Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If we are talking about how to make an update to the camera better I would improve the AF, add Composition Adjustment and give you more control over the processing of the image.

There should be other things but honestly it is a great bang for the buck camera.

Last edited by bladerunner6; 11-27-2020 at 05:26 AM.
11-27-2020, 02:13 AM   #77

I would say, a good app for photos transfer from K70 to either iOS phone or android phone. In iOS, the app crashes during file transfer. Also wifi file transfer should be speedy, not turtle speed.
11-27-2020, 04:09 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just change the problematic solenoid, thats all that is needed because the K-70 is such a great camera, nothing else really needed.

That problematic part is the one huge single thing stopping me from getting a K-70 as a light weight 2nd body option, for times when just want to grab a small capable cam body and mount a 70-200 or something and just go out snap away.
12-06-2020, 06:27 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just got my K70, so the first improvement on my list is done! For the price, hard to want more... but, here would be my list of nice to haves that wouldn't push it into a higher class and price point:
- dedicated ISO button on top like K3, or let program ISO to Fx2 up there
- rear IR sensor

12-08-2020, 01:35 AM   #80
Veteran Member

1. Electronic Shutter, which I know it can do (PSR, or in video mode - it starts filming without the shutter sound), so it´s just a sofware question in my opinion
12-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #81
Veteran Member

My K-70 will be 3yo December 24th. I fixed the battery lifetime (2nd. post) and I still haven't identified any missing feature/functions on it.
It's a fantastic camera!
12-11-2020, 09:54 PM   #82

Having the camera for 2 weeks, haven't learned all the features yet, but the "manual" mode is bugging me a bit, not having all the options available, as I said, if it's full manual, then be a full manual, including dialing beyond 30 second exposures. The other is better communication. Sometimes the camera goes into complete silence after shooting many shots. I start guessing, because not knowing whether it's processing, if the shutter still open or did it turn off, didi it lock up, did it freeze, or did the battery die. If it's processing the images or doing something, give us a life sign lol! When it's done, let us know, let some light flashing somewhere, like a tiny strobe light with a morse code whether "I'm still working on something" or "I'm done working" , don't let me just stare at it on the tripod and debate whether to touch it or not lol!

12-13-2020, 02:31 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bulbhead Quote
Having the camera for 2 weeks, haven't learned all the features yet, but the "manual" mode is bugging me a bit, not having all the options available, as I said, if it's full manual, then be a full manual, including dialing beyond 30 second exposures. The other is better communication. Sometimes the camera goes into complete silence after shooting many shots. I start guessing, because not knowing whether it's processing, if the shutter still open or did it turn off, didi it lock up, did it freeze, or did the battery die. If it's processing the images or doing something, give us a life sign lol! When it's done, let us know, let some light flashing somewhere, like a tiny strobe light with a morse code whether "I'm still working on something" or "I'm done working" , don't let me just stare at it on the tripod and debate whether to touch it or not lol!
The orange light on the back tells you if it’s saving the buffer - blinking equals saving.
Have you checked the firmware version? 1.11 is the one to use.
12-15-2020, 05:06 AM   #84
Forum Member

Things bothers me on K70:
1. 1 SD card slot, and I occasionally forget to insert SD card.
2. AF performance for complex scenes are inconsistent. A few times it's good, but many times it's not.
3. Dust Removal only works sometimes.
4. I can only perform sensor cleaning with a fully-charged (100% green on the top-right of the LCD) battery. Even a "3/4 green" battery won't work. Why?
5. FPS and buffer can be improved.

My fixes:

1. Give it 512MB internal memory as a backup, or give it another SD card slot.
2. Use KP's AF system, or their newly (well it's not that new) patented "hybrid AF".
3. Use KP's dust removal system
4. Allow mirror-up as long as battery has "enough" power.
5. use a better sensor, enlarge the buffer or improve writing speed to SD card.

For its price (I bought it for $400 two years ago) the camera is good enough for me, and I don't expect it to be sold cheaper than KP if all of these comes true.
12-16-2020, 07:07 PM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mccririck Quote
1. a joystick
2. vertical grip option
I cannot think of how I would improve the K70, but I'd like to see an appropriate and efficient method for tethered shooting, not just for the K70 but for each and every Pentax digital camera. It could be wifi or cable connected, but a method for taking the photo and having it saved to a laptop or tablet. Also saving the images to the memory card as a backup would be nice too.

It can be done, I've seen it and used it with Canon cameras. A company I worked for a few years ago had a program on the computer that allowed saving each image to the memory card and also to a laptop computer, but it worked only for Canon cameras.

Ricoh/Pentax could and should develop a similar program. I have seen one such program for Pentax but it was an independent program with no affiliation to Pentax and it did not permit saving to the memory card nor did it work with all cameras. I also have seen indications of another similar program currently available, but it also does not apply to all Pentax cameras.
12-16-2020, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #86
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by syyrmb Quote
Things bothers me on K70:
1. 1 SD card slot, and I occasionally forget to insert SD card.
After driving 40 minutes to go shooting with no SD card in the camera... !*#!... I've gotten in the habit of always leaving the door open when I take the card out, and haven't ever forgotten since.
12-16-2020, 09:50 PM   #87
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heinamj Quote
After driving 40 minutes to go shooting with no SD card in the camera... !*#!... I've gotten in the habit of always leaving the door open when I take the card out, and haven't ever forgotten since.
Nice trick, I will definitely try it, thanks
12-17-2020, 01:09 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seems that would increase the probability of inadvertently breaking or damaging the door.
12-17-2020, 01:19 PM   #89
Pentaxian

My "simple" approach to this "problem":
- when ready, remove card from cam, put in PC's card reader and copy the pics to the PC
- check the pics on the PC are OK.
- remove card from PC's card reader, reinsert in cam's card slot, close slot door, reformat card

Job done, and ready for the next shooting session!

PS: and always have a spare card (and charged battery!) already there in the photo backpack for whenever needed

Last edited by jeallen01; 12-17-2020 at 01:30 PM.
12-17-2020, 02:22 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
My "simple" approach to this "problem":
- when ready, remove card from cam, put in PC's card reader and copy the pics to the PC
- check the pics on the PC are OK.
- remove card from PC's card reader, reinsert in cam's card slot, close slot door, reformat card

Job done, and ready for the next shooting session!

PS: and always have a spare card (and charged battery!) already there in the photo backpack for whenever needed
Extra fully charged battery and extra memory card are two very important items.