Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2020, 06:53 PM   #1

L-Bracket for K-70

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello everyone,

I would like some information on possible L-brackets for the K-70.

04-12-2020, 12:31 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deskslave1031 Quote
Hello everyone,

When you write "L-bracket" do you mean the side mount for a flashgun?
I'm still using a generic (non hot-shoe) item I bought in the '70's ... these days I use it in conjunction with a clone Pentax-compatible flash extension lead. Not "perfect", but a lot cheaper than any OEM or "custom" item and perfectly serviceable
04-12-2020, 04:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
When you write "L-bracket" do you mean the side mount for a flashgun?
I'm still using a generic (non hot-shoe) item I bought in the '70's ... these days I use it in conjunction with a clone Pentax-compatible flash extension lead. Not "perfect", but a lot cheaper than any OEM or "custom" item and perfectly serviceable
I think the poster is taking about the tripod mount type L-bracket. The one that screws into the 1/4"-20 screw socket on the bottom of the camera.

To the OP, essentially, none exist specific to the K-70. There are universal L-brackets but none I've seen specifically designed for the K-70. When I had a K-70, I had deigned one and I think it's still up on my Shapeways store but I never made one in metal. I ended up moving on from the K-70 to a K-3II so I stopped developing my L-bracket design.
04-12-2020, 04:09 AM   #4

As far as I know there are no Pentax specific L-brackets so like most people you'll have to make to with a universal L-bracket.

You can buy generic ones on Ebay, made in China. They might be ok, but in my experience they are not well crafted and fit poorly into the arca swiss clamp.

I think the 3 Legged Thing QR11-LC is the cheapest (quality) universal one.

3 Legged Thing QR11-LC Universal L-Bracket (Orange) QR11-LC B&H

Fits K-5 well and no issues with arca swiss clamps. However it does cover the battery door.

04-12-2020, 05:21 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by krazny Quote
As far as I know there are no Pentax specific L-brackets so like most people you'll have to make to with a universal L-bracket.
I wanted an L-bracket for my K-70 with Manfrotto RC2 quick release plates. Manfrotto sells a universal L-bracket with RC2 plates, but the bottom arm would cover the battery door, and I was not about to spend $140 for the Manfrotto bracket and saw it down. I built my own DIY Pentax K-70 Quick Release L-Bracket but not everyone has access to a machine shop. To duplicate mine at the very least you would need a way to bend the 1/4" aluminum stock to a 90 degree angle. Note that I built mine so that the side arm would not block the mic and shutter release jack.
04-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On my K70 I just use a cheap universal L-bracket. Works just fine for me. However, it does block the battery door. Like this one that's sold under many different names.

amazon.com : Universal MPU-105 Quick Release L Plate Bracket for Canon Nikon DSLR Camera : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Last edited by DWS1; 04-12-2020 at 11:04 AM.
04-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
On my K70 I just use a cheap universal L-bracket. Works just fine for me. However, it does block the battery door. Like this one that's sold under many different names.

amazon.com : Universal MPU-105 Quick Release L Plate Bracket for Canon Nikon DSLR Camera : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&
I don't have the K-70 myself but I guess dimension wise the MPU-105 is very similar to the QR11-LC.

Are you able to open the mic slot while using the MPU-105?

On the flagships (K-5 to K-3 II) the Mic port is on the top of the side so with a universal one the bracket blocks the port. However on the the K-70 and Kp the mic port is lower on the side so with an open bracket you should be able to access the port. Can you confirm this?

04-12-2020, 05:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by krazny Quote
I don't have the K-70 myself but I guess dimension wise the MPU-105 is very similar to the QR11-LC.

Are you able to open the mic slot while using the MPU-105?

On the flagships (K-5 to K-3 II) the Mic port is on the top of the side so with a universal one the bracket blocks the port. However on the the K-70 and Kp the mic port is lower on the side so with an open bracket you should be able to access the port. Can you confirm this?
Yes I can open the mic/remote port. I don't use the port for a mic but use it for a wired remote just fine. If mounting the camera in the vertical position, you have to open the rubber flap and connect the mic/remote with a right angle plug before mounting the camera on a tripod. There is enough clearance in the ARCA Swiss system for the right angle plug and cable.
04-13-2020, 04:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deskslave1031 Quote
Hello everyone,

I have and old Vivitar that has interchange bases...35mm or square for medium format...also a cable release...you see then on eBay for $20-$30 and they are well made. I've had mine for 30+ years. Recently I got a Seigelite bracket...it's well made and the arm extends up like 20+ inches...it also came with a small square umbrella...pretty nice quality....Stroboframe also makes good pro-quality brackets.

04-20-2020, 03:15 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I've been looking for a bracket for some time now. The problem with nearly all brackets is that they don't allow for twisting the screen such as on the K-70. This is the only one I found that allows for this, albeit more expensive than most: PLX3T Universal L-Bracket L-Plate for Cameras with Articulating LCD screens
04-20-2020, 06:38 AM   #11

Almost any L-bracket, including mine, will allow the screen to be rotated 180 degrees while it is at right angles to the camera body, allowing it to be set back into the body for normal live viewing.
04-21-2020, 04:54 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dale H. Cook Quote
Almost any L-bracket, including mine, will allow the screen to be rotated 180 degrees while it is at right angles to the camera body, allowing it to be set back into the body for normal live viewing.
Perhaps I'm missing something, but I fail to see how you can swivel/rotate the screen 180º with the side part of the bracket next to the camera body?? I've just tried to simulate the action (as I haven't got a bracket yet) and the rotation of the screen will hit the bracket.
04-21-2020, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
.. I fail to see how you can swivel/rotate the screen 180º with the side part of the bracket next to the camera body?
You swing the screen 90 degrees from the body, rotate it 180 degrees, and swing it back 90 degrees so it is again flush with the body. If the L-bracket side arm isn't so wide that it projects backwards farther than the screen hinges it is easy. My DIY bracket is designed to clear the screen hinges, and the side arm stands far enough off the body to keep the remote shutter/mic jack available.
06-30-2020, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #14

I am a little late to the game but FWIW I have one of these on my k-70 and it works like a champ. LCD pivots, mic door easily accessable, battery door opens fully, excellent fit on a Benro Arca Swiss clamp and best of all CHEAP.

L SSape Bracket Universal Quick Release Plate For Nikon Canon Sony Pentax Sj | eBay
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E-M5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
E-M5  Photo 
11-01-2020, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobSpain Quote
I've been looking for a bracket for some time now. The problem with nearly all brackets is that they don't allow for twisting the screen such as on the K-70. This is the only one I found that allows for this, albeit more expensive than most: PLX3T Universal L-Bracket L-Plate for Cameras with Articulating LCD screens
I've now bought an L-bracket for my K-70. It's not perfect as I have to extend the bracket away from the camera in order to use the tilt screen. It works better for portrait shots. Also, as it's a short bracket I can easily access the battery compartment. But given the price, it's a reasonable compromise: MENGS MPU-100 1/4'' Universal Quick Release Plate L Material de aleación de Aluminio para la DSLR cámara Compatible Arca Swiss: Amazon.es: Electrónica