Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2019, 05:21 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
The K-70 ad KP look like two excellent cameras. I didn't realize the K-70 photos where such a huge improvement over the K-3 and now I'm getting the urge to purchase one of them.
This is all about usability and expanding the envelope, not about capability. The K-3 is quite a capable body and delivers stunning results and is of course a much sturdier body than the K-70. It is only at extremes that the K-70 beats it in focusing speed and low noise.

I'm always very careful to not read too much into body upgrades, usually preferring new glass over new bodies. I would f.i. have bought another K-70 if the KP wouldn't have come down to such a ridiculously low price. IQ wise there will not be such a dramatic change.

So, judge carefully whether the extended envelope of the K-70 fills any gaps in your current photography and, if not, stick with the K-3 knowing it too is an awesome camera.

12-25-2019, 07:07 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Say hello again, you'll probably haver the K-70 back once she tries the KP.
12-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Hey, look at that - another young Pentaxian! Always glad to hear there's more of us. @bertwert
Yep, it's cool that there a few younger folks, however if you look at post #4 in the thread you'll see that I've already stopped by
12-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Do not lend out the KP. Ever.

I was thinking about getting a K3 next year. Low light is a thing for me. Reading this thread made me have second thoughts.

12-25-2019, 11:02 AM   #20

Aw, you needed to upgrade anyways
12-25-2019, 11:44 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote

I was thinking about getting a K3 next year. Low light is a thing for me. Reading this thread made me have second thoughts.
If you want really good low light, go with the K70/KP/K1. The nice thing is it saves on having to buy superexpensive, superheavy, low f-stop glass for many applications. (Hint: The 55-300mm PLM requires good high ISO performance in darker environments like where I live, but the K-70 delivers it.)

Re. K-3 vs. K-70 that is more of a choice between feature set and construction levels vs. low light performance.
12-25-2019, 01:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcpropilot Quote
The K-70 ad KP look like two excellent cameras. I didn't realize the K-70 photos where such a huge improvement over the K-3 and now I'm getting the urge to purchase one of them.
It's just the high ISO that you'll see it. Lower ISO you won't see a difference.

If low light is a big thing for your usage, definitely consider KP. They are getting very affordable too

12-25-2019, 03:58 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are a good Dad
12-28-2019, 09:41 PM   #24

Photos: Albums

I looked for one before Buying the K70 but none to be had New.
12-29-2019, 03:33 PM   #25

I had a k3 ended up having to sell it after only a year of owning, cuz life crap. Anyway I bought a k70 the following spring, the noise difference between the two is remarkable. Looking to upgrade to a k1/k1ii this spring, but Im keeping the k70!