Show Printable Version 39 Likes Search this Thread
11-12-2022, 09:45 AM   #91
Unregistered User

..and on..

11-13-2022, 07:04 PM   #92
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
According to Kimio Tanaka, who often has some inside information about Pentax, he has heard from Pentax people that the KF was not developed as a successor to the K-70. He doesn't specifically say that another camera is in development, but I feel there is an implication there that that might be the case and the KF is just to fill in for the interim because they needed to change components and significantly increase the yen price.

This might explain why they didn't want to use a numerical model name that would imply it was the successor model. Perhaps there is a K-90, but it is reserved for a more ambitious camera that isn't ready yet. If you look at it that way, there is another case of similar naming. The KP came between the K-3 II and K-3 III, but it was not really intended as a successor, so they called it something different - KP. Perhaps in Pentax's way of thinking, the the two-letter models are the way they name interim models, so as not to imply the continuation of the line. Of course, this doesn't work, because customers have no idea of the rationale for the naming and interpret it in any number of ways.

I do think they had a problem with how to position this model because the yen has fallen so dramatically. The K-70 cost 66,000 yen from Pentax, while the KF comes in at 110,000. It's a brutal price increase from the Japanese customer's perspective, and I'm sure that is mostly a currency thing. However, you can't just call a camera the same thing and charge 40% more for it. It's a bit cynical, but they needed to launch it as a new model to "reset" the price. I noticed that the K-70 was selling out before the KF was announced, but it sold out instantly afterwards.
11-14-2022, 06:15 AM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
However, you can't just call a camera the same thing and charge 40% more for it. It's a bit cynical, but they needed to launch it as a new model to "reset" the price. I noticed that the K-70 was selling out before the KF was announced, but it sold out instantly afterwards.
Eh, Fuji increased the yen prices on several of their lenses by 20% without needing to re-release anything: https://asset.fujifilm.com/www/ffis/files/2022-10/370ce72773c7b62310bfb167596eed99/news_113.pdf
IMHO, it would have been a (slightly) less controversial way about it.

That said, something something rock and a hard place...
11-17-2022, 03:48 AM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Eh, Fuji increased the yen prices on several of their lenses by 20% without needing to re-release anything: https://asset.fujifilm.com/www/ffis/files/2022-10/370ce72773c7b62310bfb167596eed99/news_113.pdf
IMHO, it would have been a (slightly) less controversial way about it.

That said, something something rock and a hard place...
If they needed to change an important part, they had no choice. Simple as that.

EDIT: But I'd have chose something like K75 if it was me.

Last edited by thibs; 11-17-2022 at 04:03 AM.
11-17-2022, 04:35 AM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
If they needed to change an important part, they had no choice. Simple as that.

EDIT: But I'd have chose something like K75 if it was me.
Sony disagrees. The numbered code changed to ILCE-A7M3_A or something like that but the cameras that got changed (the only customer-noticeable change was also an increase in the resolution of the screen, coincidentally) are marketed the same exact way they were. You have to look at the sticker underneath to see any difference. It's strange that Pentax would be forced to change the name on the badge, considering cars do that every year and don't change branding...

I suppose Pentax either wants to make a new numbered system (KFii, KFiii ,etc.) for entry-level, leaving the well-established K-3 and K-1 as flagships... or they want to make it clear this is an interim model. "KF" is certainly not what I'd have gone with, but it's what it is.
11-17-2022, 05:21 PM - 2 Likes   #96
JPT
Pentaxian

I went to a camera store the other day and noticed something I thought was interesting. When Pentax changed their marketing strategy in spring, that store stopped selling the K-70 and just continued to sell the K-3 III. After that, their online store also showed the K-70 as discontinued months ago. This week they had the flyer for the KF and were taking orders. So I'm wondering if there is something going on with retailers not wanting to bring back a camera they had previously stopped selling unless it is presented as a new product.

Anyway, I really don't see why the name is bothering people. It is truly the most trivial aspect of a product - just the letters written on the body. The KF is still a great value camera and I don't really see which camera you could buy from another maker that offers a stills photographer more for the price.
11-17-2022, 07:42 PM   #97
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Anyway, I really don't see why the name is bothering people. It is truly the most trivial aspect of a product - just the letters written on the body. The KF is still a great value camera and I don't really see which camera you could buy from another maker that offers a stills photographer more for the price.
They could call it “Ishkabibble” as far as I’m concerned.
The name has no effect on photos taken.

11-19-2022, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #98
Pentaxian

I'm not bothered what name the camera has. As far as I'm concerned a new entry level camera has been developed. Maybe, it has only a little upgrade from its predecessor. We have to wait and hear feedback from early users. For me it's a good sign from Ricoh that they are still supporting the K-mount and, that they are providing options for entry level users. That's good enough for me.