Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #1

Occasional shutter or trigger button bug on K-70 ?

Hello everyone,

I had a small glitch with my K-70 that worries me. A few times the shutter went completely non functional, each time during a photo session on a walk outside.

The symptoms are focus still works both in live view and viewfinder, everything is normal, aperture works, ISO preview , exposure meter also, but impossible to shoot a picture. I tried changing camera mode to anything, including auto and program modes, I also tried manual focus but completely unable to shoot.
Last time it happened I also tried changing AF mode to AFC ( I use AFS usually ).

The only solution to recover the shutter is to do a factory reset and it instantly get back to work. Annoying if it's a bug because I have to re-change all custom settings, and worrying if the shutter is starting to fail already.

It happened 4 times in the 14 months since I bought this camera, and besides that it worked flawlessly. It has around 3200 clicks only.

I opened a ticket to Pentax support, they made me confirm I use the last firmware version, which I do since the day one.
I'm still waiting for them to get back with more info about what to do.

I can't find anyone with a similar issue on any Pentax model o line so I wonder if any of you already had this issue or something similar ?

Thanks

08-19-2019, 02:09 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to check your AF settings to see if you have something set that might cause your shutter button not to operate unless you for example have focus on a subject. If you are in single shot mode and your AF settings are not restricting you, and the shutter button still locks up, it may be something else.
08-19-2019, 02:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
Exactly this, is does the same thing as if it can't confirm focus and refuse to take shot because of this.
Focus works ok in auto and manual mode, it puts the dot in green on viewfinder and green squares in LV.
I'm using AF-S and focus priority, maybe I'll try shot priority next time it happens.
But it is real bug for sure I can even shut down the camera and turn it back on it does not work. Even in a different place or with another battery.
08-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beno Quote
Exactly this, is does the same thing as if it can't confirm focus and refuse to take shot because of this.
Focus works ok in auto and manual mode, it puts the dot in green on viewfinder and green squares in LV.
I'm using AF-S and focus priority, maybe I'll try shot priority next time it happens.
But it is real bug for sure I can even shut down the camera and turn it back on it does not work. Even in a different place or with another battery.
Just a thought... but I think it worth mentioning... Are you depressing the shutter button centrally rather than from the edge? I seem to recall my K-5 was - originally, at least - quite fussy about how I pressed the shutter button. Pressing it around the edge didn't work initially. Later on, presumably as a result of the switch component wearing in, it became much less fussy...

08-19-2019, 09:19 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

But it is real bug for sure I can even shut down the camera and turn it back on it does not work.
If you are enable to release shutter even with the green hexagon displayed or the camera in manual focus mode, you might have a failure of the shutter switch or an electrical connection. If so, then a service visit would be in order while the camera is still under warranty.

Steve
08-20-2019, 02:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
You might want to check your AF settings to see if you have something set that might cause your shutter button not to operate unless you for example have focus on a subject. If you are in single shot mode and your AF settings are not restricting you, and the shutter button still locks up, it may be something else.
Exactly this happened to me yesterday. Missed a shot because it hadn't confirmed focus. At the time was like 'blargghh' but makes perfect sense! Fortunately this has only happened the once since purchasing the camera.
08-20-2019, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Next time this happens, please check the subject is beyond the minimum focus distance of the lens, then switch to MF on the body and take a shot, to check it works.

08-20-2019, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Next time this happens, please check the subject is beyond the minimum focus distance of the lens, then switch to MF on the body and take a shot, to check it works.
I did this already and switching to MF did not change anything, being on focus or not, I was unable to trigger a shot.

I got an answer from Pentax tech support, they just tell me to send back my k-70 for maintenance.
I'm glad the contractor doing Pentax repairs is not far from me I can probably drop it there, and wait for what they can find.

Thanks everyone
08-20-2019, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I did this already and switching to MF did not change anything, being on focus or not, I was unable to trigger a shot.

I got an answer from Pentax tech support, they just tell me to send back my k-70 for maintenance.
I'm glad the contractor doing Pentax repairs is not far from me I can probably drop it there, and wait for what they can find.

Thanks everyone
Good luck! Please let us know how you get on, and the outcome?
08-21-2019, 03:01 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I know you have mentioned that you are having the camera checked out, and you may already know this, but if you are in AF-S mode the focus is going to interpret the first time your first shutter press halfway as your focus on your subject until you let up, and in reference to using focus priority, you may want to try the shutter release-priority setting to avoid missing shot opportunities and having the freedom to release the shutter when you want to. I use AF-C (continuous AF mode) and shutter release priority. This assures me that I constantly have the decision on whether to shoot or not. I have my beep and light focus signals to tell me when AF is in focus. I also use Spot mode (center point) as my AF focus area mode, with the possible exception of when I am shooting landscape in some instances where I may switch to multi-point AF.

If the problem has any pertinence to power consumption, which it may not be, I would recommend the use of Pentax batteries exclusively for shooting.

Good luck. I hope things work out for your camera and your shooting.
09-18-2019, 03:35 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for your answers, as I said the bug occurs no matter the AF mode in use.
I just got back from the tech service company and they refused to take it for inspection under warranty. Pentax support said they cannot take it because the law providing 2 years mandatory warranty covers only hidden defects pre-existing from the factory or design of the device. Something I'll be very unlikely to prove, and would cost me lawyer and expertise costs at first

I guess I can only wait and see if the glitch reappears.
09-18-2019, 11:19 PM   #12

Hello everyone,

I had a small glitch with my K-70 that worries me. A few times the shutter went completely non functional, each time during a photo session on a walk outside.

The symptoms are focus still works both in live view and viewfinder, everything is normal, aperture works, ISO preview , exposure meter also, but impossible to shoot a picture. I tried changing camera mode to anything, including auto and program modes, I also tried manual focus but completely unable to shoot.
Last time it happened I also tried changing AF mode to AFC ( I use AFS usually ).

The only solution to recover the shutter is to do a factory reset and it instantly get back to work. Annoying if it's a bug because I have to re-change all custom settings, and worrying if the shutter is starting to fail already.

It happened 4 times in the 14 months since I bought this camera, and besides that it worked flawlessly. It has around 3200 clicks only.

I opened a ticket to Pentax support, they made me confirm I use the last firmware version, which I do since the day one.
I'm still waiting for them to get back with more info about what to do.

I can't find anyone with a similar issue on any Pentax model o line so I wonder if any of you already had this issue or something similar ?

Thanks
I have the same problem with my K-70 but it started at about 30,000 shuttercount. I can't use it anymore. The shutter sounds like it opens and closes 2 or three times and the focus and exposure goes bad....I just bought a used k-3 instead...I don't know if i will get it fixed or not.