Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2020, 01:21 PM   #1

Unable to make it take multi shots

I got this issue , brand new camera ( a week old, used 4 times so far) , that maybe I'm missing something or the camera's fault, I don't know. That's why I'm asking.

Assume I'm in manual mode and nearly all the little options are off and shooting in RAW mode. (all little options like AA filter simulation, noise reduction, etc. )
The intervalometer (the built in) set to take 22 shots with 2 second intervals, each shot is 30 seconds.
Conditions:
Fresh battery
Formatted/empty card (Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB)
So what happens?
The camera takes 1 shot and that's it.
I tried it at least 20 times, make sure I'm selecting the "INT" function and the second is correct and the number of shots are in!
The camera does 1 shot no matter what.
I tried this in M- mode as well in Bulb mode.
It won't do it.
I attached an external intervalometer and select the intervalometer in the timed exposure menu.
What happens?
1. The camera ignores the meter and takes 1 shot.
Someone can help me with this?
Thanks for any ideas, other than packing it up and returning the camera to the seller.

12-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The simple answer is that the interval time is the time between shutter actuations. As such it should be longer than the shutter time + the time to process. Be aware that for longer exposures you should disable Low Shutter Speed NR in the menus (manual p25). Otherwise, the time will be at least twice the exposure time + processing.

Example: Shots = 22, Exposure = 30s, Interval = 30s + 3s (process) + 2s

Your wired intervalometer likely plays by similar rules.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-11-2020 at 01:49 PM.
12-11-2020, 02:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The simple answer is that the interval time is the time between shutter actuations. As such it should be longer than the shutter time + the time to process. Be aware that for longer exposures you should disable Low Shutter Speed NR in the menus (manual p25). Otherwise, the time will be at least twice the exposure time + processing.

Example: Shots = 22, Exposure = 30s, Interval = 30s + 3s (process) + 2s

Your wired intervalometer likely plays by similar rules.

Steve
Hey thanks Steve!
That's kind of a bummer, but I'm gonna give it a shot. I guess I as pushing it hard with the 2 second breaks.
2 second passes by and it's still processing so the camera just ignores the following interval commands, because it's out of time. Makes sense.
I'm gonna try a longer interval and see what happens.
12-11-2020, 02:40 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please also note: a "30 second" exposure is NOT a 30-second exposure. It is a 32-second exposure, assuming you are setting the camera shutter speed to 30 seconds. Thus you need to allow 2 more seconds for your exposure lengths and interval times.

For more info, see True Shutter Speeds compared to Nominal Shutter Speeds - Actual Measurements - PentaxForums.com

12-11-2020, 02:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

If in the future you decide to use long exposure NR, you may experience even longer processing of each shot. Just in case you did not know already.
12-11-2020, 03:10 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bulbhead Quote
I guess I as pushing it hard with the 2 second breaks.
You are pushing it very hard. The interval time should be about 35 seconds for a 30 second exposure. (Slow Shutter Speed NR = OFF)

The interval is from shutter release to shutter release and must be long enough to account for both the exposure time and time for camera ready. It is NOT the time between exposures.

Steve
12-11-2020, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the other suggestions don't solve this one thing I've run across is that interval mode wants to have the date and time set so if they aren't set it has problems and doesn't work. It took me forever to figure that out with my K-500 which doesn't keep the time when the batteries are removed.

12-11-2020, 06:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Turning off all in-camera processing like NR, Lens Corrections, etc. helps speed up the processing time.
12-11-2020, 09:42 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all the answers. I've found a quicker solution. Basically dial back on the interval menu and there is a "minimal" option instead of a number input. Basically the camera will take as long as it needs to, but not longer.
It's working 100%.
12-11-2020, 10:40 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks for all the answers. I've found a quicker solution. Basically dial back on the interval menu and there is a "minimal" option instead of a number input. Basically the camera will take as long as it needs to, but not longer.
It's working 100%.
Wow! Talk about poorly documented options! is this due to a change in menu C2 12. Interval Shooting Options?

Glad you have a solution.

Steve

(...gonna have to remember that one...near as I can tell, only the K-S2, K-70, and KP have that option)

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-11-2020 at 10:45 PM.
12-11-2020, 11:07 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wow! Talk about poorly documented options! is this due to a change in menu C2 12. Interval Shooting Options?

Glad you have a solution.

Steve

(...gonna have to remember that one...near as I can tell, only the K-S2, K-70, and KP have that option)
Yes, just reverse dial down the interval and after 00001 it's gonna say "minimal".
Makes sense, not sure why would anyone want to wait around if we can just tell the camera "do your thing as much time you need, but not longer" .

---------- Post added 12-11-20 at 11:09 PM ----------

Unless of course, someone wants to reposition the camera or change a settings and want to add some time.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XR  Photo 
12-12-2020, 06:19 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's working 100%.
Another very useful undocumented function. I would think manufactures would want their customers to know everything their product can do.
12-12-2020, 06:39 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
"do your thing as much time you need, but no longer" .

Unless of course, someone wants to reposition the camera or change a settings and want to add some time.
Another option which is what I often do for my timelapse is using continuous shooting with wireless remote control. Hit the remote the first time to shoot, hit another time to tell the camera to stop. The camera will keep shooting one after another for this option.
An off-brand one is less than 5USD on Ebay.
12-12-2020, 08:20 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
Another option which is what I often do for my timelapse is using continuous shooting with wireless remote control. Hit the remote the first time to shoot, hit another time to tell the camera to stop. The camera will keep shooting one after another for this option.
An off-brand one is less than 5USD on Ebay.
If the wired intervalometer supports a duration setting, this works nicely, though I think the intent is for timed operation using "B".

Steve