Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-21-2021, 08:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Back button AF and AE/L

Hello

Is it possible to have both back button focusing and also AE lock functionality at the same time?
I am having AF2 for back button focusing. I am trying to see if I can program any other button to act as AE lock button. Any help? Thanks

02-22-2021, 01:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
Hello

Is it possible to have both back button focusing and also AE lock functionality at the same time?
I am having AF2 for back button focusing. I am trying to see if I can program any other button to act as AE lock button. Any help? Thanks
Which camera are you using?
02-22-2021, 02:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

On the KP the fx2 and fx3 can both be set to AE-Lock if AE-L is set to AF1/2
02-22-2021, 02:54 AM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello

I don't think you can do that with the K-70. A workaround could be to use M mode (and use the green button for auto-exposure). That way you'll have an always-on AE lock. Expose with the green button, focus with the AE lock button, shoot.

Ususally I prefer EV compensation over AE lock, though. Unless I really want one specific exposure over time, in which case I would use M mode anyway.

02-22-2021, 03:01 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the kp, (in AP) my front dial is exposure comp, top is Iso, rear is aperture, AF/AE-L is back button focus and the top exposure button set to exposure lock
02-22-2021, 04:48 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Would AE/L with AF locked accomplish what you want? Setting it to "On" would lock the exposure when the focus is locked by a half-press of the shutter button or AFAIK using back button focus too. That's in the camera settings, Custom page 1, line 6.

I can try it later if no one else can confirm in the meantime.

Last edited by gatorguy; 02-22-2021 at 07:55 AM.
02-22-2021, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Which camera are you using?
K70 specific forum.

02-22-2021, 07:52 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
K70 specific forum.
I for one am not paying attention this morning and edited my post for no particular reason. Geesh. thought you were telling me I was in the wrong place, which wouldn't be the first time.
02-22-2021, 07:59 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I for one am not paying attention this morning and edited my post for no particular reason. Geesh. thought you were telling me I was in the wrong place, which wouldn't be the first time.
Lol. No. I was merely trying to answer a question about which camera the op was using.
02-22-2021, 07:23 PM   #10

Hello

Why? Histogram and Instant Review give you real time feedback on exposure. So Manual is easy. With AE-L, you can change position and the exposure changes and you're stuck with that.
02-22-2021, 09:00 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Benedict Michael Quote
Why? Histogram and Instant Review give you real time feedback on exposure. So Manual is easy. With AE-L, you can change position and the exposure changes and you're stuck with that.
I do mostly bird photography. Sometimes when shooting birds against sky or bright background, i quickly do a meter against green (like point at a tree, press AE-Lock to meter) and shoot the bird.

Manual mode is something I have to learn better. With birds that are busy, it is difficult to play with dials at that time. I tend to use Av mode most of the time. Sometimes do TAv mode. Things are easier with my K-5iis. I was hoping there was a work around/trick to get that AE-L feature in K70 as well.

Thanks all for the help

---------- Post added 23-02-21 at 09:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Would AE/L with AF locked accomplish what you want? Setting it to "On" would lock the exposure when the focus is locked by a half-press of the shutter button or AFAIK using back button focus too. That's in the camera settings, Custom page 1, line 6.

I can try it later if no one else can confirm in the meantime.
I don't want to lock focus. Only exposure locked. I meter against green when there is a backlit subject.