Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
08-06-2020, 04:36 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
They did it exactly with KP J Limited edition.
If you add the D-BG7 grip it's already 5 combinations available.
I'm fairly certain that if they sold the J Limited grip separately (not even in glossy wood, just in the same vein as the other 3 grips, call it XL) a bunch of people would be interested in shelling out some cash for it.

08-06-2020, 04:55 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I'm fairly certain that if they sold the J Limited grip separately (not even in glossy wood, just in the same vein as the other 3 grips, call it XL) a bunch of people would be interested in shelling out some cash for it.
Assuming price is reasonnable, I would definitely buy this J grip
08-06-2020, 06:49 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Yep, but even hopes for an extension of the selling area for KPJL have faded away.
12-17-2020, 10:18 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Should I buy K760 Today?

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter_JDH Quote
I see a number of retailers in Canada are listing both the K-70 and KP as discontinued - unavailable for order. With the new flagship coming, I get why the KP might be discontinued, so I wonder if there has been mention of a refresh to the ‘double digit‘ model line? I also see the DA 18-135 lens listed as discontinued in places. Maybe a new PLM version in the offing? Or is that just hopeful thinking? In any event, it is encouraging to see new Pentax products appearing alongside close out product such that retailers seem committed to supporting the brand going forward.
Hi all, I'm new here, but have been a Pentax user for about 40 years.

I have the K10, and have not been doing much photography lately, but want to get back into it. I have some great lenses still. Is it worth buying a new K70 today, or should I wait a few months to see if they are coming out with a new camera body? Seems like the K70 has been around a long time. I would hate to invest money in old technology just to help them reduce inventories, and see a newer camera come out soon with more/better features.

Thanks for any feedback!

12-17-2020, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Considering how long the K-3iii has taken to go from rumor to where it is now (not even released) I think you’ll be waiting a while for the K-70 replacement. I’m loving my new K-70.
12-17-2020, 12:30 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New K70 Protection Plan?

QuoteOriginally posted by Lhorn Quote
Considering how long the K-3iii has taken to go from rumor to where it is now (not even released) I think you’ll be waiting a while for the K-70 replacement. I’m loving my new K-70.

That's why I'm leaning towards buying now. Thinking of buying from B&H. Is it worth getting their "Square Trade Protection Plan"?
12-17-2020, 05:15 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 87Duckfan Quote
Hi all, I'm new here, but have been a Pentax user for about 40 years.

I have the K10, and have not been doing much photography lately, but want to get back into it. I have some great lenses still. Is it worth buying a new K70 today, or should I wait a few months to see if they are coming out with a new camera body? Seems like the K70 has been around a long time. I would hate to invest money in old technology just to help them reduce inventories, and see a newer camera come out soon with more/better features.

Thanks for any feedback!
You will find a lot of disagreement amongst members here about the K-70.
Pentax did change design of the aperture-control unit, but it is still solenoid-controlled, and is still getting at least some complaints.
Personally, I paid a couple hundred extra bucks and purchased a KP, which has the same stepper-motor controlling its aperture control that the better Pentax cameras have.
In any case, I would definitely purchase an extended warranty with the K-70 as 'insurance' just in case.

12-19-2020, 02:57 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K70 with SMC-M Lenses?

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
You will find a lot of disagreement amongst members here about the K-70.
Pentax did change design of the aperture-control unit, but it is still solenoid-controlled, and is still getting at least some complaints.
Personally, I paid a couple hundred extra bucks and purchased a KP, which has the same stepper-motor controlling its aperture control that the better Pentax cameras have.
In any case, I would definitely purchase an extended warranty with the K-70 as 'insurance' just in case.

I keep trying to use my old K10 with old SMC-M lenses and the exposure is so far off. Seems like Pentax never fixed this issue back in the day. I have tried all of the custom settings, and it has the latest firmware.

What is the new K70 like, using SMC-M lenses. Any better???
12-19-2020, 06:55 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep trying to use my old K10 with old SMC-M lenses and the exposure is so far off. Seems like Pentax never fixed this issue back in the day. I have tried all of the custom settings, and it has the latest firmware.

What is the new K70 like, using SMC-M lenses. Any better???
By the exposure being "off", do you mean that stop-down metering is wonky?
12-19-2020, 07:45 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K70 with SMC-M Lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
By the exposure being "off", do you mean that stop-down metering is wonky?
Yes, exactly.
12-21-2020, 02:12 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K70 with SMC-M Lenses?

Yes, exactly.
Is metering with the K70 and SMC-M lenses the same as the K10? Manual mode, hit green button to determine exposure?
12-21-2020, 02:37 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Is metering with the K70 and SMC-M lenses the same as the K10? Manual mode, hit green button to determine exposure?
All recent Pentax cameras have used that method with true K- mount {setting aperture ring to anything besides ‘A’} lenses.
12-21-2020, 06:52 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, exactly.
I would suggest posting your query here: Pentax DSLR Discussion - PentaxForums.com or here: Troubleshooting and Beginner Help - PentaxForums.com

I use a handful of manual lenses with my K-70 but mostly adjust the exposure based on experience, not stop-down metering.
12-21-2020, 07:52 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's why I'm leaning towards buying now. Thinking of buying from B&H. Is it worth getting their "Square Trade Protection Plan"?
If you do buy the K-70 or any other camera be sure and buy from B&H through Pentax Forums so it will give Adam a little support. Just a suggestion as it will not affect the price but will help Adam and Pentax forums.
12-23-2020, 08:23 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Continuing this thread, it seems like a lot of the menu system of the K-3 III has been adapted from the Ricoh GR series which has a touch friendly, and this video friendly interface. Hopefully that keeps hope alive in a video centric K-70 replacement body.