But you can grind it off and cover this place with varnish.
No, just alone the grinding does already do damage.
Just buy a smaller magnet, then it is fine.

But I'm not going to grind it so hard that sawdust gets into my Pentax. Or what bad leftovers are you talking about?
The magnet itself will crumble

The question remains open - how is the magnet attached to the stationary solenoid body (welding, glue, varnish, or by the force of the magnet itself), or does it move freely along the gap?
No, this question was already adressed.
It does neither move freely but stays fixed but its position is not important.

I found one seller of solenoids. I think it complies with 1.st Modifications. Did I identify correctly?
Instead of searching for the wrong things, search for the correct things.
Much easier.
10-13-2023, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/322337505674?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357...mis&media=COPY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235243420182?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357...mis&media=COPY