Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2020, 05:47 PM   #1

WiFi connection

I am almost afraid to ask this here, because of all the bad reviews of the Ricoh Imaging app. I have tried connection to both my Pixel 3 running Android 10 and my Galaxy Tab S2 running Android 7. In both cases, it starts to make the connection, the wireless icon on the camera goes from grey to white for a second or two, then back to grey and eventually times out without establishing the connection. The phone or tablet asks me to check password (which I have done several times by looking on the camera menu). My phone/tablet can see the camera wireless but it cannot connect. I have read the instructions over and over, including on-line with the latest version of the app. Is there some secret to this? Is it possible to use this app? Is there some permission I need to grant on my phone?

Without the app the wireless in the camera is useless, but it was one reason I chose this model for transfer of images directly to my Google Pixel and for remote control of the camera.

07-21-2020, 05:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've not had any issues with it, but I have just installed the latest version so will need to re-test. I'll get back to you later tonight.
07-21-2020, 06:16 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Before i even go into the app I turn the camera wifi on and then connect my phone to the wifi. After they connect i open the app. Stopped having problems on my ks-2 after i started connecting this way.
07-21-2020, 06:17 PM   #4

Original Poster
Eureka! I finally got it, posting here to hopefully help other people. Here is the answer.
1. With my Galaxy Pad, I had to first make it forget my home WiFi password. With the app CLOSED I simply connected to the camera using my normal WiFi connection in the Galaxy Pad. It finally connected and gave me the message that it was connected with no internet. No problem, I wasn't trying to have internet. Then I openned the Ricoh app. and connected there, by AGAIN entering the password. It worked!

2. With my Google Pixel phone, I had to not only make it forget my home WiFi network, but ALSO to disable my wireless data on the phone. Same as the Galaxy Pad, I first turned on WiFi and did a normal connection to the camera. It connected with a message "no internet". Then I openned the Ricoh app and selected the K-70, entered the password again, and tapped connect. It worked!

What a piss-poor job that Ricoh has done with their instructions, not explaining any of this. Only by trial and error I finally got it before I was ready to send the phone back.

Hope this helps someone else who is new like me.

07-21-2020, 08:27 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Selvadero Quote
Eureka! I finally got it, posting here to hopefully help other people. Here is the answer.
1. With my Galaxy Pad, I had to first make it forget my home WiFi password. With the app CLOSED I simply connected to the camera using my normal WiFi connection in the Galaxy Pad. It finally connected and gave me the message that it was connected with no internet. No problem, I wasn't trying to have internet. Then I openned the Ricoh app. and connected there, by AGAIN entering the password. It worked!

2. With my Google Pixel phone, I had to not only make it forget my home WiFi network, but ALSO to disable my wireless data on the phone. Same as the Galaxy Pad, I first turned on WiFi and did a normal connection to the camera. It connected with a message "no internet". Then I openned the Ricoh app and selected the K-70, entered the password again, and tapped connect. It worked!

What a piss-poor job that Ricoh has done with their instructions, not explaining any of this. Only by trial and error I finally got it before I was ready to send the phone back.

Hope this helps someone else who is new like me.
I've answered this several times before on the forum, Selverado, it's not right what you're saying.

The issue is your phone, not the app!

Your Google Pixel is making a decision to not use WiFi.

When it detects that a router that can't get to the Internet (and that's what the camera is, a WiFi hotspot), it's breaking the connection and switching over to your cellular data to get back on the Internet.

So you have to find that function on your particular phone (Samsung used to call it 'Smart Switching' or 'Smart Networks' or something) and disable it, *or* be blunt and just turn off Mobile Data while you're shooting.

Last edited by clackers; 07-22-2020 at 03:49 PM.
07-22-2020, 05:14 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I've answered this several times before on the forum, Selverado, it's not right what you're saying.

The issue is your phone, not the app!

Your Google Pixel is making a decision to not use WiFi.

When it detects that a router that can't get to the Internet (and that's what the camera is, a WiFi hotspot), it's breaking the connection and switching over to your cellular data to get back on the Internet.

So you have to find that function on your particular phone (Samsung used to call it 'Smart Switching' or 'Smart Networks' or something) and disable it, *or* be blunt and just turn off Mobile Data while you're shooting.
It did the same thing to my Galaxy Tab S2 that was only running Android 7. I had to "forget" my home router WiFi SSID before it would let me connect to the Pentax WiFi. I have previously used a Panasonic camera with WiFi and used their app on my Galaxy Tab and also on my smartphone with no problem like that. What I don't understand about the Pentax app is why the instructions tell you to first open the app and then enter the password in the app instead of simply connecting directly to the camera WiFi SSID from the phone or tablet. That is the way the Panasonic app works. Why should I have to enter the camera's password twice - once in the phone/tablet network connections, then again in the app after selecting the K-70? I am guessing they set it up that way for their camera models that support direct connection by NFC reader/writer where you simply place the phone next to the camera to connect. The K-70 does not have NFC.

Now that I have it connected for the first time, there is no problem at all in connecting again and again without having to change anything on my phone or on my Galaxy Tab. It was only for the first time connecting that I was having a problem.
07-22-2020, 06:28 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It did the same thing to my Galaxy Tab S2 that was only running Android 7. I had to "forget" my home router WiFi SSID before it would let me connect to the Pentax WiFi.
Again, what does your S2 tablet do when it has two valid Wifi hotspots in range? You need to go to your device's network settings and favour the camera one, not your home router.

I've had to do that with my laptop for instance, because I use a third-party tethering program - 'WiFi Commander for Pentax'.

These are issues with your client. The camera is a very straightforward hotspot, it hands out by DHCP a new IP address to clients that stay connected to it, that's it.

Why should I have to enter the camera's password twice - once in the phone/tablet network connections, then again in the app after selecting the K-70?
So, I haven't had to do that with my Galaxy S10 for my K-1, K-S2 or GR II on my home wifi.

07-24-2020, 05:04 AM   #8

Original Poster
Okay, this is getting crazy. Once I got the camera to connect to my Pixel 3 smartphone and to my Galaxy Tab S2 for the first time, I have had no further problems. I did not do anything to change settings on the phone or the Galaxy Tab - no changes to prefer one router over the other or anything else. Once I got it set up the first time by first entering the password in my phone Network setting, and then entering it again in the app., it is no longer a problem. It now connects immediately and dependably as soon as turn on the WiFi in the camera, open the app, and click on the K-70 model in the app. I do not have to enter the password again in either place.

My complaint with the app is only that the instructions do not adequately explain how to make that initial connection. It does not explain that you have to first get the password saved in your phone or tablet's network connection before you open the app and try to connect.

Now that I have it working, I am quite happy with the app. It transfers photos to my phone or tablet as quickly as can be expected for large files transferring by WiFi. The camera controls are really good, not only allowing a shutter release but also permitting remote settings of the camera. It even seemingly provides a touch screen for the focusing point on the phone screen that you do not have in live view on the camera - or at least it seems to change the focus point when you touch the phone screen. I have not fully tested to see if it is really changing the focus point in the camera.