Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2021, 08:15 AM   #1

Sand under the shutter/focus button.

Hi all,

I seem to have some grit/sand in my shutter/focus button. It seems to be stuck down, so as soon as you turn it on it takes pictures, i have played around with it with no luck. The camera is a K-70, but I'm guessing the part is similar on most Pentax DSLRs. Do they just pop off if I get a nail underneath the plastic on/off label surround? I dont want to force anything, but I'm sure if I could get access to the actual button it it would easily free up.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Conor

02-04-2021, 12:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Conor,
If the camera is still under warranty, I'd suggest sending it in for repair. The button does not just "pop off" so attempting to pry it up won't work. To gain access to the back of the button assembly, the entire top plate needs to be removed and that's quite a bit of work.
Regards,
Mark
02-04-2021, 02:09 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Conor Rowlands Quote
Hi all,

I seem to have some grit/sand in my shutter/focus button. It seems to be stuck down, so as soon as you turn it on it takes pictures, i have played around with it with no luck. The camera is a K-70, but I'm guessing the part is similar on most Pentax DSLRs. Do they just pop off if I get a nail underneath the plastic on/off label surround? I dont want to force anything, but I'm sure if I could get access to the actual button it it would easily free up.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Conor
If you are feeling adventurous here is a write up by Photogem that may help on disassembly of the k70.

Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com
02-10-2021, 05:05 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Conor Rowlands Quote
Hi all,

Indeed, most ON/OFF / Release-buttons are similar on most Pentax DSLRs.

Even if there is warranty, they might deny it because getting a grain of sand there could be a reason to do so, depending how urgent they need money.

But it is easy to fix and you follow the instructions shown HERE

How to disassemble the ON-OFF Switch and Shutter-Release-Button you can see HERE

I would advice you as you anyway have the camera open, buy of find a white Japan-solenoid and replace that as well.

But that's your choice of course, but I would most certainly do it if it were my K-70 because one has piece of mind and the K-70 fires faster
particular when doing serials!

If the switch is different, take photos and show us of course!

Every step is useful for others.

It is important for those who help to have feedback how the suggestions worked or what the outcome was!

Last edited by photogem; 02-10-2021 at 06:22 AM.