Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2020, 09:09 PM   #31
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No, your question was not too dumb/simple. It took a few minutes, but I finally figured out that you are referring to the rarely-used parameter adjust options for the custom image and digital filter features. Those are similar to the tasks that one might do on the computer in post-processing, but apply to in-camera JPEGs. This is not a feature that I personally use and the manual documentation is poor. I was, however, able to find the help for corresponding features of the Digital Camera Utility software that ships with the K-70. This is what I can share, copied from the help files...
  • High/Low Key Adjustment Adjusts the balance between bright and dark areas in an image. Slide right to make the image brighter and left to make it darker. (Comment: This appears to change the balance between light and dark tones.)*
  • Contrast Highlight Adjustment Adjusts the brightness of a highlighted area. Slide right to make the highlighted area brighter and left to make it darker. (Comment: What qualifies as "highlight" is pretty broad.)
If you are adjusting a custom image, you can use the Fx1 button to do a preview exposure that will show you live what changes are being made. Remember that these adjustments only apply to the specific custom image or digital filter and are limited to JPEG only and are not the same as changing exposure. A blown highlight remains a blown highlight, even if adjusted down, just more grayish. I hope this is helpful.

FWIW...I cannot recommend going this route, because the adjustments are pretty coarse and the impact on a particular subject unpredictable. Good luck.

Steve

* I was able to exercise the features on my K-3.
Thanks. I've always just used "natural" in "Custom Image." But the results seem to have changed with this K-70. I'm just now getting around to researching the other settings in Custom Image.
Give further expression with PENTAX "Custom Image" | RICOH IMAGING

12-21-2020, 03:53 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Try to use exposure compensation.