Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2021, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #1

k70 and astro tracer

got the first use of the astrotracer last night been waiting a month for clouds to be gone.

works pretty good how ever.

I did a few shots last night using the timer, I played around at different times on the timer, from 2' too 4'30" minutes. how ever the timer quit taking all shots at 2 minutes no matter what I set the timer to in the camera.

pretty sure set up correctly,
turned on astrotracer
calibrated, said ok got the green sat on the screen
pushed green button to go from blub to timer mode
set timer

any ideas why the timer is not taking the shot at what it is set too?

thanks

3 of the shots from last night , im happy with results for first time using it.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
01-22-2021, 09:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Are you using "Astrophoto" mode (U3 on the mode dial, if you've not re-assigned it) ? … not that I'm sure if that makes a difference for this problem.
At 18mm you shouldn't be restricted to such a short time, 4 or 5 minutes if I remember correctly (we've had almost endless cloud as well, I'm a bit rusty).
Maybe the camera is shutting down because of low temperature affecting the battery … pure guess
01-22-2021, 11:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are some good pointers in this link!
PENTAX: The choice for astrophotography / explore | RICOH IMAGING
01-22-2021, 11:42 AM   #4

Original Poster
interesting, just looked at u3, it is assigned to astrophoto will try it tonight if the darn fog burns off by then.
battery is fine lots of juice in it. fresh charge before I start
thanks

02-13-2021, 10:36 PM   #5

Do you have High ISO SNR and Long Exposure SNR turned on?
If you do, your camera is taking darks to calibrate your shots. Your camera is not really turned off, but it looks like it is.
If you want to exactly have your camera do as the intervalometer programmed, then you will need those off.
Having Long exposure SNR on, your camera is gonna take twice as long to take the the exposures , because it's matching the previous shot exposure time with a calibration frame to reduce noise.
But to remind you, if you turn it off, it's best to take dark shots (with the dust cap on, same ISO same length of exposure, same aperture) after you are done taking pictures. and you have to manually stack those images in one of the many image stacking programs. (sequator, deep sky stacker etc. )
Also turn off Moire control (those grey lines) and all the other tid bits they have it set on the astrotracer program. Basically all the fancy options off and for WB, use daylight and of course no autofocus. If you won't be using your viewfinder, it's also a good practice to cover that with a piece of tape or similar, to stop light entering there (it can, i had that issue) .
A

Last edited by Bulbhead; 02-13-2021 at 10:43 PM.